Home Precious Metals
Options

gold at its strongest buy signal since 2009

derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    At first glance the chart looks like some kind of stochastic or overbought/oversold indicator. If it is, the cliche is that stochastics work 80% of the time, which sounds great, except the 20% of the time that they don't work, they can have catastrophic failures. The technical indicator keeps giving stronger and stronger buy signals while the trader that took that first buy signal loses his shirt.
  • Options

<< <i>The technical indicator keeps giving stronger and stronger buy signals while the trader that took that first buy signal loses his shirt. >>

Not if he followed up with the subsequent sell signal. Chart indicates buy and hold is a thing of the past.

• Options
    I think some people think that Gold will end up someday like Rhodium, up to 10k, and back down never to recover. I know
    that scares quite a few people. BTW, where is Weiss ? And BTW, it doesn't scare me at all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The technical indicator keeps giving stronger and stronger buy signals while the trader that took that first buy signal loses his shirt. >>

Not if he followed up with the subsequent sell signal. Chart indicates buy and hold is a thing of the past. >>

Your comment indicates that you don't understand stochastics or other overbought/oversold indicators. A trader shouldn't be following indicators they don't understand, especially the times they will fail. Like I said a 80% win rate sounds great, until a person realizes that 20% of the time the indicator fails in spectacular fashion.

• Options
    stochastics is the preferred method of determining when something has moved into an overbought/oversold condition. I'll settle for an 80% win rate.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>stochastics is the preferred method of determining when something has moved into an overbought/oversold condition. I'll settle for an 80% win rate. >>

An 80% win rate is really only a 60% win rate when the losses are figured in. And thats assuming you can minimize the losses to equal gains which is a difficult feat.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I would take 80% win rate with very tight stops!

I do use more than just stochastic indicators. The more information the better.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Std deviaton chart

Since that chart was in a 20 day standard deviation format I decided to look at the 4 week SD chart over the past 3 yrs.
    Yup, as much as $1920 was off the charts, this dip is even further off the charts, rivaling anything seen in 2008. But also
    note that weekly CCI, BB width, and ROC are not yet near typically seen very oversold levels. The only ways to bring that
    huge weekly BB reading down is either lots more time or more downside/sideways movement or a combination of both.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    note that weekly CCI, BB width, and ROC are not yet near typically seen very oversold levels

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

J6P is grossly underestimating the power of this selloff. It was/is violent, brutal, astonishing.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I shouldn't have slipped BB's into that list. Those are at massive extremes and need to contract. But ROC is still >0 and CCI well above -100. Both those osc usually hit
    those targets in deep corrections. BB's can contract with a medium bounce here as well as marking some time.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Gold is at its strongest buy signal since 2009, and those who bought in 2010 are up at least 30% this year.
    I'll take 30% for one year any day of the week.
  • Options

<< <i>note that weekly CCI, BB width, and ROC are not yet near typically seen very oversold levels

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

J6P is grossly underestimating the power of this selloff. It was/is violent, brutal, astonishing. >>

Could the roc and cci also be signaling a positive divergence (price vs indicator) ? Especially considering the daily went to extremes per these indicators.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac