Home Sports Talk
Options

What's the lure of team Fantasy Sports?

I am as big of a numbers person as anyone. Heck, I even quantify things because I have Asperger's and it aids in my lack of common sense.

With that said, the last time I checked football, baseball, basketball, and hockey are team sports. Making one team of all different players is a huge contradiction of that.

If you want to have fantasy golf or tennis, that's fine. All you have to do is pick a single player.

Just curious. Keep it nice.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    bump
  • Options
    Gambling
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    In some order, the following:

1. Gambling
    2. Competition.
    3. Something to "make the season more fun"
    4. Bragging rights with your friends.
    5. A way to keep in touch with friends you might not necessarily interact with as much anymore.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Its all good...its fun for me. I love looking at stats and analyzing, which is a part of being a good coach or owner.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    It lets me watch games that I would normally never care about just because I have one team's RB, WR or QB.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I thought it would be fun, entered a football fantasy league, won the league and then got stiffed out of my winnings. Needless to say I no longer participate in fantasy sports. Also I just can't bring myself to root for opposing players in the leagues. Hard to wish Big Ben luck when you are a Browns fan.....yeah I know you can pick who you want and there are probably mutiple threads out there pro and conning everything but when the $$$$ didn't arrive after winning I said scre...this, I no longer participate. PS> I only used Ben as an example, but I'm sure there are Jets fans out there that would rather jump off bridges then root for that guy from New England......

al.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it would be fun, entered a football fantasy league, won the league and then got stiffed out of my winnings. Needless to say I no longer participate in fantasy sports. Also I just can't bring myself to root for opposing players in the leagues. Hard to wish Big Ben luck when you are a Browns fan.....yeah I know you can pick who you want and there are probably mutiple threads out there pro and conning everything but when the $$$$ didn't arrive after winning I said scre...this, I no longer participate. PS> I only used Ben as an example, but I'm sure there are Jets fans out there that would rather jump off bridges then root for that guy from New England......

al. >>

That is the tough part about fantasy teams. As a Giants fan it is hard for me to root for Desean Jackson especially when they are playing the Giants.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    edit
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask, you'll never understand..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have to ask, you'll never understand.. >>

I hope that was meant to be humorous, because if it wasn't that's a pretty ignorant statement.

• Options

<< <i>In some order, the following:

1. Gambling
    2. Competition.
    3. Something to "make the season more fun"
    4. Bragging rights with your friends.
    5. A way to keep in touch with friends you might not necessarily interact with as much anymore. >>

I agree with this.

1. We each put money into a pot at the beginning of the season and distribute accordingly at the end.
    2. We all talk crap to each other each week.
    3. I watch games I normally wouldn't care about.
    4. See number 2.
    5. We have guys from Florida, Florida St, UCF, USF, FAU, etc. in my league. I don't see them much anymore but I can always send them a text asking why the heck they started a certain player on a given week. The majority of us have been in a league together since the early part of high school. We're Juniors in college now.