Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

So what are the most desirable pre-1983 non-sports trading cards?

OK, another big noob question, but, it seems kind of sleepy around here so I'll ask anyway: what are the most desirable pre-1983 non-sports trading cards?

I'm picking 1983 as the cut-off year because that's when I quit collecting cards as a kid. (My heyday was 1977-1983.) Nothing after 1983 really interests me at the moment (but that could change, who knows?)

Anyway, my top two guesses are:

Mars Attacks
Wacky Packages

Followed by what, and in what order? Here are my other wild guesses --

Topps Batman/ Star Wars/ Civil War News/ Topps Battle/ Horrors of War/ G-men & Heroes of the Law/ Three Stooges/ Star Trek

I'm sure there are many, many others. So, school me, folks!

Comments

• Options
    Indian Gum, Allen & Ginter Indians, Allen & Ginter Flags, Kinney Military, Duke's Generals, Sea Raiders.

I bet Buchner Defenders and Offenders would be up there except there are only about 20 sold in the last 10 years....from a set of 200.
  • Options
    LOST in SPACE
    OUTER LIMITS
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Mars Attacks, Stooges, Beatles, Elvis, Lost In Space, Munsters, Batman, Star Trek.......
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Mars Attacks, Stooges, Beatles, Elvis, Lost In Space, Munsters, Batman, Star Trek....... >>

Dark Shadows???

I only ask because I found some recently at my folks' house.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Space cards, salmon/pink/orange backs, Target moon.

Mars Attacks are played out.

Good for you.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i was thinking of doing a Mars Attacks mid grade set, prices seem to have come down a lot.
  • Options

<< <i>i was thinking of doing a Mars Attacks mid grade set, prices seem to have come down a lot. >>

Evening,

5/6 sets are a lot more doable than a couple of years ago, should be able to do this on a reasonable budget. I'd offer to help but actually just sold my last lot of 5 & 6's to another board member to get them started.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Mars Attacks rule! Not played out!! image
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, The Flying Nun and Partridge Family!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    wish I could spend more on the non sports but I'm completing a graded 1980 You'll Die Laughing set so I am partial to it along with the sticker set that goes with it..........I'm also considering doing a Dallas set only because I used to watch that show and JR's antics
  • Options
    A couple more fun sets are:

1965 Donruss Disneyland Puzzlebacks
    1966 Topps Get Smart
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    Bee The cat is out of the bag regarding Mars Attacks, for years the hype worked.

Now, any day of the week you can find all you need or want on ebay.

Of course I'm talking about raw and lower graded stuff.

A set in 7 or 8 is still somewhat difficult. I'd like to do a set in strict PSA 6.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Bee The cat is out of the bag regarding Mars Attacks, for years the hype worked.

Now, any day of the week you can find all you need or want on ebay.

Of course I'm talking about raw and lower graded stuff.

A set in 7 or 8 is still somewhat difficult. I'd like to do a set in strict PSA 6. >>

That's what I really collect...PSA 7 and 8's so I haven't been following the lower grade stuff really, although I have seen some 6's sell for pretty high lately. I am getting close to a complete set but am not listing them on the registry for now.
  • Options
    Bunch of 7's and 8's on ebay right now.....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'll be bidding if the price is right and I'm not out of cash by auction's endimage
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>Mars Attacks, Stooges, Beatles, Elvis, Lost In Space, Munsters, Batman, Star Trek....... >>

What would be considered the card to have of the Beatles?
    Hook'em
  • Options

<< <i>

What would be considered the card to have of the Beatles? >>

There is no particular card of the Beatles that is highly desired. They have many cards from the US and overseas. In my opinion, the two key sets are the Topps Color set and the Anglo Yello Submarine set. If you were looking to collect a special Beatles card, maybe you could go with the first 4 cards from the Color set:

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    The Topps 1957 Hit Stars sets always sell for $800-1300 no matter the condition, not bad for a 80 card set. If anyone has #51 The Crickets I'll pay big for one.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Topps Made a bunch of great non-sports sets in the 1950s,
    here's just a few that I enjoy:

1958 Topps TV Westerns

1953 Topps License Plates

1955 Topps 'Rails & Sails'

rd
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Is there any interest in the market in any of these mid-1950s Topps cards? I have a few.

1956 Davy Crockett (orange back), 1956 Flags of the World, 1952 Wings, 1957 Planes, 1955 Rails and Sails, 1953 Fighting Marines, and 1953 or 1954 World on Wheels.

From what I can see on eBay, these are not that popular, with the exception of maybe the Davy Crockett cards which have some mild interest.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What would be considered the card to have of the Beatles? >>

There is no particular card of the Beatles that is highly desired. They have many cards from the US and overseas. In my opinion, the two key sets are the Topps Color set and the Anglo Yello Submarine set. If you were looking to collect a special Beatles card, maybe you could go with the first 4 cards from the Color set:

>>

Thanks! I might do that
    Hook'em
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    judge...

when you say that you "have a few", does that mean that you have a few for sale?

If so, I am looking for Flags #7 Turkey and #40 France

I also need about 12 or so Crockett Oranges.

Thanks!

Nick