Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thinking about a Mike Modano basic set...

I've not collected much hockey, but live near Dallas and have always been a big Modano fan. I went to the Stanley Cup Finals in '99 and it was definitely the coolest live sporting event I've ever seen and that includes a Super Bowl and NBA finals. Anyway, I'm wondering how challenging/frustrating it is to chase a set with very few total graded cards. Will I find myself buying a bunch of unopened stuff and subbing my own cards? Modern hockey seems pretty inexpensive in general, but this could add up. Just looking for a little encouragement or discouragement. Any other Modano fans?

jbox

Comments

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Good luck if you decide to do so. I only collect hockey but cannot collect player sets, only full sets. They are VERY frustrating and he is just not a widely collected player. You will have to sub alot yourself if you start the set. If you want to do it for fun then def. do it, but if you intend to profit later from the set-it will never happen. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Options

jbox,

I am currently in the number one spot on his master set. He was one of my favorite players, saw his whole career from being drafted to retirement. I know I will never have every card of him because he is a modern player and there is just to much stuff out there. Tomi is right in that he is not collected very much and you will have to sub a lot yourself. A basic set would be the best place if you want to dabble in collecting his cards, but just remember both his master and basic sets listed are far from complete listings. There are a ton more cards that haven't been graded and could be added to each set.

So my advice is start the basic set and add to it with the cards you get graded yourself do not buy alot of cards that are already graded unless you get a great deal. The reason is you can buy his cards for very little and sub them on a special and still come out spending less money than buying graded already. Also have fun with it. That is what I am doing now and am in no hurry to complete his master set.

Good luck.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Being from Michigan myslef, I have always followed his career. Think it would be cheaper just to buy his stuff already graded than buying and submitting yourself.
  • Options

Stingray,

I would agree with you if his graded cards were around more. Over the last couple of years I have bought 3-4 cards that were already graded, they just don't come up that often except some of his rookie cards. There is one dealer that has cards that are already graded and in my opinion are overpriced on them.

Maybe his retirement will spark some intrest and more graded will come up on the bay.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I love his 90 Kraft card.. I had a BGS 9 on that one but sold it years ago..
    One of my favorite players...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to pursue all of his rookie cards first and keep an eye out for some nice basic set examples along the way and see how it goes. I'll probably bust some cheap wax along the way too since that's always fun. I'll update what I'm opening in case any of you hockey guys are looking for someone. I'm happy to help any way I can.

jbox
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If you buy a 90 Kraft set I would love the Gretzky and Lemieux if they are mint..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658