Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best way to sell a complete graded 1972 Topps Football Set

Hi everyone,

I am looking to sell my 1972 Topps Football Graded complete set. My question is - What is the best way to sell this set? Ebay or some auction house? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

I would NEVER put a set of mine into an auction house. The "buyer's premium" is 20% or close to it. Once you hand over your set, you have lost total control and may wait a long, long time for payment. If you must sell, the only game in town is eBay...do your homework on POPs and research the value of the cards within your set. VCP should give you at least some guidance as to recent sales or trends of your cards. Using SMR is useless, it simply does not reflect market conditions and is nothing more than a WAG.

Price fairly and protect your low side. I'm not a football card collector, so have no clue on the market. You might get lucky and post the set for sale on the appropriate forum here.

If you put the set on eBay, you might not sell it if you put it up as a complete set. Simply put, the economy has crimped many a collector and money is tight. The only way to go IMO is individual cards on eBay.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jeff,

I Ebayed my 1972 set back in 2006. I was a full set of 8's with one seven. I had maybe 25 nines of some commons and three or four 9's in the high series including Blanda and Len Dawson. Anyhow, back then it sold for $5800. 8's don't command the dollar they used to but Ebay is the way to go after you do some single sales and trades.

Some of the 9's command a pretty penny. You may be able to sell someone a 9 and get their 8 in return to keep you set at 100%. That is what I did. I sold my Riggins and Ted Hendricks 9's for significantly more if they were in the set. Unless your set is 8.50 rating or above I say part out some of the highest priced 9's and replace them with 8's.

I have some buyers for some of the 9's for sure if you want.
  • Options
    My 2 cents...tend to agree with Topps advice, particularly about the economy. I agree with Favre on the pricing issues except I would tend to keep those valuable 9's in the set and use them as bargaining to move the whole set. Let the buyer decide if they want to sell the 9's and replace with 8's. Tigerdean was trying to sell a '72 baseball set on the boards at what seemed like a very fair price. It just didn't move and I have to believe it's the overall economy. Tough to sell larger items, even with a good price. Hope this helps a bit. - Kevin
  • Options
    Turn on your PM. I might be interested in buying it.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Hi. Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

bbuckner22 - I turned the pm function on. Please ask me any questions about the set.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, PM sent, pls check.

If unable, find me at ajrs44@yahoo.com. Would like details on your set.

Al
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I think your best bet is to list the set as a whole on eBay, fully expecting that it is not going to sell in that fashion. At the very least you should get some inquiries to sell cards individually. After you run the set once to twice max, I'd list the cards as singles, or you can put some lots together for the less expensive ones. I know it's a pain, but graded sets tend to get pounded when they're consigned to auction houses. Whatever you decide, good luck!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

What is the set GPA?A little more info could go a long way here,I would like
    to hear more about set as well.

Phil
    U FOLD<I WIN
  • Options

<< <i>my 2 cents...

I would NEVER put a set of mine into an auction house. The "buyer's premium" is 20% or close to it. Once you hand over your set, you have lost total control and may wait a long, long time for payment. If you must sell, the only game in town is eBay...do your homework on POPs and research the value of the cards within your set. VCP should give you at least some guidance as to recent sales or trends of your cards. Using SMR is useless, it simply does not reflect market conditions and is nothing more than a WAG.
    >>

Getting paid on ebay is no picnic either. They make you wait a minimum of eight days for deadbeats and Paypal will hold your funds for weeks if they want to, and god help you if some "buyer" decides he wants your item(s) for free because it is incredibly easy to rip someone off on a SNAD claim or a chargeback through Paypal. Between the two (ebay/paypal), they charge what, 12%? For what? To allow you to list things on their site. They do none of the work and they do nothing to drive bidders to your items.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What bubblebathgirl said!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    we actually have a few football set breaks going on right now...

you can take a peak, see , how they go, and then decide....

we have a 70 starting 2nite...a 69 just ended...also a 73 set break starting 2nite...

hope this helps
    rick
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!