Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is centering more important than corners ?

What o you think ?
And what does the market at whole think ?

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Personally, I want a centered card.
    Market, varies on supply and demand.
    JMHO
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I think they both have importance.. but I personally think a centered card has more eye appeal.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I think they both have importance.. but I personally think a centered card has more eye appeal. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If you compare two 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle cards, both in PSA 5... one has rough corners but is dead centered, and the other has decent corners but is OC, I would prefer the centered card.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Centered always sells for a PREMIUM.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too don't like a card that is off-centered, however the corners are still very important. I would rather have a 8 or 8.5 that was slightly off-center than a dead centered 7. Also I am more forgiving on top to bottom centering, especially on horizontal cards that are centered a little high, but well side to side.

If I am spending my money on a card, I want it to have some kind of value in the future so corners and centering are both important. I really stay away from a card with any kind of qualifier.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All things considered I prefer a centered EX/MNT card over a NM card that has sharper corners.

In some cases I'd prefer a true EX card over a card net graded as a 7

Once I get into the 8's and 9's they must be both decently centered and have sharp corners.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centering worse than 70-30 is worse than a card with visible wear on the corners in my opinion. Though corners are important, centering is the higher priority.
  • Options
    I'd prefer 6OC with sharp corners to 4 with rounded corners. Obviously, MC is a different story.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    With vintage cards (I'm talking 1920s and earlier), I would take the off-center card. Any card from that era which would get an 8OC would be welcomed over a PSA 6 in my book, simply because of how tough it is for those cards to survive in high grade.

For more modern cards, I would likely go centering over corners in most cases.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, and I am in the minority, I can't stand soft corners. They bug me way more than centering. But, I like to have both obviously.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Matter of degrees for me. Fuzzy corners are better than 80-20; 63-35 is better then rounded corners.

But can we all agree that tilts are the worst???
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Personally, it just depends on the card.

1971 Topps is easy to see how messed up the corners are. If it is a little OC, no problem. The black border sets can change things. White borders don't look as bad.

Dave
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the set.

If I'm looking for an 8? I want both equally.

If I'm looking at a 5 or 6? The centering will trump the corners.
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, and I am in the minority, I can't stand soft corners. They bug me way more than centering. But, I like to have both obviously. >>

Agreed.

<< <i> But can we all agree that tilts are the worst??? >>

Without a doubt.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Hard to discuss hypothetical situations without seeing cards but I would say there are definitely times which I would go with corners.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ...The market and therefore grading scales favor centering.
  • Options
    Centering
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Centering is more important to me.
    After all, there is no RC (Rounded Corners) qualifier.

Logan
  • Options
    Centering, and I try to avoid tilts as much as possible. Take away the l, and that's a different story. image
  • Options
    centering and corners equally important when separating the best vintage from the rest.

however, neither matters if the surface of the card is anything less than brilliant colors, crisp image and focus, no print flaws.

you heard here first.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am more about print defects, focus and color then corners then centering but all within the definition of the grade I am buying.

I expect a NM or better card to be centered and have better corners than a EXMT or below card, however a lot of times a EXMT card can have better focus, color or free of printing defects so that is why I look for that much harder as it doesn't harm the grades as much as corners and centering does.

Examples of cards where print defects are common, Molitor RC, 61 Aaron in name area, 61 Clemente with black dot in upper left border, 62's and 70's with the print line on the top of the cards. I won't purchase any of those cards if they have those defects in ANY grade.

Also for cards with very thin borders centering is almost a non issue.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on the set.

If I'm looking for an 8? I want both equally.

If I'm looking at a 5 or 6? The centering will trump the corners. >>

This is how I feel...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Centering is very important to the majority for sure however,I too prefer a centered card .If corners exibit slight corner ware I am OK with it.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)