Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

? about the 4 "missing" cards in the 1955 Topps bb set

I was wondering if anyone could confirm, or point me to an article concerning the 4 cards shown below. These were given out at the 2005 Nationl in VIP packages. They were printed by Topps and the story is that these were the 4 players that would have been included in 1955, but for whatever reason, were not. The cards are identical to the 1955 Topps format and as you can see, the backside includes the appropriate card # to fill the 4 holes from the original set. My understanding is that these indeed would have been issued but there were contractual issues involved back then.

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    From my online source:

Because of the competition with Bowman the 1955 Topps baseball card set is missing 4 cards. The original players slated for those cards signed exclusive contracts with Bowman. The set consists of 206 baseball cards numbered 1-210. Cards not issued are: 175, 186, 203 and 209.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Something not correct because there is no 1955 Bowman Musial or Herb Score.

The Herb Score card references the Cy Young Award which did not come into existance til 1956!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Something not correct because there is no 1955 Bowman Musial or Herb Score. >>

Good catch; the only thing I know is that Topps claimed those were the 4 missing guys when they did that National set.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good marketing tactic by Topps to generate interest, but probably nothing more than after-the fact urban folklore.

Dave
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    This is from an article from this site.

The 1955 Bowman baseball card set was larger at 320 cards while the 1955 Topps baseball card set contains 206 cards but is numbered to 210. It is believed the four cards missing were pulled from the set at the last moment as a result of contractual issues with the involved players.

During the 2005 National Sports Card Convention in Chicago, Topps issued a special fiftieth anniversary four card set of the missing players which they claimed would have been #175 Stan Musial, #186 Whitey Ford, #203 Bob Feller, and #209 Herb Score. If you were fortunate to attend the National Convention and acquire these attractive four missing cards, your set fifty years later is now complete! To make up for the missing four cards, Topps double printed cards #170 Jim Pearce, #172 Frank Baumholtz, #184 Harry Perkowski, and #188 Charlie Silvera.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Something not correct because there is no 1955 Bowman Musial or Herb Score.

The Herb Score card references the Cy Young Award which did not come into existance til 1956!! >>

THread on Musial at Net54
    It seems that Musial either had an exclusive agreement with Rawlings, or perhaps didnt sign any agreements as the $$ were too low for his tastes, according to one post. He does have Rawlings cards during this period. It seems reasonable that for some reason Topps could not sign Musial, I'm sure that they wanted him.

And I don't think that these are supposed to be the actual cards that were planned to be released. The names are supposedly the players to be released, but the cards and their content are clearly made up after the fact, so I dont see the Cy Young mention as a problem.

Herb Score is the strange one. Was he really one of the four they couldnt get under contract? Why would that not have happened? He was an unproven rookie who came up in 1955. He did have a great 245 K effort that year and was big news, but Topps should have already set the players for their set by then. Sounds fishy to me too, a little revisionist history by Topps, perhaps?

Add: I just looked up Score's 1954 in the minors, and it was attention getting! 22-5, 251 IP, 330 K's! and 140 walks! Maybe he was noteworthy enough to get a look from Topps, but still... why wouldnt he have taken the contract?
    1955 Topps is done!
    working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7
  • Options
    Hey Al, I just realized it was your post. Havent emailed in a while. My graded 1955 set is only 5 cards away from completion! I actually have 20 or so more raws to grade, just waiting for a Registry special that isnt "1956 or later"! Ba$tards! The only card I dont own is the Snider, I'm kinda waiting for the right moment to cap off the set with one.

And I bought these 4 cards about 3 months ago, after I had been browsing Ebay for months. They need to get graded too, I think they're a nice addition to a 55 set. I have an extra Musial if you're looking for one.

Chad
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Chad,

GL with completing your set and getting that PSA special to help you out.

Oddly, I too need only 5 cards to complete my 2nd 55 Topps set...a straight PSA 7 venture. I'm in no rush, the 5 I need always come up, just a function of paying for them...Mays, Robinson, Snider, Koufax and Killebrew.

Take care,
    Al
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Musial was under contract with the Rawlings company.

They had to give permission, they did for some regional issues,

As for Score I have no idea.

Good for you.
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Anybody know where to find these cards for sell, I looked on eBay and didn't find any.

I wouldn't mind picking them up to go into my 1955 set.

Thank you for your time,
    -Larry
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Try Kit Young cards...they have a web site
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit tricky to locate these cards. The flip just says "2005 Topps"...even if you add the name, it is hard to find them. If you search by "2005 National", you'll get nothing but the National's team cards. Patience and a constant search under "2005 Topps Musial" may be the best way to go.

I still have a sealed pack of the 4 cards, but not yet ready to part with it. Got it on eBay a few years back. I have one of my 55 Topps sets in a display case I built some time ago, the 4 cards do indeed flesh out the presentation very nicely. Whether or not these were really the players Topps had in mind back then is irrelevant to me. The fact is they played during that time and contract issues or not, they look pretty good to me and I'm glad to have them.

GL with your search.
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Bishop, thanks for the pointer, looks like Kit Young is sold out. I'll give them a call and see if maybe they have some not listed.

MCMLVTopps, I'll try that. I have been watching the 2011 Topps cards that keep popping up but instead of 209(score), they have 211 (mantle). I may invest in those since they seem to be more readily available, right now.

Thank you both,
    -Larry

Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Contractual issues were the problem. I acquired these 4 cards and had them graded to add to my '55 T graded set. But of course these are just additions, although nice one. They are not considered part of the original set.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody know where to find these cards for sell, I looked on eBay and didn't find any.

I wouldn't mind picking them up to go into my 1955 set.

Thank you for your time,
    -Larry >>

2005 National "1955 Topps #175" Musial
    1955 Topps is done!
  • Options
    blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    I picked up the same 4 card set to add to my '55 Topps set, but they are just additions. They do not formally complete the set. It was an after thought by Topps to produce them a few years ago. Your understanding of what transpired way back when is entirely correct. There is really nothing that can be added.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Whitey Ford and Stan Musial are still alive. Feller and Score were alive until recently. Anyone ever ask them?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.