Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post your Heritage Winnings

Heritage had a nice selection of Austro-Hungarian Talers, some in MS-64 and 65 grades. I went after some evasive Habsburg Taler types missing from my set, two being from the scarcer Graz mint. All have the original skins on them along with sharp details. Overall, Talers drew very strong prices (I believe values for MS grades have doubled in the past few years) which left me licking my wounds and out of commission in the short term. Nevertheless, I am very pleased !

Archduke Ferdinand Karl 2 Taler ND (1646) Hall. Dav-3363, AU58 NGC. Very attractive design and variety with the lion's head on the shoulder.

Ferdinand III Taler 1638 Graz Mint. Dav-3185, MS63 NGC, silvery-gray and gold patina with strong details. Very scarce grade for this series.

Leopold the Hogmouth Taler 1698 Graz Mint. Dav-3235, MS63 NGC. I liked the colors and design on this one with aged patina and sharply struck details. The edge clipping (Zainede) is a bit distracting yet the overall look of this one is quite attractive for the set.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice group Zohar. So far I have the following:

1807 Penny in 66 BN

1839 Shilling in 65

And finally an 1861 Proof of Record 1/2d in PF65 RB

As long as there are still bids open there is hope for more though.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coins, guys. Zohar, you should host your Taler collection somewhere we can admire it image

I was going after only 1 pretty common coin (albeit MS63) and won it for slightly more than I was planning to spend. But I've had a very long day at work and had a few shots of vodka before the auction, so it felt like the right thing to do. Also, I am still very curious to see what NGC calls an UNC when it comes to portrait 8 Reales.

1809 Mexico 8 Reales - NGC MS63

imageimage
    Roman - Taler collection is posted in my sigline. Is this a key date or is the scarcity in the high grade? BTW - I never tried drinking before an auction and given that I am a lightweight that could be a problem as I seem to be out of control recently as it is.

I had to block an hour during my work day to quietly bid. Told people that I have a serious transaction I am working on so I did not lie image
    I thought prices were very strong for rare pieces, the 1839 Proof 63 5 Pounds went for $80k, when I had thought it might go $35k or so since it is not in the highest grade. And the 1834 Proof 66 Crown (William IV) went for double the estimate at $60k. I think quite a few of the more ordinary British pieces went fairly weak, or didn't sell due to unrealistically high reserves. I bought all 3 of the ones I won tonight for within my estimate, the 1807 penny in particular I thought I got cheap ,the other 2 were very fair prices.

<< <i>Roman - Taler collection is posted in my sigline. Is this a key date or is the scarcity in the high grade? BTW - I never tried drinking before an auction and given that I am a lightweight that could be a problem as I seem to be out of control recently as it is.

I had to block an hour during my work day to quietly bid. Told people that I have a serious transaction I am working on so I did not lie image >>

Man, totally forgot that you had your set linked in the signature. After a while I notice I just scroll over signatures without even registering the content.

With regards to the 8 Reales - it's arguably the most common in the Ferdinand VII armor bust series. Even though this one is a slight variation in terms of positioning of obverse / reverse legend with respect to the portrait / coat of arms from the one I already own, it's not enough to warrant calling it a variety. In this case I really just wanted to see what NGC calls an MS63 in this series. There's a high chance I will end-up flipping it our Oriental friends on eBay for a slight premium over what I paid tonight.

I would recommend against drinking and bidding, especially if you're a lightweight image
    It looks very nice. These seem to have weaker strikes in general. I assume the technology used was not as advanced as for other 19th century crown minting in Europe.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very choice pieces there guys. image

I thought this was a Very nicely stuck and centered Choice. There was a porcupine, but it got away. Trend was down on this piece, got it for less than I thought from previous sales of like coins.... in the last couple years..,image

France: Charles VI gold Ecu d'Or ND (1380-1422) NGC MS-63

Heritage photos. :
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice pieces guys image

theboz11: "Very nicely stuck and centered Choice" I agree
    That Charles VI is a very nice piece.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All amazing coins, heritage is too rich for this low hundreds a month budget collector here lol.

I especially like the 1839 Shilling & of yours the talers.
    Thanks It is really getting hard to find without putting a mortgage on your house.image
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks It is really getting hard to find without putting a mortgage on your house.image >>

LOL ... tell me about image
  • How about this one.

Blazing and Welcome to the Darkside.

<< <i>How about this one. >>

Nice little gem! Welcome to the forum!

• << <i>

<< <i>How about this one. >>

Nice little gem! Welcome to the forum! >>

Thanks, I thought plus(+) is only assigned in SP holder. Can someone confirm it.
    No it is part of the general grading scheme.

BTW I took a screenshot during the bid - some prices were abnormally high. Can someone explain this one?

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was my wish list...as in "I Wish"

Nada, nothing, wasn't really trying--hmm, buy a car or a coin, do you think my hubby would have noticed if I rode my bike everywhere or tried to send him to the store with a slab instead of a set of keys????. Seriously, I think the prices covered buying anything from a Ford Fiesta to a (possibly used) Ferrari. I went with something closer to the Fiesta... no Japanese pattern coins for me image.

Cathy

eta...please ignore the bmw folder in the corner...that was wishful thinking! Oh, and please ignore the article about episiotomies (you really don't want to know).

eta #2, and just for fun, some real Storks nesting on an abandoned sugar factory in El Portal (?sp) Spain which we saw today while driving in a car and not admiring a slab image

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stork very funny LOL!

Some great pick ups here wow - prices were strong overall.

I picked up a Curacao 1 reaal 1821 I've been looking for

Zohar I scheduled appointments thruout - otherwise the wife wudda sold me and the slabs ;/

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    CV for the 1915H half penny in the Australian catalogue for choice unc is AU$16,000 (US$17,000+). The Krause values for Australian coins aren't really worth the paper they've printed them on.

<< <i>BTW I took a screenshot during the bid - some prices were abnormally high. Can someone explain this one?

image >>

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    This one:

<< <i>
    1839 Shilling in 65

>>

Looks spectacular!
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Cathy, this auction prized itself for its Japanese items. The entire Dr Norman Jacobs collection of Japanese and Korean coins realized $6.8 million, so don't beat yourself up.

<< <i>

I would recommend against drinking and bidding, especially if you're a lightweight image >>

Hmmm, I disagree with the above post. Roman, I know you're young, but how long are you gonna wait to switch to middle or heavyweight? We only live once. image

I find the combination of a few shots of vodka and bidding very exciting.

That tiny US-Phil 1904 10c PCGS MS67+ must be BEYOND spectacular in hand, knowing the average quality of Heritage images. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

As for me, nothing of interest in this one. But I just love these threads regardless.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>Hmmm, I disagree with the above post. Roman, I know you're young, but how long are you gonna wait to switch to middle or heavyweight? We only live once. image >>

You wound me, Dimitri image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all bosen (seed) coins from the mid-1800s:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    A Meiji-18 2 Rin pattern:

imageimage
    A beautiful trio of Taisho 1 Sen patterns:
    (Note, Heritage screwed up the images of the third piece online, so I am using the slab image.)

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    All I can say is, wow and what a pedigree. Congrats.
    A Taisho-5 5 Sen pattern:

imageimage
    And finally, a Showa-22 50 Sen. Not a pattern, but an unissued coin and thus very rare. (Upside-down image courtesy of Heritage.)

imageimage
    Well someone got a very nice start on a Japanese collection.
    Very nice start indeedimage
    Wow, Pruebas. Nicely done!
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, you got some of those! Too cool. Can I trade you a car for them? My husband can ride his bike after all... VERY NICE!!

Cathy

<< <i>Wow, Pruebas. Nicely done! >>

Thanks to Mr. Eureka who was sitting next to me egging me on. "It's only money!" he said. image

He got a nice Jacobs coin too.

There were two more Japanese patterns that I really wanted but missed.

BTW, I knew I would be out of my league on the half-crown patterns (50 Sen) and crown patterns (Yen) as well as the gold, so I concentrated my efforts on the minors.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    My status says the following:

You were outbid on this item

On all the items I'm bidding on! (even the impulsive ones)
    I got a couple of more from todays session, nothing spectacular, these are for my Geo. III Type Set.

1773 1/4d

1799 1/4d

1787 6d

JCM, I'm not much of a British expert, but I was watching the 1806 proof farthing in PF65BN. Don't you think it went cheap? I admit I forgot to view the coin. Perhaps there was something wrong with it?
    Tonight's win:

imageimage
    Also, if i'm not mistaken, that's a PCGS13 slab used until Nov 2004 with the old PNG sticker on the reverse.
    Nice coin, Roman.

Tonight I won the 1892 Ho 8R in NGC MS63PL. Paid too much, but I really liked the toned PL look in-hand. The online photo doesn't do it justice, so I won't post it here.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Roman, this one looks like a much better strike and overall pleasant coin than the 1809 NGC MS63 that you posted the other day, but I'm curious to see your images and to hear your comments once you have them in hand. Very nice.

Pruebas congrats, marvellous set of Japanese patterns. Stay away from MrEureka next time. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>Roman, this one looks like a much better strike and overall pleasant coin than the 1809 NGC MS63 that you posted the other day, but I'm curious to see your images and to hear your comments once you have them in hand. Very nice.

Pruebas congrats, marvellous set of Japanese patterns. Stay away from MrEureka next time. image >>

Thank you, Dimitri. I like it much better than the 1809 piece (which will be flipped shortly after I receive it). I'll post the images when I have the coins in-hand.

Almost forgot, I won this one, as well, for my War of Independence set:

imageimage
    Pruebas, I did think the 1806 proof farthings went pretty cheap. Unfortunately for them they are reasonably available and there are several really nice ones graded. There are two 67's and one 68 graded just at NGC, not sure what PCGS has graded. My pinion on these is the base grade is a 65, and no one pays anything extra unless it's above that. At that price I may have bid myself except I was interested in some of the earlier ones.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are two 67's and one 68 graded just at NGC >>

Those are most likely from the estate of James Watt (Morten & Eden; 13-14 November 2002) which were auctioned in the UK.

Incredible coins which were mostly stored in specially designed brass shells for over 200 years. Evan Gale used to (and may still) own many of the 1799/1805-6 PF and MS specimens from the Watt estate............all coins were essentially perfect. I think Mr. Eur may have been an original purchaser of many of these coins.
  • I'm not posting because I spent too damned much money to make me a happy camper on it.

One, just one, idiot out there set out to prove that I was a bigger idiot.

SOB
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy scrolling through these threads. There are some amazing coins listed. I only pursued one lot but came up short this time around.
    1595 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel taler

<< <i>I'm not posting because I spent too damned much money to make me a happy camper on it.

One, just one, idiot out there set out to prove that I was a bigger idiot. >>

Come on and post it. "It's only money!"

We're all just a bit crazy spending our hard-earned money on these shiny metal trinkets.