Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Albert Pujols RC Question/Opinion???

If you were going to buy one of the many 2001 RC's of Pujols (other than the Bowman Chrome Auto) in a PSA 10/BGS 9.5, which one would you pick and why? Which one has the best potential to increase in value?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Donruss Elite, limited print, difficult as hell pull. Didn't get an Ichiro or pujols in several boxes.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    If money is not so much an issue and you want a great card with long-term upside...

2001 Donruss Signatures : It's autographed, it has a lower stated print run then the BC (330 vs. 500), condition sensitive and can be had in high grade at 1/2 the price or less than the BC (albeit I know both PSA 10's are spoken for, but I see the occassional BGS 9 & 9.5 on eBay)

If you just want a really nice high grade Pujols without breaking the bank...

and you want an Auto... 2001 SPX : Great card, on-card autograph, plentiful enough in high grade and can often be had for under a grand

and you don't need an Auto... 2001 Studio : Great visually appealing card, tough in high grade (hard to find the combo of sharp corners and good centering), smallish print run at 700 cards, not terribly expensive and plentiful enough to have a shot at one (psa 10 pop 21, currently)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be Mr. Negative but if history is any indication, all his cards are likely to decline in value when he retires. That's the trend of modern cards.
  • Options

<< <i>If money is not so much an issue and you want a great card with long-term upside...

2001 Donruss Signatures : It's autographed, it has a lower stated print run then the BC (330 vs. 500), condition sensitive and can be had in high grade at 1/2 the price or less than the BC (albeit I know both PSA 10's are spoken for, but I see the occassional BGS 9 & 9.5 on eBay)

If you just want a really nice high grade Pujols without breaking the bank...

and you want an Auto... 2001 SPX : Great card, on-card autograph, plentiful enough in high grade and can often be had for under a grand

and you don't need an Auto... 2001 Studio : Great visually appealing card, tough in high grade (hard to find the combo of sharp corners and good centering), smallish print run at 700 cards, not terribly expensive and plentiful enough to have a shot at one (psa 10 pop 21, currently) >>

What no love for the auto'ed eTopps cardimage
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For non autographed rookie cards, I personally like the 2001 Topps Traded Chrome Retrofractor and the 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractor Rainbow Holofoil. I just got both of these recently for my Topps Refractors team set run.

The only autographed rookie that I have is not even one you could pull from a pack. It is a regular 2001 Topps Traded that was autographed and authenticated by JSA. I would say that these are more scarce than anything you could pull from a pack, though I can't prove that. I have only seen and heard of one other.

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    /

Shane

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to be Mr. Negative but if history is any indication, all his cards are likely to decline in value when he retires. That's the trend of modern cards. >>

You very well could be right, but I just don't see it. Time will tell though, as we haven't really had any modern superstar, HOF-caliber players yet retire who's RC's were produced in the 21st century age of limited print runs. The trend you speak of now mostly relates to the cards of recent stars past who's RC's were produced in the 80's and early 90's during a time of mass production. Hundreds of thousands of their cards exist... a newly graded batch of PSA 10's is right around the corner... daily. Many of these "modern" cards have PSA 10 populations that exceed the sole print run of 21st century RC's.

Time will tell, but with a guy like Pujols... I just can't see long-term value not trending upward. Unfortunately, I can't think of too many others with 21st century rookies that that can also be said about. Mauer, maybe, if he can get his health and game back on track. Tim Lincecum perhaps. Big maybe on Ichiro.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    great points...

there are no comparisons to make yet as far as past HOF and Pujols....

by limiting the number on most of his rookies, the card companies made a brilliant move in 2001 (a ground breaking year for sure )

especially with Donruss' entry back into baseball, they made so many tough to find, rare pujols 2001 cards....

true, over time a 2001 Pujols fleer tradition or Topps traded may decline (there are over 200,000 of each), but his donruss Elite, Bowman Chrome and other serial numbered cards seem to not only be holding value, but increasin, even in a Pujols down year by his standards...

if no SUPERSTAR emerges in the next 10 years to rival Pujols accomplishments, then its a good bet i believe, that his cards will continue to accelerate in value....

ps....has anyone ever compared seasonal stat lines for Pujols and Mickey Mantle?? WOW talk about a dwarfing of numbers! and dont tell me it is easier to hit Doubles now then it was 40 years ago...
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

Any estimate on how many 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractors and Rainbow Holofoil Pujols cards there are?

Shane

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Pujols first 10 years exceeded that of Gehrig and Ruth. I don't see his cards going down unless he melts down.
  • Options
    When it comes to current players.....Tomorrow never knows.....

Pujols could be a juice head, could beat his wife, could kill someone. those things would effect future "value"

if none of the above were to be true or occur, the fact that donruss will be a very distant memory could also negate a lot of the "scarcity" associated with the demand for his "rarer" DLP rookies.

i wouldnt say it's a shock that two of the biggest supporters of his cards in this thread are both mega-collectors of his, nothing wrong with that, and its to be expected.

at the end of the day, collect what you like. if you MUST follow the crowd, then do yourself a favor and pick up an auto rookie that doesnt have one of those damn stickers on it.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I do not know .No matter which one you buy its still a risk.He has a long way to go yet.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    After Pujols signs a six year $140 million contract in a few months with the Cardinals, he will be set up to become .....

THE ALL TIME HOME RUN CHAMP!

Its in the Cards! do the math
  • Options
    Onlybackpages,

Donruss' Demise does not in any way diminish the scarcity, the demand or the coolness, of some of their 2001 Pujols MASTERPIECES:

image /25

just a few Donruss 2001 CLASSICS!
  • Options
    Those are some really nice cards, do you mind me asking when you picked up that #/32 one?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After Pujols signs a six year $140 million contract in a few months with the Cardinals, he will be set up to become .....

THE ALL TIME HOME RUN CHAMP!

Its in the Cards! do the math >>

He is a HOFer now..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    2001 Ultimate Collection #d to 250
    And probably only half of those don't have chipped edges
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    took years for me to find the /32 aspirations....only have 2 for sale ever!

Hammered, good call on the Ultimate Collection Card /250.....that is probably Pujols toughest, Most valuable, non auto rookie card!

not to mention it came from the industry's first ever $100 a pack! The ultimate collection set also provided us with cool Pujols games used cards numbered to as low as 15!!!!!