Home Sports Talk
Options

Fan uses illegal Taser at 9/11 Cowboys-Jets game

stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fan uses illegal Taser at 9/11 Cowboys-Jets game

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) – A South Carolina man was arrested after allegedly using an illegal Taser in a fight with other fans during the Dallas Cowboys-New York Jets game Sunday night, state police said.

By Ed Mulholland, US Presswire

Leroy McKelvey of Moncks Corner, S.C., was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and two weapons counts. The 59-year-old McKelvey was taken to the Bergen County Jail where bail was set at $22,500. It wasn't known if he had retained an attorney.

The website Deadspin posted a cellphone video Monday of the fight. One fan can be heard on the video saying: "How did he get in here with that thing?"

MetLife Stadium CEO Mark Lamping said no one was seriously hurt in the incident during the Jets' 27-24 victory.

There was an increased security presence at the game on the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, including bomb-sniffing dogs checking every car that entered. Fans were also patted down and had their bags checked, typical of game day security.

"Procedures for pat downs established by the NFL and used at every game were in effect at all entry gates," Lamping said in a statement.

It's possible there could be changes in the security methods, though. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is "always refining and improving our security procedures."

"These procedures have been successful in keeping items that can cause serious injuries out of our stadiums," Aiello said in a statement. "We will continue to be vigilant in protecting the safety of our fans."

Comments

• Options
    New York fans - LOL

At least in Philly, we only use batteries and snowballs. image
  • Options
    Yes, the guy lives in South Carolina, but he was likely a New York fan who once lived in the area...or perhaps he was a Cowboys fan whereby I'd be very happy to stand corrected. LOL
  • Options
    Hey stevek, I've actually been Moncks Corner, SC before. Don't remember exactly where in SC it is but was there once.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey stevek, I've actually been Moncks Corner, SC before. Don't remember exactly where in SC it is but was there once.

Ron >>

Perhaps South Carolina is in need of an NFL football team. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey stevek, I've actually been Moncks Corner, SC before. Don't remember exactly where in SC it is but was there once.

Ron >>

Perhaps South Carolina is in need of an NFL football team. image >>

Our local AAA team the Charlotte Knights, farm team of Chicago White Sox, I think, is in Fort Mill, SC. One of the humorist writers for the Charlotte Observer once wrote that Charlotte was the only place he knew of that you had to go out of state to see the local team play.

Ron

Edited to add: By the way, Moncks Corner, SC is near Charleston close the coast in southeast SC.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Actually, the New York City football teams have played in New Jersey for years, so there are more teams like that.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New York fans - LOL

At least in Philly, we only use batteries and snowballs. image >>

That is only what gets reported.