Home Sports Talk

Janikowski kicks 63 yard FG

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
To tie Jason Elam and Tom Dempsey.

Tom Dempsey's record is still the most impressive, as the other two were in the Denver thin air. And Dempsey had half a foot (although I wonder if the half foot was an advantage instead of a handicap).

Comments

• I saw the clip of him throwing $100 bills at the refs.......same ol Sabastian....
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i say Janikowski, he's only one to have two 60+. he had a 61 in Cleveland, in late December '09

He had a 64 yarder hit the upright about ten feet above the crossbar in Oakland. i don't know of any attempts by Elam has over 63 yards but i'm sure he has some.

Dempsey's was amazing, i can't debate the foot issue
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dempsey's was amazing- I remember the game against Detroit and the score was posted as a final with Detroit winning 17-16 during the NFL game on at the time- then the news broke

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dempsey's was amazing- I remember the game against Detroit and the score was posted as a final with Detroit winning 17-16 during the NFL game on at the time- then the news broke >>

i remember it, too..

BTW you can see all of these on youtube!
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To tie Jason Elam and Tom Dempsey.

Tom Dempsey's record is still the most impressive, as the other two were in the Denver thin air. And Dempsey had half a foot (although I wonder if the half foot was an advantage instead of a handicap). >>

Having defenders not really try to block it is also a big advantage.

Tabe
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Kind of funny that the high school record is 68 (or 70?), and the NCAA record is 67. I guess it's mostly because there's so few NFL games compared to high school and college.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I think SeBas will break the record before his career is done. People thought the Raiders were crazy for drafting him in the first round but for the last six years or so he's been the most consistent player on the entire roster.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amusing that some folks would consider the 63 yard field goals kicked in Denver (5,280 feet in altitude) by Jason Elam and Sebastian Janikowski to be not as "worthy" as the 63 yard field goal kicked by Tom Dempsey (at an altitude much less than that of Denver).

Maybe an asterisk should be placed in the record book next to Elam and Janikowski with a foot note of Denver's altitude.

Maybe the next thing to be done with respect to sports records (field goals, home runs, 100 meter dash times, swimming records, etc.) is to have weather conditions (temperature, humidity, wind velocity, water density, etc.) and geographic parameters (sea level, 1000 feet in altitude, etc.) noted and included in the criteria that ranks who is #1, #2 and down the line for the particular recordimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a drop kicker by the name of Pat O'Dea that played at Wisconsin and he may have been the first to kick a FG over 60 yards- that would have been in the 1890s-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the 70 yarder he hit in warmups? He's a moose. Wish they would give him some longer chances.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I have Janikowski on my fantasy team and lose to Welker's 99 yarder! Go figure!
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That kick would have been good from 65 or 66.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the next thing to be done with respect to sports records (field goals, home runs, 100 meter dash times, swimming records, etc.) is to have weather conditions (temperature, humidity, wind velocity, water density, etc.) and geographic parameters (sea level, 1000 feet in altitude, etc.) noted and included in the criteria that ranks who is #1, #2 and down the line for the particular recordimage >>

In the case of track & field records, at least, they already do this. They have parameters for altitude and wind that must be met for records to count.

Tabe
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe an asterisk should be placed in the record book next to Elam and Janikowski with a foot note of Denver's altitude. >>

As well as Todd Helton's 2000 batting title. image