Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this coin contaminated with PVC?

PCGS sent this beauty back 97'd. That can mean several things, but I believe it is PVC contamination. I did my best to take good photos of the coin/contamination, however, I just can't seem to get the lighting just right to show the big, blackish, dull area that goes from around the mintmark to the "A" in America and it covers the entire area. This is a beautifully toned 1904-P 1c, and if it weren't for the spots, and blackish area on the obverse, I believe it would grade MS65 or better. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• This one is confusing. I'm not sure whether it's black toning, or pvc contamination. Also, this could MAYBE be a proof. I just can't tell, I have seen 1903 10c proofs that look worse.
    imageimage

• This is a nice, AU 1934-M 5c. I'm pretty sure that's PVC around the man's foot, or a bad case of trenchfoot. Are nickels safe to soak?

• On the 1904 Centavo, I'd say no. Some of those spots look like dreaded carbon spotting to me. There's not much, if anything, you can do about them. Sorry.

PCGS says 97 means "Environmental Damage" described as "Corrosion, excessive toning, verdigris", but it also can be applied to anything that could be called environmental damage, so carbon spotting could have been the cause for the 97. I can't see any verdigris or corrosion, and "excessive toning" is further described by PCGS as follows. "Toning that is excessively dark or heavy, or which burns into the surface of the coin, may be rejected." I don't believe that is the case, so my bet is on either the black spots or the excessive "chatter" that I think I see in the fields.

Since it has already been 97'd, if you wanted to crack it out and soak it in acetone, I wouldn't see a problem with that, but I'd be surprised if you saw any improvement.

You can't harm any of these with an acetone soak. Acetone will not react with metal, which is why it will remove anything petroleum based without affecting natural toning. The only thing you need worry about harming with acetone is living things. Try not to breathe the fumes. image

That five centavos has what appears to be corrosion around the rims.
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

On the 1/2 C 1904:
    On the eagle side The spot of corrosion by the "N" has not been touched. In contrast to the Figures side
    where the two spots in the center have been fooled with. Also there is reminents of a spot removal by the "T" in states.
    I have been giged on these telltale signs before on slab submittals. The eagle side also has a fingerprint indicating some handling
    causing the darkening of that area due to the finger oils.

The 10C does have indications it might be a proof, great strike, denticles also, somewhat flat rims , a very small amount of what looks like a wire rim.,but the fields do not look prooflike. I say iffy if the grading services will call it a proof. I submitted one like this once same date and they certified it as a business strike.

The 5c has PVC on it around the foot , This usually indicates the whole coin is covered with it, even though it does not show.
    It has die erosion effects around the inside of the rim. Acetone should clean this on up nicely.

Krueger

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    First one I'm unsure on.
    Second one just looks like dark toning to me.
    Third one is definitely PVC around the "PINA" portions of the devices. The yellow stuff looks like tape residue which should come off with acetone.

One quick question about PVC contamination (no need for a new thread). I have a silver dollar in an ICCS holder, which is a PVC-containing soft flip on the outside, but the coin itself is sealed inside an inner piece of brittle non-PVC plastic. This inner portion has developed two small cracks/holes, but the coin isn't in direct contact with the PVC soft flip. It's about half an inch away from the holes.

Is this still a safe holder? Or is in possible that the coin could later develop PVC contamination by being in somewhat close, but indirect, contact with a PVC holder as it breaks down over time?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections