Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Dodger Manager Don Mattingly

Mattingly has the disheveled Dodgers over .500 for the year. Great job, with maybe some votes for Manager of the year.

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    The Dodgers issues are 100% the fault of GM Ned Colletti (and the ownership situation probably tying his hands). The freaking team has a 3 All stars including a Pitching Triple Crown winner and likely a top 2 MVP candidate. And yet here are the WAR's of their infielders:

J Loney 1.1
    J Carroll 1.5
    D Gordon 0.3 (Furcal's was -0.5)
    A Miles 0.3 (Blake's was 0.6)

Their issues are all about their light hitting infield and mediocre relief pitching. If Ted Lilly/Chad Billingsley/Hiroki Kuroda were on the Yankees, they'd all be 5 games over .500. James Loney has played 156 games for the Dodgers this year...his splits are 287/339/412. That's a 156 game OPS of .751 out of a power position (and 11 total Home Runs). Mattingly isn't to blame in the least. They simply need to surround their All Stars with better players.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's too bad, this actually turned out to be a likeable team to the 20 or so people who frequented Dodger Stadium this season.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Kemp deserves the MVP

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

• << <i>Kemp deserves the MVP

IMF >>

Carrying a team to the playoffs > carrying a team to .500

Braun deserves the MVP

<< <i>it's too bad, this actually turned out to be a likeable team to the 20 or so people who frequented Dodger Stadium this season. >>

I went to at least 30 games (most for free - I'm pretty broke)...and this statement couldn't be more true. For example, I had seen Kershaw pitch 7-8 times in person and purposefully went and paid for decent seats to see him win his 20th. There were probably 25,000 there w/ 30,000 empty seats but every single person in the stands knew the stakes. It was all people that just loved baseball seemingly. People were hanging on every pitch for a .500 team in September. Every time Matt Kemp came up, everyone was fired up too.

Frankly, especially with Kershaw, it was like seeing a band at a small club 3 years before they make it big and telling the story to your friends forever. LA is a huge frontrunning city. They love winners, but the 20,000 like-minded people I watched baseball with this year saw a couple of really special years that everyone else missed out on. I'll be telling my friends and kids that I saw Kershaw dominate everyone during a Triple Crown season until I die....everyone else will just lie about it.

And I'm not even a Dodgers fan! Just a transplanted Red Sox fan who loves baseball.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>it's too bad, this actually turned out to be a likeable team to the 20 or so people who frequented Dodger Stadium this season. >>

I went to at least 30 games (most for free - I'm pretty broke)...and this statement couldn't be more true. For example, I had seen Kershaw pitch 7-8 times in person and purposefully went and paid for decent seats to see him win his 20th. There were probably 25,000 there w/ 30,000 empty seats but every single person in the stands knew the stakes. It was all people that just loved baseball seemingly. People were hanging on every pitch for a .500 team in September. Every time Matt Kemp came up, everyone was fired up too.

Frankly, especially with Kershaw, it was like seeing a band at a small club 3 years before they make it big and telling the story to your friends forever. LA is a huge frontrunning city. They love winners, but the 20,000 like-minded people I watched baseball with this year saw a couple of really special years that everyone else missed out on. I'll be telling my friends and kids that I saw Kershaw dominate everyone during a Triple Crown season until I die....everyone else will just lie about it.

And I'm not even a Dodgers fan! Just a transplanted Red Sox fan who loves baseball. >>

Nice
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Happy birthday Don
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Greencrow, if you pull up an old Hitler thread for his birthday, we're gonna have problems...
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greencrow, I'm a little mad at you. Billy Butler had a birthday two days ago, and not a peep out of you.
    He's hitting .375, thats not worth a happy birthday.
    Either do your job or we'll find someone to replace you!
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's high time the Donnie Dodgers get the props they deserve.

happy four twenty.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

As a former and future season ticket holder, I can tell you this is a crock. Not attending Dodger games the last few years has nothing to do with being a frontrunner, it has everything to do with not wanting to give a dime from the scum (imported from Boston) that currently owns the team.
    May 1st is opening day, the first opening day in about 4 years. Magic and Company take over, and I'm sure everyone else that has boycotted will start returning.
    Not a moment too soon, getting a bit tired of seeing the Lancaster Jethawks and Rancho Cucamonga Quakes!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Happy Birthday Donnie Baseball!

2012 Yankees Vs. Dodgers World Series

Yanks in six!

• pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Mattingly has the disheveled Dodgers over .500 for the year. Great job, with maybe some votes for Manager of the year. >>

Mgr of the year? After 13 games? Last time I checked Donny and his Dodgers still had 149 left to play. Check back in late Sept.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    When he posted that, it WAS September...
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When he posted that, it WAS September... >>

These dang old posts always get me too!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
    >>

As a former and future season ticket holder, I can tell you this is a crock. Not attending Dodger games the last few years has nothing to do with being a frontrunner, it has everything to do with not wanting to give a dime from the scum (imported from Boston) that currently owns the team.
    May 1st is opening day, the first opening day in about 4 years. Magic and Company take over, and I'm sure everyone else that has boycotted will start returning.
    Not a moment too soon, getting a bit tired of seeing the Lancaster Jethawks and Rancho Cucamonga Quakes! >>

I'm sure there will be some returnees...but more and more, especially as an outsider, you have to say that basketball owns this town. I'll check back in with you on a Tuesday night in early August and tell you how many are out there to see the Rockies. I doubt more than 25K legit. And I vehemently disagree with you about LA. It is most definitely a frontrunning town. See Kings, LA: playoffs. Kobe's not at Game 3 if they're down 0-2.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When he posted that, it WAS September... >>

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    In the first decade of this century Dodger Stadium had the highest attendance of any team in the majors- 34mm. They didn't make the league championship once, and never made the WS. The Yankees were close behind, but made the playoffs virtually every year.
    In the '90's they were second only to Toronto, but I believe the AL counted tickets sold back then, while the NL counted actual people thru the gate. They didn't make the WS that decade either, and really sucked some years. In the '60's, 70's and 80's the Dodgers out drew every other team in the majors. They were in the WS a few times each decade, but even in non winning years outdrew virtually every other team in the majors.
    All time Dodger Stadium has outdrawn every other stadium in the majors except Yankee Stadium, which had a 29 year head start. Even with that NY is only 9 million ahead. LA has outdrawn Boston by 4 million, despite spotting Fenway a 40 year jump.

Takes a few years living here to see thru the stereotypes and pick up on reality.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

It's not like I just moved here. I know 10 years isn't 50 but it's not a horrible sample size. It's not hard to look at Clippers crowds this year and see that tickets cost me $30-$40 more per ticket to go just because they're good. I've been to at least 10 games/year a Dodger Stadium since 02. It's a great place to see a game. The sight lines are fantastic and the people that I do see there really care and know their baseball. But to say that McCourt was the only reason that people are going away is shying away from the issue a little bit. When they brought in Manny and were in the LCS in 09, that place was full (although still not full on weeknights).

And yes, they have 55K seats to Fenway's 38K (and it was 34K until 6 years ago). Math will tell you they should pass Boston.

My main point from whenever this thread started was how great a time I had watching baseball with really sparse crowds last year. I know the owner stunk and they seriously don't have an infield (and have 3 guys slugging over .400 on an 11-3 team right now!)...but to stay away when Kershaw is having an All Time great season tells me that people just don't care as much as they used to. If you don't want to give your money to McCourt, you could have parked on Academy Road, not bought any concessions and got freebie or cheap tickets. That's what I did.

But if you want to fight it out, I can swing by the Glendale show, shake hands and pick around some commons that I need for my TTM sets this weekend! image

<< <i>
    But if you want to fight it out, I can swing by the Glendale show, shake hands and pick around some commons that I need for my TTM sets this weekend! image >>

Sounds good, first beer is on me!