Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Good results w/ NESC purchases

I seem to collect some unpopular sets, such as the 1978-79 Basketball set. Instead of waiting for graded cards to show up on eBay, I bought some from New England Sports Cards (each one was described as MINT) for $2 each and submitted them on the latest special:

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 4 WILBUR HOLLAND
MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 14 BOBBY JONES
MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 15 CHRIS FORD
MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 35 DON BUSE
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1978 TOPPS 41 BOBBY WILKERSON
GEM MINT 10 1978 TOPPS 42 WILBERT JONES This is a POP 1!
MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 62 ANTHONY ROBERTS
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 66 LONNIE SHELTON
GEM MINT 10 1978 TOPPS 112 RANDY SMITH
MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 131 CLIFFORD RAY

Here are the others purchased from them.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 372 OSCAR GAMBLE (Described as NM)
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1974 O-PEE-CHEE 152 OSCAR GAMBLE (Described as NM)
MINT 9 OC 1979 O-PEE-CHEE 132 OSCAR GAMBLE (Described as NMMT)
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 TOPPS 614 DAVE ROZEMA (Described as MINT)
GEM MINT 10 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 512 OSCAR GAMBLE (Described as MINT)
MINT 9 1985 TOPPS TIFFANY 724 OSCAR GAMBLE (Described as NM-MT)

12 out of 16 got the grade described or better (depending on how you view an O/C designation). Not bad at all.

Comments

• Wow nice on that pop 1, if you're selling that would probably bring some nice registry change!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice job. Glad to see something turn out well from NESC.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

• << <i>GEM MINT 10 1978 TOPPS 42 WILBERT JONES This is a POP 1! >>

Heads are gonna roll at 4SC for this one. image

edited to add: congrats!
  • Bought a 88 fleer #92 drexler and got a gem mint 10 sold it for 1k
  • Great Subs!!!

who knew? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • awesome results. I have recently purchased some 1968 and 1972 Topps baseball from New England Sportscards and they were quite accurate with their raw grades.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Morning,

Good for you guys or as I suspect the "Exception that makes the Rule". My PERSONAL experience from buying 3 Non Sport Lots 2-3 years ago is I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER, Did I Say NEVER buy from them again !! But then again I don't buy form their 4"AUTOMATICSUBGEMMINT10"SC company either, after recieving a couple of tens that wouldn't match up to some NM-MT 8's of the same Card issue I already have!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah there's definitely money to be made off of NESC's auctions. Personally I enjoy buying vintage lots off of them and reselling them as singles.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Much to my surprise I bought a 1975 OPC Clark Gillies rookie from them for $12 that was advertised as NM-MT that actually graded a PSA 8. That made it a $250 card image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice poppage!!!image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Congrats! I have had very bad experiences with them.
  • ok I am going to go out on a limb and try them for my first time.

I just purchased 5 cards off them.

Card 1

Card 2

Card 3

Card 4

Card 5

All say the card is mint.

When I get these I will 10x loope them and submit them to PSA and see what happens. I will keep everyone updated on what happens...
  • Best of luck to you. I also apologize in advance if they all get 7s!

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Putting my own opinions of NESC aside, it's ridiculous to suggest that the 'jury is out' on anything you buy from them until it comes back from PSA. Most of us here can't predict with 50% certainty what a particular card will grade, so asking NESC to correctly predict what one of their raw cards will grade if sent to PSA is unfair. It's one thing to say " I bought a card from them, looked it over, and there was no way it could be considered NM'. It's quite another to say 'I bought a card advertised as NM from them, sent it to PSA, and PSA only graded it a 5, so that means they must be crooks'.

I don't see this happening in this thread specifically, but I've seen this kind of logic prevail in other threads here about raw sellers.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Putting my own opinions of NESC aside, it's ridiculous to suggest that the 'jury is out' on anything you buy from them until it comes back from PSA. Most of us here can't predict with 50% certainty what a particular card will grade, so asking NESC to correctly predict what one of their raw cards will grade if sent to PSA is unfair. It's one thing to say " I bought a card from them, looked it over, and there was no way it could be considered NM'. It's quite another to say 'I bought a card advertised as NM from them, sent it to PSA, and PSA only graded it a 5, so that means they must be crooks'.

I don't see this happening in this thread specifically, but I've seen this kind of logic prevail in other threads here about raw sellers. >>

+1

This is why I hate selling raw on ebay (but I still do it). Damned if you do list the condition, and damned if you don't. This is why I paid for my Photobucket account, and post a ridiculously large scan of the front and back of each card I sell. Just so I can maybe, just maybe, avoid a negative feedback.

• << <i>Best of luck to you. I also apologize in advance if they all get 7s! >>

Thats funny coming from someone who purchased from them and got back some 10s!

When I get the cards and look them over. If there is no way the cards will come back 9 or better then I wont submit those cards.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Congrats! I have had very bad experiences with them. >>

I've had pretty good lukc with them, but you really have to chek the scans closely. They aren't above "ignoring" centering when assigning a grade it seems, and that always gives me the willies since they don't show backs. However, if you pay close attention to front centering, they seem to get it right at least as often as most raw sellers of note.

Caveat: I'm buying vintage from them, not modern, so YMMV on minor issues with "mint" modern.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Those 5 cards came in the mail today. The 2 Topps 07 Rivera cards are mint but badly OC. It was hard to tell from the scans that they were OC. Oh well. If they were centered I would submit them the corners and edges are awesome. The 2001 Topps Rivera is definitely mint w/ a chance at Gem mint. The 93 Score Jeter is mint as well w/ a chance at Gem mint. The 96 Studio Jeter is mint w/ chance at Gem mint. I am going to sub 3 of the 5. The 93 Score Jeter, 96 Studio Jeter and 2001 Topps Rivera will go in my next sub. I will report back on results of the 3.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2 Topps 07 Rivera cards are mint but badly OC. It was hard to tell from the scans that they were OC. >>

What do you mean by badly OC? They look no worse than 65/35 in the scans.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I will post scans in a few. They are no way centered as good as this one

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    I always have great luck with NESC!
  • I have bought a number of single cards and lots from them. Mainly I did it to use the cards for TTM purposes which was well worth it. I have never had any issues with them. I'm sure if you dig hard enough you can find some gems to submit. Recently I picked up some raw Wacky Package and Fantastic Odd Rod singles they had for my collection. Was happy with what I got and will continue to buy from them.