Home Sports Talk
Options

My BCS contenders vs. pretenders

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Contenders-
1) Wisconsin (Would get my #1 vote if I had one)
2) Boise State
3) LSU
4) Alabama
5) Oklahoma / Oklahoma St (whoever wins the heads up)

Pretenders-
1) Texas
2) Virginia Tech
3) Stanford
4) Nebraska
5) Arkansas

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like you I think both LSU and Alabama have too tough a schedule. I think we are headed for an OU vs Boise national title, even though I think LSU and Alabama are the best two teams in the country.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider changing pretenders to either darkhorses or underdogs...

While pretenders is used by the media, it really is a term that has no place to describe young athletes that work hard not just to beat expectations, but challenge conventional and stereotypical thought about what a Championship means.

I think Stanford has a great QB and if they get past Oregon and the game against Cal is not too weird, they could finish unbeaten and play for the National Championship.

The other teams you mentioned as Darkhorses are likely not even darkhorses-

Wisconsin and Boise State could finish unbeaten as well.

My advice? Sit back and enjoy the season

edited spelling

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>like you I think both LSU and Alabama have too tough a schedule. I think we are headed for an OU vs Boise national title, even though I think LSU and Alabama are the best two teams in the country. >>

LSU appears to have a very good defense, but it's not great enough to cover their deficiency on the offensive side IMO. I'm typically not one that buys in to the Boise hype, but this year I do think that they're the best team in the country.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>like you I think both LSU and Alabama have too tough a schedule. I think we are headed for an OU vs Boise national title, even though I think LSU and Alabama are the best two teams in the country. >>

LSU appears to have a very good defense, but it's not great enough to cover their deficiency on the offensive side IMO. I'm typically not one that buys in to the Boise hype, but this year I do think that they're the best team in the country. >>

I am not sure they are really that bad on offense. They physically pound you for 3 quarters and take over in the 4th. That is how they win. They do not throw the ball around the field and put up basketball scores, they run the ball. They are not the type of team that puts up 40 but that does not mean they cannot.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it's a little to early to part the seas.

injuries and freaky things always happen.

excellent 11 teams there, though.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is the last time that a team like Stanford [extremely demanding academic and admission standards which would likely prevent a huge chunk of the football players on most D-1 teams from ever playing for Stanford] won the NCAA D-1 football title?
  • Options
    Northwestern was ranked #1 about 6-7 weeks into the season in 1959. I think Princeton was ranked in the top 5 and finished unbeaten in 1950.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1959 and 1950 is a long, long, time ago and the world [in general and of sports] is a whole lot different today.
  • Options
    we'll see what happens

• Options
    Stanford finish 4th in the final AP poll last year- not too bad