Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991 Pro Set pack pulled autos? Now with pics.

Anyone know what players were available?

I have an Ozzie Newsome that I think was pulled from a pack. Were there others?
"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
CDsNuts, 1/9/15

Comments

• I don't think Pro-Set did any. I thought Upper Deck was the first to do certified auto's in the pack.

• << <i>Pro Line did in pack autos starting in '91. >>

Yep. Pretty sure all of the cards were auto'd on the back...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Pro Line had autos on the front. I pulled a Howie Long back when they first came out. I still have it actually. Good looking set.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Early Pro Lines from 1991 and 1992 were mainly on the back but I'm guessing some weren't done that way in those sets. Later on, Pro Line went to autographs on the front. I think Pro Set did a Patrick Roy in hockey around 1991 and not sure about any others or in football.

• << <i>Anyone know what players were available?

I have an Ozzie Newsome that I think was pulled from a pack. Were there others? >>

...Any interest in selling that card to a Newsome collector? (me)...LOL
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Beckett show this on their website:

1991 Pro Set #699 Ozzie Newsome LEGEND
    1991 Pro Set #AU699 O.Newsome AU/500

So I take this to mean that one was from a pack, or some kind of redemption.

I have two 1991 ProSet Newsome's with autos, that are embossed with the ProSet logo. I think they are the AU/500 type, but I can't find any info on them.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Well I guess I should have searched Beckett... I found the only other player to be listed with an Auto in the 91 set is LT.
    1991 Pro Set #AU336 L.Taylor REP AU/500
    1991 Pro Set #AU394 L.Taylor PB AU/500
    1991 Pro Set #AU699 O.Newsome AU/500

So Beckett thinks these cards are available with autos. I'll try to scan my Newsome tomorrow, but the embossing doesn't really show up in a scan.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Have no memory of that. Learn something new every day!

<< <i>Have no memory of that. Learn something new every day! >>

You're not alone. This set came out in my collecting heyday, and I don't remember even thinking I could pull an auto from those boxes.
    I truly can't find any info on these cards. Beckett is how I found out about the Newsome over a year ago. In that time I've found two #699's with an auto and an embossed Pro Set logo.

Doing a few quick searches, I don't see any LT's.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • From what I remember (as a die-hard Pro Set collector from 1990-1992), the following sets had the following pack-issued autographs:

1991 Pro Set Football 2:

3 Different Lawrence Taylor cards
    1 Ozzie Newsome card
    1 Erik Kramer card (DO NOT BELIEVE THIS EXISTS despite Beckett's word)

1991-92 Pro Set Hockey 1:

2 different Patrick Roy cards
    1 Kirk McLean card

1992 Pro Set Football 1:

1 Erik Kramer card (confirmed, 1000 total)
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • I was educated about this set after I found an auto from the set, thinking it was just an after market auto I put it out on my table and luckily a collector walked by and told me it was the first certified autograph of that player, I think it was Rice or Montana or something, was a bigger star player.

<< <i>From what I remember (as a die-hard Pro Set collector from 1990-1992), the following sets had the following pack-issued autographs:

1991 Pro Set Football 2:

3 Different Lawrence Taylor cards
    1 Ozzie Newsome card
    1 Erik Kramer card (DO NOT BELIEVE THIS EXISTS despite Beckett's word)

1991-92 Pro Set Hockey 1:

2 different Patrick Roy cards
    1 Kirk McLean card

1992 Pro Set Football 1:

1 Erik Kramer card (confirmed, 1000 total) >>

So are these auto cards all just embossed as "certification"? No hand numbering?
    My goal here is to have PSA recognize my Newsomes as the ProSet certified type and not just a random TTM Newsome auto.
    Thanks for all the responses.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Here's what the embossing looks like. Best I could do.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Thought I'd give this a weekend bump to see if anyone else has any information.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • I have been looking for the LT pack pulled autos from 1991 Pro Set for many years, and I have never seen one. According to Beckett 25th Edition Price Guide the LT ones are numbered to 500. The Ozzie Newsome pack pulled auto just says "Certified Autograph" in Beckett with no mention of how many signed. The embossing on the Newsome must be the certification. Anyone ever see or better yet have one of the LT pack pulled signed autos from '91 Pro Set? PSA should grade your Newsome card since it is listed in Beckett.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
    I would love to get conformation that the LT's exist.

Nice LT master set! Wow, I had no idea he had that many cards.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Thanks David. It has taken a long time to build, and it's been good fun along the way. When all is said and done, the LT Master Set should have about 310 cards although that could change to a much higher number depending on how many LT variations there are to the 1988 Topps Stickers. If I come across one of the pack pulled '91 Pro Set Autos I will let you know and please do the same for me. That signed pack pulled Newsome is a very cool card, and it gives me hope that pack pulled signed '91 Pro Set LT's do exist now.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • The earliest card I can remember that was autograph right out of the pack was 1990 Upper Deck baseball Reggie Jackson. It was an insert card that was randomly autograph and the big thing on the outside of the box in the high number series was the Reggie. 1991 there were a couple of different ones in pro set. There are two different Eric Kramer autographs. 1991 and 1992. The one from 1991 was randomly inserted into the final update set. The Lawrence Taylor's also exist. There was no embossment on the 1991 but there was on the 1992. 1991 he has a Luke in one of his letters that goes below his name. Inside that Loop he put like a face or something like that on each one. That is supposed to be the way you know that it was pack issued. Eric Kramer cards have the embossment on them. I have 1 of all of the Pro Set football autograph cards with the exception of the Lawrence Taylor cards. I have seen them up for sale. The last one I saw somebody had put it up for sale on eBay for $500 or best offer and it ended up selling for 450. That was a couple years ago though.
    Avid pro set collector Bledsoe super collector
  • Ok. Seems like a weird bump.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird, but I opened tons of those pro set cards and don't remember the Taylor autos we're they advertised on the packaging?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• I have the 82 Embossed Ozzie Newsome Auto....just found it while searching thru my totes. Used to heavily collect in the early 90s. Apparentley this card is super rare? I see something in Beckett with a limited edition to 500, but not sure if the 82 is on it. I'm trying to get a value on it, its been very difficult!

• I would be interested in it to go with my Ozzie Newsome collection if you are selling it....thx

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@DanBessette said:
    Ok. Seems like a weird bump.

Apparently all thread revivals should go through some sort of committee vote? Weird response to a comment I say. And yes, I assume if the guy is banned, he may not see or care about my thoughts, but sharing all the same.

Regarding value, it seems like ebay tends to be the best judge. The good stuff usually seems to rise to the top. Newsome is a HOFer, but his auto (in general) is plentiful and he seems like he was not wildly popular as many other HOFers. To the right person though, this thing might be worth a bunch.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
    edited December 13, 2019 8:21PM

@mrmopar said:

"Newsome is a HOFer, but his auto (in general) is plentiful and he seems like he was not wildly popular as many other HOFers"

CSUrunandstun might hunt you down for saying things like that about Ozzie lol.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • LOL....Hi DavidPuddy...hope you are well!

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@DavidPuddy said:

@mrmopar said:

"Newsome is a HOFer, but his auto (in general) is plentiful and he seems like he was not wildly popular as many other HOFers"

CSUrunandstun might hunt you down for saying things like that about Ozzie lol.

I collect Garvey so I am used to people slamming my collecting interests. Plus he is not and may likely never reach HOF status. Missed it again this year.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2019 4:27PM

@mrmopar said:

@DanBessette said:
    Ok. Seems like a weird bump.

Apparently all thread revivals should go through some sort of committee vote? Weird response to a comment I say. And yes, I assume if the guy is banned, he may not see or care about my thoughts, but sharing all the same.

Regarding value, it seems like ebay tends to be the best judge. The good stuff usually seems to rise to the top. Newsome is a HOFer, but his auto (in general) is plentiful and he seems like he was not wildly popular as many other HOFers. To the right person though, this thing might be worth a bunch.

I’m back and I’m sorry my comment from 3.5 years ago offended you today. All I can say is that it was 3.5 years ago.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• @CSUrunandstun said:
    I would be interested in it to go with my Ozzie Newsome collection if you are selling it....thx

Whats the highest your willing to pay? Im thinking about posting it on Ebay.

• no real idea what it's worth...whats the lowest your willing to sell it for?

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@whtuwntfo said:

@CSUrunandstun said:
    I would be interested in it to go with my Ozzie Newsome collection if you are selling it....thx

Whats the highest your willing to pay? Im thinking about posting it on Ebay.

Welcome to the forum

Actually forgot I had a third one of these. Tough to get higher than an 8.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15