Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DNW auction?

Did anyone do anything with all the 6d's in the DNW auction today? I did not wind up bidding on them since there were quite a few other pieces I wanted for my collection. Unfortunatly I got blown out on all but two, a 1797 Pattern 1d and the 1723 Shilling with French Arms at date. I bid double the high estimate on the 1787 pattern shilling (2400 pounds) but it wound up going for triple estimate, same thing on a couple of others I thought I had good bids on. Prices seemed strong overall.

Oh well, still have bids in the Baldwins auction this week so there is still hope.

Comments

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone do anything with all the 6d's in the DNW auction today? I did not wind up bidding on them since there were quite a few other pieces I wanted for my collection. Unfortunatly I got blown out on all but two, a 1797 Pattern 1d and the 1723 Shilling with French Arms at date. I bid double the high estimate on the 1787 pattern shilling (2400 pounds) but it wound up going for triple estimate, same thing on a couple of others I thought I had good bids on. Prices seemed strong overall.

Oh well, still have bids in the Baldwins auction this week so there is still hope. >>

I went down today, primarily for the Saxon pennies. Carnage at times would be a reasonable description with the nice Edward the Elder portrait penny with the Saxon church reverse costing the purchaser £31K against an estimate of £6-8K. I came second on a couple, but did at least win the one I went down for (lot 1035 - William I type VI from Dorchester), and at £1K less than I thought I would have to pay. image The pair of obverse brockages dated 1816 & 1817 were a surprise too. Opened and closed at £900 (£1116).image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My newps for the day:
    1723 SSC Shilling with French Arms at date, listed as Very Rare in ESC:

1799 Pattern Penny, P-1097, the very well endowed Britannia, late Soho period in copper:

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that the highly sought after rare wardrobe malfunction variety?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that the highly sought after rare wardrobe malfunction variety? >>

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    And what a wardrobe malfunction it was.