Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Say Hello To My Little Friend...

Just got this in the mail. I may not have a female mail carrier delivering to my house like some of you, but I was still pretty happy with what our mailman delivered last week...

Anyway, I love the 71 set, and the Munson has one of my favorite pictures/scenes on ANY baseball card. It's hard to find 9s, much less high end 9s in this set, so I was happy to have a chance to pick this up. JP (Memory Lane) has been consigning one on eBay for years and while I negotiated hard with JP and the consignor, they just wouldn't come down to a fair price. So I waited...and waited...and waited. lol. Fortunately, I ended up getting a much better deal through their auction. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding! Congratulations
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMR on that is $7500+, wow that is a huge card!!

Thanks for sharing that is awesome!
  • Options
    Just a stunning stunning card of a Yankee Legend.
    Congrats! And Im glad that the patience paid off for you.
  • Options
    Beauty!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is such a great card because of the tough Black borders, great find.
  • Options
    hello. image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Dan,

Congrats on a great card. I always loved that card and to get it in that condition is truly amazing. Patience is a great trait to have and I'm glad it paid off for you. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Will you crack it to attempt for a 10? image

Thats a real beauty!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a beauty for sure Dan. I'm trying the same approach on a few cards that I have my eye on. Not in the price scale your card is in but I think they can go lower. Patience right?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Thing of beauty...
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Outstanding card. That's a tough one in any grade because of the centering issues.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    great great great scene! congrats
  • Options
    WOW!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful card! Glad you were able to acquire it.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WOW! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    my oh my
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Dan, Great card. The best is knowing what ML wanted, and ultimately what you were able to buy it for.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Me be jealous!!! Me be very jealous!!! Sweet addition. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome card and one of the best action shots of all-time.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan, nice addition.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Awesome pickup!!! I would rather own that than a low grade Mantle RC.

Thanks for sharing.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    That card is so nice I can't even see the edges!!!! That is nicer looking then some of the PSA 10s I have seen for that issue. I am guessing the only reason it is not in a 10 holder is the back centering? Very very nice card for that issue! Congrats again!!!!!
  • Options
    Memory Lane has one on the Bay for $12,995. Your recent purchase is a Beast!! I am sure you got it at a great price, and would think this card can only go up in value.

He shoots he scores!!!

Someday I hope to have about 50 or so of cards like this ones value in my portfolio for retirement, or to pass down to my kids. Like Scott said I'm jealous.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Holy crap, what a fantastic card. Congrats!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    image NICE!!!!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That could have 10'd

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET..
  • Options
    That is just one remarkable card
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, just awesome!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is nicer looking then some of the PSA 10s I have seen for that issue. I am guessing the only reason it is not in a 10 holder is the back centering? >>

I'm not sure what you mean by that. There are no 10's of this card. And I believe there are only four 9's.

Amazing pickup, by the way. Tremendous card.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, Great card. Congrats!!!!image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think Tim meant 10's for that issue.................

71's in general.

Good for you.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card !!! --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Easily the nicest example I've ever seen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is nicer looking then some of the PSA 10s I have seen for that issue. I am guessing the only reason it is not in a 10 holder is the back centering? >>

I'm not sure what you mean by that. There are no 10's of this card. And I believe there are only four 9's.

Amazing pickup, by the way. Tremendous card. >>

I meant PSA 10s of other 1971 cards. Thats what I meant "for that issue". I never seen a munson Psa 10. Last I looked there was a Rose PSA 10 but I never seen it. I have seen PSA 10s of commons and some semi stars on the 71 set...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan, Great card. The best is knowing what ML wanted, and ultimately what you were able to buy it for. >>

lol. they did leave a few bones on the table. To everyone else: thanks for the compliments guys.

• Options

Outstanding grab Dan, well done ol sailor, cheers man. image
  • Options
    Thanks, Trent.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the scan is not big enough, but why is that not a 10? Seems to me PSA is overly picky with the '71s.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Crack it out and resubmit it for a 10....Only kidding. Fantastic card!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Crack it out and resubmit it for a 10....Only kidding. Fantastic card! >>

Card was reviewed. The left/right centering is the reasoning they gave for not bumping to a 10.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

I salute you for a worthy competition (I was bidding against you on that card, and was not about to
    pay JP the $12,995 he was asking on the one that's been sitting for more than a year).

So for now I settled with the PSA 8.5 until I see another PSA 9 that is more reasonably priced like yours.

Congrats.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Dan,

I salute you for a worthy competition (I was bidding against you on that card, and was not about to
    pay JP the $12,995 he was asking on the one that's been sitting for more than a year).

So for now I settled with the PSA 8.5 until I see another PSA 9 that is more reasonably priced like yours.

Congrats. >>

I hear you. Hopefully JP will deal on this one (I know what the consignor expects to get out of it, so PM me if you want details), because if you're looking for the card in a 9, it may not come around for a while. I have one, a close friend has another, the third is on eBay, and the fourth and final one is likely buried in Spence's or somebody else's collection where it won't see the light of day.

But you're smart to be patient. It almost always pays off with these kinds of cards. JP is going after the impetuous, deep-pocket collector listing this at $13K.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to take anything away from JP. He runs a solid company and always has high quality vinatge offerings.
    But IMHO he'd have more regular business flowing through if he the "retail" pricing was more reflective of the market
    and less aimed at impulsive purchases.

Dave
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Not only is that a wonderful conditioned card, but that is a great card period! That is THE Thurman Munson card as far as I am concerned. It might be one of the top five most atractive cards of the 1970's.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.