Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Considering using FedEx for returning my next sub

Can anyone give me a frame of reference on how much I can expect to save? Any gotchas?

FWIW, the sub will be somewhere between 50-100 cards.
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    Group sub?
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've heard....you're really taking your chances if it's anything of value.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Group sub? >>

Pent up stuff of my own, as I haven't subbed since March, but feel free to PM. When I sub is going to depend on what Carol posts Monday. I'd really love to get under $5 again.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    The transit speed for FedEx is usually very good, but they insurance does NOT cover collectibles. I did
    a big, 2-part shipment with them a few years back. The first part was sent and I added insurance coverage
    without a problem (everything arrived ok too). When I tried to send the second part of the shipment a few
    days later when I asked for insurance the FedEx clerk said they would not be able to insure it due to their rules.

I told them that they had just done it for me a week ago, but she insisted it was not allowed. She even made
    a few calls and confirmed it.

Of source they would not refund the extra fees I paid on the insurance for the first shipment (even though it was
    not valid).

Stick with USPS Registered mail. You can get coverage up to $25k I think. The peace of mind is worth it.

Dave
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    The transit speed for FedEx is usually very good, but they insurance does NOT cover collectibles. I did
    a big, 2-part shipment with them a few years back. The first part was sent and I added insurance coverage
    without a problem (everything arrived ok too). When I tried to send the second part of the shipment a few
    days later when I asked for insurance the FedEx clerk said they would not be able to insure it due to their rules.

I told them that they had just done it for me a week ago, but she insisted it was not allowed. She even made
    a few calls and confirmed it.

Of source they would not refund the extra fees I paid on the insurance for the first shipment (even though it was
    not valid).

Stick with USPS Registered mail. You can get coverage up to $25k I think. The peace of mind is worth it.

Dave
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Edited to add link for previous post-

I've been using Fed Ex for the last year on my subs and have not had a problem at all. It's been about half the price for me as opposed to the USPS option offered by PSA.

Also, I think this topic was covered just a few weeks ago and someone posted the exact link to the Fed Ex policy that showed that they did indeed cover up to $1000 for "collectibles", but would not go beyond that.

Previous Fed Ex Discussion
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son worked for FedEx for several years. He highly recommends USPS Registered Mail.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    If you are separately insured, I recommend it.

If not, don't.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why you would want to use FedEx. My last sub took less than 48 hours from poppage to porch in NE Ohio.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure why you would want to use FedEx. My last sub took less than 48 hours from poppage to porch in NE Ohio. >>

PSA shipping charge for 125 cards ,$1000-$5000 value = $50.95

My last 125 card sub returned coast to coast by fedex , $18.87
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure why you would want to use FedEx. My last sub took less than 48 hours from poppage to porch in NE Ohio. >>

My last 125 card sub returned coast to coast by fedex , $18.87 >>

OIC... my subs are never that big and valuable. Now I see what the fuss is about. Someone did mention that FedEx doesn't insure, but that doesn't make up for that cost difference. Interesting.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

My last 125 card sub returned coast to coast by fedex , $18.87 >>

OIC... my subs are never that big and valuable. Now I see what the fuss is about. Someone did mention that FedEx doesn't insure, but that doesn't make up for that cost difference. Interesting. >>

Yeah, my thinking was totally on cost, but I recalled there being some negatives like Insurance. The cheapest you can get a 50 card special return shipped via USPS is $37.20

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I've been using fedex for 2+ years with no issues - personally I like it better.