Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1733 Germany/Anhalt 2/3 Taler... genuine?

I've been debating this one for a long time. The design looks well done and the edges look normal. That said, I'm concerned because:
-When flipped, the coin doesn't ping like silver usually does. It's more of a "tinny" sound.
-The surfaces seem a bit rough/textured, but not corroded
-The coin feels light (13.0g)

I don't have any books that give me more information than Krause, and Krause isn't helpful in defining composition, weight, etc. If you have any thoughts on the piece, please let me know.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I see a lot of doubling on the letters, all the way around on some of them. Is that common for 18th century coins? I'd have thought they would only be struck once.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I am sitting on the fence. The patina looks nice and the detail on the doubling is quite sharp. However, something on the surfaces bothers me. I am no expert on casts, but the surfaces have a grainy quality that do not seem natural. The weakness on the shield on the back suggests the same. I will have to punt and let the next forum member give us the right answer.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    btw, how does the edge look?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>btw, how does the edge look? >>

Pretty normal... diagonal reeding
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest concern is the weight

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    It looks ok to me, and the doubling is pretty common as the drunk German mint guys would hammer it more than once.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sitting on the fence. The patina looks nice and the detail on the doubling is quite sharp. However, something on the surfaces bothers me. I am no expert on casts, but the surfaces have a grainy quality that do not seem natural. The weakness on the shield on the back suggests the same. I will have to punt and let the next forum member give us the right answer. >>

I have to agree. The surface looks funny to me. If it is silver, there would be toning IMHO. I have never seen this coin before and do not know the history, so basically I am no help. I would suggest weighing it and see how it fairs to the original weight as previously suggested. Good luck and I hope that it is real! -Dan
    The looks like a cast piece to me.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The looks like a cast piece to me. >>

Ditto. What is seen as doubling could be the metal shrinking in the cast as it cools, leaving an outline, and the general lack of sharpness.
    OOPs! I meant to say that 'This looks like a cast piece to me'. -Dan