Home Sports Talk

Why Joe Namath?

TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
Just wondering if the football collectors can chime in as to why his collectibles are so expensive?
He had 62 wins and 63 losses,threw 173 TD's and 220 Interceptions. Pretty horrible numbers for a guy whose memorabilia brings in big dollars.
Not trying to hate on the guy, just trying to understand the big sales of his stuff.
Thanks

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for why his stuff is expensive, but I think these may be part of the reason:

-One of the most popular players to have ever played in New York.
    -First QB to throw for over 4000 yards in a season
    -Superbowl MVP.
    -Style, class and celebrity on and off the field.
    -His dropback and release was a thing a beauty.
    -The guarantee and then making it happen.

and he was all over the media!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was one of the very best downfield passers of his time and helped to legitimize the AFL which led tyo the merger of the two leagues. And Super Bowl III, of course. Rules were heavily stacked against receivers back then. Nothing like you see now where you can't tough a guy after 5 yards, and QBs are protected like flag football players. You just can't look at his stats and apply a modern standard to them. If you watched the game back then, you'd understand. Is he overrated? Yes, I'd say he is to some degree because of his role as a NY icon and sports legend, but he is far better than most people these days think.

Edit to add: There's also the realization that if it weren't for severe knee problems suffered early in his career, he'd have been, quite possibly one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    1. NYC
    2. Super Bowl III

If for instance Namath and Len Dawson traded teams things would be diffrent.
    BUT, the Super Bowl III win was one of the biggest moments to push pro football forward.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a QB that did what the so-called experts thought was not possible. Sometimes its the story and the legacy. Numbers do not always capture the moment or a career -nor provide the sole footprint to judge a player's contributions.

Not a Namath fan- just trying to put it all in perspective.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a JOE!

Seriously though, he is just a likeable person, great smile, great sense of humor. Saw him on Letterman a while back and he was terrific.

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Plus, if you get him drunk enough, he'll want to kiss you.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. NYC
    2. Super Bowl III >>

Plus:

3. Fur Coat
    4. Pantyhose
    When QB's were real
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    You mean like how Mickey Mantle has traditionally been the ultimate cards to own (especially his 1952 Topps) yet Willie Mays is clearly the far superior player in terms of both offense and defense. Though Mickey had tons more rings and a friendlier personality.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Howard Cosell promoted Joe every chance he got. He would talk about Super Bowl III and tell how Baltimore was in town celebrating a win, I believe they were 14 point favorites, and The Jets and Joe Namath were in town getting ready for a football game.

As mentioned this was the AFL's first Super Bowl victory. Also, Namath predicted before the game that the Jets were going to win and sports announcers were scoffing at him 24 hours a day prior to the game with the exception of Howard Cosell.

Cosell was on Johnny Carson's show one night and someone made a negative remark about Namath and Cosell jumped right in their face. He said Namath played football every week on knees that most people couldn't walk down the street on and he didn't want to hear anything bad about Namath.

I remember after Super Bowl III was over Namath had made a believer out of me.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Remember when he came to Bobby Brady's house? Wasn't that the same episode where they broke Marsha's nose with the football?

NAMATH was a household name! Not only did he bring respect to the AFL and merger of the two leagues, he was the first true media superstar that led the NFL into televison age of football.

He was simply in the right place at the right time with the right combination of flare and charisma that can never be repeated in history.

* His legendary rifle arm helped advance the passing game
    * The first to throw for 4000 yards (and I might add, did it in the dead ball era)
    * signed the biggest contract ever at the time.
    * rock star status (from the fur coats on the sidelines to the chicks)
    * He was the first to land hugh endorsments and TV Commercial deals (The famous Panty hose ad)
    * He laid claim to not ONE, but TWO! of the most famous an reconizable nicknames in the world! "Joe Willie" "Broadway Joe"
    * He played and delivered a Chamionship to the biggest market . NEW YORK

Namath was not just a football star, but a pop culture star at a time in our history that will never be repeated. They can throw for billions of yards and TD's, BUT no modern day QB or player will ever be able to effect so many changes to not only the league, but culture as well. That time has passed never to be repeated.

The only Modern QB that I can think of that changed the NFL is Payton Manning with the "Can't touch my QB rule" Staubach was right, what a bunch of f***ing wussies!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Both Grote and Bigreddog are dead on. Maybe the only player in nfl history you can just throw the stat books out.

If you ever saw him play you would know what we mean. He legitimized the AFL and carried FB much like Richard Petty did for nascar racing.

If you thought Elway or Favre had great arms....you would have liked to see Namath.

Now he is doing TV ads for a Tennessee retirement community
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Happy birthday Joe!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If 1987fan were here he would tell us how much better Tony Romo is over Broadway Joe! LOL!!!!!!
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1. NYC
    2. Super Bowl III >>

Plus:

3. Fur Coat
    4. Pantyhose >>

....as a non football fan in the late 60's, Namath was the first of only maybe half a dozen names that I could rattle off.

Others were Staubach, Unitas, Butkus and Alex Karras.

Baseball, I could name the entire Tiger's roster, coaches, front office etc........and most of the starters in the American League. Maybe 2/3 of the national league.

<< <i>If 1987fan were here he would tell us how much better Tony Romo is over Broadway Joe! LOL!!!!!! >>

It was 1985fan, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If 1987fan were here he would tell us how much better Tony Romo is over Broadway Joe! LOL!!!!!! >>

It was 1985fan, LOL.. >>

Holy crap I needed that laugh. What I wouldn't give to stick Dimeman, Slabbed and Ax in a room and be a fly on the wall.
    ...and think about it, how many NFL QB's have a known middle name!

<< <i>...and think about it, how many NFL QB's have a known middle name! >>

Tony Ramiro Romo..

<< <i>

Tony Ramiro Romo.. >>

I said quarterbacks!

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yelberton Abraham Tittle

Steve
  • Bucky F*n Dent