Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When do you roll the dice and try for a regrade....

This is not about pimping my card. I don't need the looks. I just want real opinions.

I put up a 53 Mantle PSA 5 yesterday. Getting rocked with "why the poor grade" questions. So much so that it makes me want to do the nasty and pop it, resubmit, and then wait for the "trimmed" qualifier. Is it about having the gonads, or finding the right venue to get a favorable regrade?

So.. When do you risk a big number, pop it and beg for a regrade????

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to risk having it grade lower or get rejected on second look, just submit it for a review. For a card of that value, they should indicate why it won't bump if they don't do so.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    I think you just have to decide if it is worth the risk. My last sub of 5 cards that were cracked out from PSA holders did not fair well. I had a 55 and a 56 Williams that both came back trimmed on the crack and re-sub. I was devastated as that was not a risk that I even considered when breaking them out. Good luck.

Jeff
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Why crack them out and risk their considering the card trimmed. If you send it in as is asking for a regrading, will they do that?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I would only try that on cards that are near value-less at the grade they're in but when a 1+ grade bump significantly increases their worth (ie: '89 UD Griffey in 9, resub for a 10).
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    It's an interesting gamble. My understanding is that PSA is much more likely to give you a higher grade if you crack it open then if you leave it in there. It is rare that they pop it, regrade it, and give it a higher one....just because it just means they are admitting they were wrong in the first place

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless of course, you are looking for that .5 bump.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Send it in for review. PSA is much stricter on trimming and other issues now than in the past. I do not break any high value cards anymore. Cracking and subbing expensive commons is the way to go.....but not the Mick.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Post a scan here of the front and back and I will give you an honest evaluation, as I am sure most people here will as well.....
  • Options
    Am I the only one that noticed this is a thread from last year.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    There's no way I would crack it to send it in. And before you waste money on a review be sure to hold it up to a bright light and look for a small surface wrinkle. If it looks that nice and only graded a 5 then odds are it's got one. If it does don't waste your time and money sending it in for a review.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Crack and re-submit until you get the grade you want. However, if you never get your original grade back, be prepared to eat the loss. I have a 1926-29 Exhibits Gehrig Portrait that I spent $500 in SGC 40/3. It has pretty sharp corners, so I figured I'd crack it out and send it to PSA to add my Gehrig Set Registry. The card comes back PSA 2. I take another look at it, and see the staining on front (geez, duh!). I crack it out, and send it back to SGC, and now it comes back 20/1.5. Now, I've sent it back to PSA, hoping to just get by 2 grade back again. image