Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Counterfeit or Real? What is your opinion?

Two interesting features. Numerous die cracks on King George's cranium. And a small counterstamp left of the date. Anyone know it's origin.

Comments

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Another shot to hopefully show the cracks better. And luster! Clean coin I bet it would grade 66 if not for the counterstamp

• Options
    I am begging to think it might be a makers mark. Maker as in reproduction out of the middle east. It does test as a gold though
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is strange

There are just so many mixed signals with this

-No upscale jeweler would have used their mongram on a counterfeit

-The rims and grainy appearance are suspect

-The die breaks seem to look reasonable leading one to believe it is authentic

I am curious if this was some sort of jeweler's mark done for some type of company sponsored event

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat of an enigma, devices look good but the edge funky esp the edge at the rim Btwn 430 & 7
    This was a date that was "frozen" for up to 30 yrs and more
    Proly not counterfeit IMO
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    It's weight is correct at 8 grams. It tested 22K I tried searching ebay and other sites for the exact same die cracks but i did not find any.
    From what I read via google some middle eastern countries especially Jordan are allowed to replicate coins as long as they put their mark on it.
    But why make a replica of basically a bullion piece?
    Thanks for the help so far.
  • Options
    Any other opinions? Thanks
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's weight is correct at 8 grams. It tested 22K I tried searching ebay and other sites for the exact same die cracks but i did not find any.
    From what I read via google some middle eastern countries especially Jordan are allowed to replicate coins as long as they put their mark on it.
    But why make a replica of basically a bullion piece?
    Thanks for the help so far. >>

Over history, middle eastern countries have tended to be picky about the types and purity of coins used for trading. The 1780 restrike Maria Theresa Thalers which were minted for over a century with the same specifications, design, and even date is the most prominent one.

There is also a history of reproduction coins, often (but not always) made with the correct purity and weight of precious metal. I have even heard of early 20th century $5 and $10 Canadian gold pieces being "counterfeited" in this way. Though the latest one I saw I was told it was only made in ~40% gold rather than the proper 90%. I'd suspect that your coin is a reproduction like this, but with the correct amount of gold.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fake to me but I don't know much about it.