Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stack's Bowers Auction Newp: US Mint Medal

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
I collect Naval medals as a diversion from my half dime obsession. A most-excellent agent viewed the medal for me (he has a website here). He described the medal to me via telephone and we discussed strategy. I was fortunate to receive an email this morning informing me of his successful bid in the auction. Also cool was that a very well-known dealer in this kind of stuff told my agent afterward that he considered the winning bid to be a pretty good deal.

When this one arrives, it will be #13 in my collection. There are 27 Naval Medals listed in Julian's "Medals of the United States Mint: The First Century 1792-1892." I am not sure if all 27 different Naval Medals are considered "collectable" (i.e. obtainable). So I am at 13 out of 27. Not bad for a half dime collector.

Stack's catalog description read: Lot #143. "1813" (1822) Captain James Lawrence. Julian NA-14. Silvered Bronze. AU.
Description: 65 mm. Obv: bust right, Latin legend around. Rev: naval battle scene, Latin legends above and in exergue. Struck from a late state of the obverse, rim break at 2 o'clock, heavy die crack across Lawrence's portrait. Deep silver gray with definitive olive highlights. Small rim bruises each side. Captain Lawrence died in action in 1813 aboard the U.S.S. Hornet during its victory over H.M.S. Peacock, which sank during the encounter. Museum number 512 inked on edge.

Translation of the inscriptions, per Julian:

Obverse: James Lawrence, it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country.

Reverse: (above the naval scene) Clemency greater than victory
(below the naval scene) Between the American vessel Hornet and the English warship Peacock February 24, 1813

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thats a great looking medal. The detail of the reverse is quite impressive, and the die crack I think adds character. What kind of mintage numbers do these medals have?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I am at 13 out of 27 >>

...plus 4 mules:
    NA-9 with Sept reverse instead of Octobris
    NA-10 with Percusso Alterum reverse of NA-8/11/15
    NA-17 with Percusso Alterum reverse of NA-8/11/15
    NA-18 reverse (wreath) with battle scene reverse of NA-20

Nearly all of the NA series medals are obtainable with patience. Don't expect to complete the set in a year (or five), though!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So I am at 13 out of 27 >>

...plus 4 mules:
    NA-9 with Sept reverse instead of Octobris
    NA-10 with Percusso Alterum reverse of NA-8/11/15
    NA-17 with Percusso Alterum reverse of NA-8/11/15
    NA-18 reverse (wreath) with battle scene reverse of NA-20

Nearly all of the NA series medals are obtainable with patience. Don't expect to complete the set in a year (or five), though! >>

I think I'm only on year 3.5 image

I don't know if I will pursue mules, though if I complete all 27 I will have to consider it! Then of course, I can consider pursuing all metals too...now that would be an impossible task!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Good luck with the quest.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Neat!
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.

What Museum was it from?
  • Options

<< <i>I like it.

What Museum was it from? >>

good question. I don't have an answer to it image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Navy has an interesting biography of Capt. Lawrence here:
  • Options
    very cool, thanks for the link!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised that a retired Army Colonel would not know about a Navy website image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file