Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Exhibits - 1948/1974/1977 Baseball's Great Hall Of Fame

So who here knows about Exhibits?

This weekend I purchased what appear to be the 1974 reprints of the 1948 Baseball's Great Hall Of Fame Exhibits. I don't know much about these, but I know enough that I realize these are reprints (white backs). The price was right ($35 for eight sets of 24). Seven of the sets were in mint condition, and PSA grades them, so I may give some a shot if they're worth grading to begin with.

This set was originally printed in 1948, then some were reprinted in 1974, and again in 1977 (with added cards not found in the original set). For those who have knowledge about these particular cards, is there any other way to differentiate between the 1948 and 1974 or 1977 reprints?

Here is a checklist of the three sets:

Here is a scan of one of my cards (notice the blue print color):

Here are a couple that I found on the bay (notice the dark blue or black print color):

Were these actually printed in different shades, or do you think they appear different because of how they were scanned?

Is there any other way (besides looking at the back's color) to determine if they're reprints? As paper ages, some of the backs look tan, and some look white.

I know for sure mine are reprints, only because they were sold as sets of 24, missing the other 9 cards from the original set. I'm just curious if there is any other way to tell.

How will PSA tell mine are 1974, and not 1977? By looking at the Pop Report, I see they already slabbed one wrong in 1974. They show a Joe Dimaggio in the 1974 set, but they didn't make his card until 1977.

Thoughts? Would you send any of these to get graded?

Regardless, this was a safe purchase at $35, and it's a pretty cool set.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I consider the 1948 a legitimate Exhibit issue (issued individually usually in machines), I dont with the later 1974 and 1977 knockoffs, even though its said the company made them...

The 1948 cards are the same stock thickness etc as the more well known Exhibit sets of the 1939-66 Era..
    The 1974 cards are printed on thinner white backed stock and in 3 color shades (B&W, Brown, Blue).
    The 1977 issue is also printed on a different stock, glossy, is missing the double line at bottom of image and has a different base to the column design, and the font is typewriter like and far different from the 1948 issue, among other differences.

Ive bought the 1948 cards raw many times (usually the 2 Ruths) to flip........ and you need to know how to tell them apart, especially in scans on eBay
    IMO.... Id collect the 1948 issue but never the other 2 reprints. I dont touch any reprints no demand IMO

I wouldnt get them graded, I think grade anything that has a high book of less than $10-$15 stupid, let alone cards bought for 18 CENTS Each. If anything try hocking them for $1 each raw and make 5X your $$ back.
  • Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

Hold a flashlight on the card. Reprints--flashlight shines through. Original 1948s--light won't shine through.