Home Precious Metals
Options

Doug Casey's latest. How to prepare.

Here.

This is certainly worth a read. The next ten years are going to be rugged.
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CEO of the company I'm at right now just blasted the US gov tax/reg situation and said we're looking at a long, slow hole.

I like the part about cutting gov by 90%!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The U.S. has turned into a larger version of Argentina politically, where the electorate is effectively bribed to vote for the biggest thief. It is likely to turn out much worse than Argentina. Unlike the Argentines, the U.S. government is fairly efficient. And, unlike Argentina, the U.S. is rapidly turning into a police state."

This really stuck out at me.

If Casey's prediction comes true we can kiss our 401K good bye.

Buenos Aires is divided into a dozen or so local mafia-gov'ts to tend to the needs of their respective barrio because there's no confidence in the Nation's gov't. Apathy is the norm. I have been in and out of Buenos Aires since 2002 and have listened to my contacts and what they say is heart wrenching. The people have been ripped of their life's savings coaxed to save the country in return for a gov't pension. They got nothing. The self-loating and hate for country is palpable. They admittedly say "we suck."
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    What's funny is Casey Research keeps sending my invitations to go to Argentina and buy property.

La Estancia de Cafayate

Doug Casey is part owner.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The CEO of the company I'm at right now just blasted the US gov tax/reg situation and said we're looking at a long, slow hole.

I like the part about cutting gov by 90%! >>

The gov has cut us and our wealth by 90% over the past few decades. Now it's the govs turn!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting the link.

I think most of his points are right on. I also think he--and most conservatives--undervalue the role of government. A blind anti-government stance is madness. He's absolutely correct that military spending from G.W.'s wars is a major culprit in the current crisis, but statements about shrinking government by 90% are just stupid and irresponsible. 10-20% maybe, and I do think that could be achieved through greater efficiency, but turning education, transportation, and many other vital services over to private vendors would be a disaster for Americans as a whole. Whenever this has been tried, at least where I live it's been a failure and has stuck taxpayers with much larger bills and headaches.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    David Stockman was on Squawk and he mentioned in 1995 the top 5% accumulated over $8 trillion in wealth. Today it is over $40 trillion. He blames the Fed for this. Easy taxpayer money for the financial sector. stockman
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting read. Thanks for posting the link.

I think most of his points are right on. I also think he--and most conservatives--undervalue the role of government. A blind anti-government stance is madness. He's absolutely correct that military spending from G.W.'s wars is a major culprit in the current crisis, but statements about shrinking government by 90% are just stupid and irresponsible. 10-20% maybe, and I do think that could be achieved through greater efficiency, but turning education, transportation, and many other vital services over to private vendors would be a disaster for Americans as a whole. Whenever this has been tried, at least where I live it's been a failure and has stuck taxpayers with much larger bills and headaches. >>

The excessive gov't spending since LBJ's Great Society hasn't paid off, imo. Your suggestion of 10-20% I welcome but together we would be considered as radical gov't haters by the current occupiers in DC.
    Coolidge and Harding cut gov't 50% to combat the 1921 depression with great success. Of course that America was much less dependent on gov't than today's Amerika.
    Conservatives today know all to well that the path is unsustainable and that's why they have shined a flood light onto the problem. The backlash comes from those who are afraid that their "nanny" is about to get fired.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting reading, thanks for the info. !!!
    Timbuk3