Home Precious Metals

Platinum is getting interesting to me, have questions about re-selling

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
Margins are higher than gold, any trouble getting a portion back selling to a B and M? Also, ever had a B and M not really need platinum when they would purchase gold? I feel liquidity may not be as strong as gold or silver-correct or not?----------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of Platinum and Palladium sitting in dealer cases for what seems to be forever. In talking to a few, there seems to be little interest in either. Part of this may be due to the overall 'excitement' about Ag and Au, though.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct. Platinum will never be as widely sought nor as liquid as gold & silver.

However, I think that it is *liquid enough*. Your local B&M may not want it, but ebay will always act as a last resort liquidator. In fact, platinum listings on ebay seem to be at a low right now, and I've tracked ebay listings for platinum for about 10 years. The listings dry up when the price gets hit. (That doesn't mean nobody wants it - it means that nobody wants to discount it.image)

There is also a ready market for platinum at any of the major dealers - tulving, Silvertowne, Apmex, and others.

The margins may be wider, but there are also bargains in buying if you find the right seller - so things average out over time.

The thing is, at some point there may be the very real possibility of an enduring platinum shortage. That's what keeps me interested.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.