Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Soliciting advice on creating a spreadsheet for coin collection

Hello Fellow coin crusaders,

I just wanted some feedback as to creating a comprehensive spreadsheet for my modest coin collection. I am using Excel and creating several categories. I am wondering if I am leaving any vital category out and if the order is also efficient.

YEAR MINT NUMISMATIC VALUE COUNTRY DESCRIPTION GRADE GOLD WEIGHT (oz) SILVER WEIGHT (oz)
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    Some of those fields that you listed I combine all into a single description field.

I use some additional fields:
    * price paid
    * date purchased (I keep my list in chronological order of purchase for easy data entry. The easier it is to update, the more likely it gets updated.)
    * price when sold
    * gift field for coins purchased intended as immediate gifts
    * estimated wholesale value at time of purchase (I prefer to track this vs. catalog value)

/edit to add: I forgot some:
    * where purchased, might be a dealer or an ebay seller or another source. This gets to be helpful in terms of good sources for coins and not so good.
    * person sold to or gifted to
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    My spread sheet includes these fields:

Country (I prefer listing all in one tab instead of one tab for each country - I use the filters function in each column to see specific groups))
    Decimal (I convert denominations to decimal to prevent Excel's penchant to sort 1, 10, 100, 2, 20, 3 etc.)
    Denomination
    Series
    Subseries
    Coin #
    Description
    Metal Content
    ASW / AGW / APW (silver, gold, platinum)
    Diameter (in MM)
    Weight (in grams)
    Date
    Mint Mark
    Grade
    TPG
    S/N
    PCGS Coin #
    Value
    Photo (hot link to photo storage location)
    Comment
    $ Paid
    Buy Date
    Sold Date
    $ Received
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My spreadsheets were more like 1960NYG's, above. Not exactly- but similar. That's the nice thing about making an Excel spreadsheet- the infinite ways you can customize it to suit your own needs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I should add that I had a problem with too many columns sometimes- they ran off beyond the printable area of the page! Yes, I could have switched to "landscape" orientation, and sometimes I did, for the more detailed ones, but those aren't as readable in a binder.

One spreadsheet I made had the pricing in the last columns on the right, so that the printable version showed all the basic information, but not the last few columns with the private information. The digital version (which only I would see) had the price I'd paid and so on. Had I wanted to export the spreadsheet or share it at all, I could have used the "public" version with fewer columns. That's something to think about if you're going to use the spreadsheet for a sale list or other public function later on. Ask yourself whether it's going to be all private, all public, or a mixture thereof. If you're using it for both private and public consumption, it'll perhaps be easier for you if you have all the private columns to the right and the public ones to the left, instead of scattered. Then you won't have as much editing to do to create different versions of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have different tabs for silver bullion coins, gold coins, platinum coins, ancient coins and so forth.

Then I have a cover sheet stating which tab is what items.

The items for each coin has been pretty well stated.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves