Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT - The Walk to End Alzheimer's - It's tomorrow!

I hope this stays up for a little bit.

As most of you know, in June 2010, I lost my father due to complications with Alzheimer's disease. He was also a coin collector like myself. What you may not know is that I also lost my grandfather and a great-grandfather to the same disease. What is real scary is that my dad's 3 brothers do not or did not have this disease. My grandfather's 3 brothers and 2 sisters did not have this stuff. I'm betting my great-grandfather's siblings didnt have it either. Does anyone else see a straight line pointing toward me?

I'll be walking in this year's "Walk to End Alzheiners" to raise money for Alzheinmer's research. This 3 mile walk will be this Saturday, Sept 17, 2011. I'm not going to bore you with all the stats about how many people in the US have this disease. I will tell you this which I did not know until I did this walk last year - There have been cancer survivors. There have been diabetes surviviors. There has NEVER been an Alzheimer's surivior. That woke me up!

Imagine this: You go to visit your dad and he has clue who you are. Yeah, that sucked.

If you would like to donate, Please click here to donate whatever you can online. If you would rather not donate online, there is a form on the website that you can mail in. Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks gang!

UPDATE - If the above link does not work, please go to http://2011walktoendalz.kintera.org/maryland/cliffandrews .
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandfather had it too. Still haven't seen signs in my dad fortunately but I also have the same fear about myself. Unfortunately, this is a disease that strikes the family harder than the victim. Good luck with your efforts.

    JH
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image
    Becky
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I remember when I first ntoiced something wrong with dad. I went back home o see mom & dad. Dad asked when I was leaving. I said I'm going back to Maryland after lunch on Sunday so I can get another free meal out of him. image

    10 minutes later, dad would ask me the exact same question.

    Either this was my first notice of dad's Alzheimer's OR ..... he really wanted to me leave! image





    Please donate whatever you can. Anything is greatly appreciated.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Less than 2 days before the Walk!!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭
    image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your link and URL in the OP are not working. Fix it and I'm in.

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Your link and URL in the OP are not working. Fix it and I'm in. >>



    I tried to get the link to work and place it *here* but it isn't working out for me either. Sorry for the post!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Your link and URL in the OP are not working. Fix it and I'm in. >>


    That's strange. It works for me. I've added another way to get to the donation website.
    Click here for the alternate URL: http://2011walktoendalz.kintera.org/maryland/cliffandrews
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭

    Eating a diet rich in a certain type of omega-3 fatty acid may slow or even prevent Alzheimer’s disease, according to a new study in mice.
    Press release

    So add flax seeds, salmon and walnuts to your diet (brain food).
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking part in a great cause my mother went down that path to.
    image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Thanks for taking part in a great cause my mother went down that path to.
    image >>



    Sorry to hear about your mom. The most important thing I learned about dealing with Alzheimer's patients is not to argue with them. Dad told me that his 73 year old friend just gave birth to twins. I said somerthing like "I need to go over and see your friend and check out how's she doing."
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Mar327Mar327 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭
    Our elderly neighbor across the street died last year from it. He'd occasionally go for walks before dusk up the road, (we're in the country) usually turn around and go back while we could still see him. If we were out on the porch and saw him go too far, we'd go after him and walk him home. He'd often come up through our yard and ask how Jerry's uncle was doing, and we'd have to tell him he died 5 years ago. He was always so sad to hear that, so we just started telling him he was doing okay. It was sad. Sometimes comical, but so many times we'd look at each other and say "this could be us someday." The same stories, over and over for years - he was a wonderful man we'd known most of our lives from church and it really did hurt to watch him deteriorate.

    I made a donation - thank you for walking.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    I'm in... Lost my grandfather many years ago so here's to Pappa....
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I didn't know Alzheimer's affected so many people here.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file