Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Matt Kemp the NL MVP?

The Dodgers have been out of it pretty much the whole season. But Matt Kemp is leading the NL in Runs, Home Runs, RBI's, WAR, OBP, Total Bases, Runs Created, Adjusted OPS, and Power Speed #. He is third in Batting Average and second in Stolen Bases. To me he is the MVP. But there are a lot of folks that don't believe a player should win the award on a team that is so mediocre. They would prefer a Brewer or Phillie or Dback or another contender win it. What do you think?
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I am NOT a Dodger fan ... and NOT a Kemp fan. HOWEVER, if he wins the Triple Crown there is NO WAY he should NOT be MVP. Although I was 9 when YAZ won it, many people on this board have NEVER seen a Triple Crown Winner in their lives! It is SO RARE! (BTW ... he is 4th in OBP.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Ryan Braun is my pick even if Kemp gets the triple crown.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    pretty sure Ted Williams posted the Triple Crown in '42 and '47 and was runner-up for the MVP in both years.

yes Matt Kemp has been the best player in the NL this season, but could conceivably finish 2nd-4th behind Braun/Fielder/J.Upton.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>pretty sure Ted Williams posted the Triple Crown in '42 and '47 and was runner-up for the MVP in both years. >>

You are correct. Lou Gehrig ('34) and Chuck Klein ('33) also won the Triple Crown without wining the MVP. However, winning the Triple Crown happened a lot more back then. (Not sure why, but I guess you have to take that into consideration.) In the 42 years from 1925-1967 the Triple Crown was won TEN times. In the 43 years since NOBODY has won it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    In my fantasy league I traded Hanley for Kemp, I took some flack at that time but I quickly won the trade, he's had a great season.