Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1970 Topps Wax Box - Pack 1 RIP

Let the games begin!

Denis took it for the team.

The card of my dreams!

An inauspicious start but a start nonetheless.
Nikklos

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH YEAH!!
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Tommy Davis looks real nice actually.
    Nikklos
    Looks like it.
    9-10 Id say
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    nice Davis! We all know a guy that'll give that Timmermann a home.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    GOOD LUCK NIKK! Hoping that the centering in better with the rest of the box!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Good luck with the break. If you decide that you want to sell one pack, please let me know. 1970 is the first set I completed from opening packs as a kid and I've always wanted to get a late series pack to accompany my raw set.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those cards are so bright, especially the backs. You know there are some good ones coming!

"Molon Labe"

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Wow you have some balls to open a box like this. I love it!!!
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    those backs are the whitest I've ever seen. You are gonna get some minty cards out of this box, I can feel it.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Boy I don't like the centering. I think you'll find OC throughout. I'd only open one pack and slab or sell the rest.
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boy I don't like the centering. I think you'll find OC throughout. I'd only open one pack and slab or sell the rest. >>

hey captain bring down, just sit back and enjoy the rip. The centering can only go up from here.
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the rest of the box!
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Holy Sh!tballs!!!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>those backs are the whitest I've ever seen. You are gonna get some minty cards out of this box, I can feel it. >>

Yup, those packs look soooo fresh and good, gonna be some goodness in there.

Joe
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would only open just one more pack. i agree with the poster above the centering does not look good so far. if the next pack looks like the first i say stop. i would be best to get some of your money back out of the box. i would not have the nerve to open a pack that old.
    The last 1970 High series pack I busted 9 cards were way OC but I got a 50-50 all Pete rose out of the same pack.
    Hes going to get a big hit.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    This is great Nikklos! Keep busting them, should be a few big hits in there.
    '70 was the first packs I ever opened, and still one of my all time favorite sets. Can't wait to see the rest of the rip.
    Are you video taping as well?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff! Davis looks sharp and mint, maybe just a bit OC T/B. Good luck the rest of the way. If you want to sell any packs, I'd be interested in buying one, too!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this-

and I might add you have large image balls

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how Vern Fuller is an assistant caterer in the off season, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    "Robert James Monday"

How does he get Rick out of that?
    FYI - Tommy Davis got a PSA 9! Sorry, just had to see that beautiful box again!
    Nikklos
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    You need to send me some of those beauties for my raw set, LOL.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Mike - totally forgot - send me a PM if your list has changed!
    Nikklos
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    The miscut card with Tom Timmerman is the great Dave Ricketts!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks for sharing that with us Nikklos. I think if you open a pack and get two that are mint cards to send in from each pack is very good. My experience/expectation is 2 cards per pack will have perfect centering. It is a gamble but that is the nature of this game.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    That's about right, 1954. From this box, I submitted 2, sometimes 3 cards per pack. About 55-60 from this box. There were about 3-4 head-scratcher 6s, a bunch of difficult 8s and the majority beautiful 9s. No 10s. I firmly believe that if I cracked out some 9s, I could get 10s out of them.
    Nikklos
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you happen to pull a centered #599 Senators Rookie Stars?

If so, I'm very interested
    BillWaltonsBeard - you can get a beautiful 8 of that Senators card for $10 BIN on eBay. That is a better bet than anything I pulled and decided not to grade.
    Nikklos
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...even with that line it gets an 8? Those others for 12.95 look ok I guess.
    I got about ten 9s with the line. I believe 70sToppsFanartic posted a pic of his 1970 Hodges PSA 10 with the line. I agree though - much better without a line. It was ubiquitous in this set though.
    Nikklos
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BillWaltonsBeard - you can get a beautiful 8 of that Senators card for $10 BIN on eBay. That is a better bet than anything I pulled and decided not to grade. >>

Now there's a PSA 8.5 for $9.99.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>BillWaltonsBeard - you can get a beautiful 8 of that Senators card for $10 BIN on eBay. That is a better bet than anything I pulled and decided not to grade. >>

Now there's a PSA 8.5 for $9.99. >>

Yeah, someone must be paying attention to the board.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Anytime you rip a box or packs of vintage you have to be realistic on what the odds are of hitting a centered card. Out of all the boxes and vending boxes that I have opened I figure that I will have around 40-60 worth grading. Not saying that others not getting graded won't/can't get a PSA 8. I am just interested in sending in cards that are almost guaranteed an 8 with shots or getting a higher grade. I have tons of cards left over in the mid 70's that are nrmt to nrmt/mt vending. I throw away all the cards that are centered worse than 80/20 with the exception of the stars of course and those that have wax stains.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • FANTASTIC! I love it! All unopened product was made to be ripped!

Seems some of the "whats it worth" collectors are already going insaine!