Home Sports Talk
Options

Cam Newton... Really?

First rookie qb with 400+ yards passing in his first NFL game. They came up a bit short, but what a performance!
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the team, but hope he does well. He is off to a great start.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was shocked when I checked the stats of that game, granted weak defense but geezuz what a game! Looks like Carolina did well with that pick
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Guess who NEVER threw for as many yards as Newton did today?
    Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton.
  • Options

<< <i>Guess who NEVER threw for as many yards as Newton did today?
    Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton. >>

You can remove Tom Brady's name from that list.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't enshrine him just yet. Some of the rookie QBs at the top of the all time 1st game yardage list I've never heard of.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guess who NEVER threw for as many yards as Newton did today?
    Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton. >>

You can remove Tom Brady's name from that list. >>

Heh, you pissed Tom off! Come playoff time, please piss off Tom some more. image
  • Options
    he is elite right now
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can remove Tom Brady's name from that list. >>

I'm a reverse jinxer.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This brings up an interesting question, and one that I'm going to have to wrestle with for the remainder of the week: Who do I start in week two, Rivers or... ahem.... Grossman?
  • Options
    Rivers, without a doubt.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Rivers, without a doubt. >>

Agreed. Chad Henne just threw for 400 yards on that Pats D.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    back to the OP - I'm not buying Cam Newton right now....we'll see what he's made of this week when a real defense comes to town. If he has a passer rating above 80.0 this week, I might start climbing on the bandwagon.

boo - as tempting as it might be to play a QB vs. the porous ARI defense that just gave up 400+ yds to a rookie...you gotta go with Rivers.
  • Options
    I completely agree, guys, that Rivers has to be the play. The only problem is that I'm just stupid enough to talk myself into Grossman sometime around 10 am on Sunday. It's moves of this sort that explain why I've never won a fantasy league, of any kind, in 6+ years, and have only made the playoffs twice (this despite the fact that I've played in leagues where a full eight out of ten teams go on to the second season).
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can remove Tom Brady's name from that list. >>

I'm a reverse jinxer. >>

Love it! image

Boo, without question go with Rivers!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised to hear that, Boo....you seem to be one of the more enlightened guys on this board...figured you to be the type that does well in FF...
  • Options

<< <i>I'm surprised to hear that, Boo....you seem to be one of the more enlightened guys on this board...figured you to be the type that does well in FF... >>

No, I'm really bad. And I'm bad in all sports. One of these days I might figure it out, but for at least the past six years I've been a walking ATM for anyone in my leagues.
  • Options
    He did it again this week!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Cam will have to iron out the wrinkles, but the Panthers are a successful draft or two away from being a team to reckon with.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Newton has surprised me so far.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Cam!