Home Sports Talk
Options

"Catching Hell" The Steve Bartman Story- GREAT!

PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
Wondering if anyone caught (get it) the documentary on Cubs fan Steve Bartman tonight on ESPN? I thought it was one of the best sports documentaries I've ever seen. Just the whole story about how they had to disguise him just to get him out of Wrigley that night was amazing. Check it out if you get a chance.

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    It's now been eight years--how's he doing now?

PS: As everyone here knows, I clearly saw the other surrounding fans reaching for the ball just as he was and I think it's grossly unfair to single him out.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I watched the entire thiing.

I think it's incredibly cool that he has never discussed this with anyone. They said he has turned down "hundreds of thousands of dollars" in interview and book requests. He has literally fallen off the face of the Earth. I kept watching...expecting to see Bartmann tell his side. It was almost cooler when I realized that he was NOT going to be on there.

P.S. I TOTALLY blame Moises Alou for all that Bartmann has had to endure.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. I TOTALLY blame Moises Alou for all that Bartmann has had to endure. >>

The blame is totally on the fans that have threatened to harm him. Alou certainly helped trigger the immediate hate for him, but if every Cubs fan had a brain, they would have forgiven him by the next day.
  • Options
    Without Alou's childish over-reacting, those dopey drunks would never have known the difference and they would not have replayed it 50 times during the game.

His fault
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was an interesting program. I can't blame Bartman, he was just trying to catch a foul ball. I don't blame Alou for reacting that way either, he just wanted to go to the world series. Not like it was a regular season game. The shortshop for the Cubs botched a perfect double play ball after the Bartman incident and the pitchers were giving up hit after hit, just the perfect nightmare scenario for Bartman, who was just an unfortunate scapegoat.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without Alou's childish over-reacting, those dopey drunks would never have known the difference and they would not have replayed it 50 times during the game.

His fault >>

Using your logic, there's a lot of people at fault, such as the batter for hitting the foul ball, or the vendors for selling beer to the fans. How about we blame the people that DIRECTLY made Bartman fear for his life?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alou did react poorly, fan interference happens and most don't react like that.

I made a point to see the show even made the GF watch. Thought it was real well done.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Alous reaction and the media made it to be what it was. Sure there were alot of Cub fans frustrated and angry at the situation but most forgave Bartman and understood why they really lost that game.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The whole event had a medieval feeling to it. If a virgin could be thrown into a volcano in order for the Cubs to make it to a World Series, I am certain the fans would all vote for it.
  • Options
    It was an interesting show, I saw it on youtube.

It's fascinating that bartman has turned down so much money....in this era of celebrity, dancing with the stars....people doing anything for fame or $$$. Pretty rare. Also considering the guy next to him caught the ball (and said if the cubs lose, this will be worth a lot of money).

I thought bartman was alone, didn't know he came with two friends. Didn't that add to his mystic...kind of being a loner, or seen as aloof (with the earphones)? I don't remember reading much about the people next to him (the lawyer and pub owner) when it originally happened. The whole thing is pretty crazy looking back on it.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic documentary. What I don't understand is that unless he completely changed his appearance, I assume he must get recognized around town? Yet there are no internet photos or anything of him. And unless he changed his name, everyone he works with or works for must know who he is? I'm amazed at how little information there is about him.
  • Options
    Ironically, ESPN, who aired this, had much to do with the blame. They focused on Bartman and essentially singled him out.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fantastic documentary. What I don't understand is that unless he completely changed his appearance, I assume he must get recognized around town? Yet there are no internet photos or anything of him. And unless he changed his name, everyone he works with or works for must know who he is? I'm amazed at how little information there is about him. >>

He hasn't changed his name. There's a guy on the net54 board that works with him.

Tabe
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Often lost in the Steve Bartman fiasco is the fact that if Cubs SS Alex Gonzalez doesn't boot a routine grounder, Steve Bartman is still anonymous to the world.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is on again, so I am watching again.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I enjoyed it, too, but I was surprised that it was as much a documentary about Bill Buckner as it was about Bartman... if not more so.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I wish they could have had an interview with him...even if it was one of those "you only see a shadow, and hear a computerized version of his voice"-type interviews. I want to know how he feels today, in his own words.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    If I were Bartman, I would have had a press conference and told the fans to get a (expletive) life and to go to hell, and if they want to make my life miserable to "come and get me."

It was the most disgusting displays that I ever seen in sports. I watched this, and literally got sick to my stomach.

To use a blackjack metaphor, Bartman was sitting in the "3rd base" (how appropriate) spot, which is the seat just before the dealer plays his cards. When that player screws up, and the table loses, he gets all of the blame. The cards come out of the shoe in a random order, so it does not matter how anyone plays their cards (I am sure that you are not interested in a mathematical proof).

Personally, I would have moved to Virginia and got a weapons permit if I were Bartman!