Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Supreme Scumbag

Mike Meyer, a 48-year-old resident of Granite City, Illinois, was robbed last month of more than 1,800 Superman comic books and collectibles worth approximately $4,000 to $5,000. Meyer, who receives Social Security for mental disability and supplements his income with part time work at McDonald's, was the victim of an unscrupulous former co-worker who created a ruse to distract the handicapped man while he absconded with the comics, action figures and other collectibles. Granite City police are presently investigating the robbery.

Writing for St. Louis' STLToday.com, Jennifer Mann tells a story that would make even the worst comic book villain seethe with rage. A man called Gary with whom Meyer used to work at another fast food restaurant ingratiated himself to Meyer during a recent encounter at a comic book store. Meyer invited Gary into his home to inspect the collection, and Gary specifically asked to see the "most precious" comics. The man returned the next night with a woman he identified as his girlfriend, asking if they could watch Superman movies with Meyer. While Meyer and the girlfriend watched films, Gary "disappeared for a while." Meyer later discovered the theft and informed the police, providing them with what little information he had about Gary, who remains at large.

Meyer, whose father died when he was 20 and who lost his mother just three years later, estimates that he owned "pretty much every issue of Superman from number 99 to the present." Also missing are nearly 100 Superman action figures, a collectible Superman radio, Superman television set and Superman Monopoly game. Mann also wrote that Meyer owns a a hand-sewn Superman costume, which he hangs with a brown trench coat, just like Clark Kent.

Meyer said of the astonishingly cruel incident, "A lot of that was sentimental, and he stole that from me. He invaded my privacy, and he took away my peace of mind."

Gary is described as being about 35-years-old with dark hair and a goatee, and driving a silver or grey car. Needless to say, anyone who discovers any Superman collections like this for sale, particularly in the St. Louis area, is advised to contact the police immediately.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/07/superman-collection-theft-disabled-fan/#ixzz1XNPR6SgY

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    unbelievable. They'll catch the SOB though
  • I won't even say, 'what is this world coming to," because we all know there are some real creeps out there

1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • I have no words image
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Any chance the guy on the right now has a goatee?

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no words image >>

I 'll say the same cause the words I have would get me kicked off of here.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

• << <i>Any chance the guy on the right now has a goatee?

image >>

I saw that guy on the right a few times maybe 5 years ago. He said he was king of sealed product from the late 70's and 80's. He also talked about a collection of 75 Mini wrappers for a bar or something. He was talking with others about it. Now I see where the wrappers came from. One of the times I saw him he looked like he was in a fight and had a huge black eye. He said he walked into a door or something. He looks like he has two black eyes on the mend in that photo.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw THAT Gary at the Cleveland National in 2009, he was with someone who appeared to be a woman. She looked like him, but with longer, greasier hair. Both wearing bright neon green hats from one of the dealers. I wanted to snap a pic of them SO BAD, but couldn't get the right opportunity.

Sad story there... I hope his stuff is eventually recovered.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    when I saw the thread title I thought it was a spin off thread of waverly but I was wrong. I hope this goatee guy gets a big fat taste of karma.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never complain about my taxes being raised to build more prisons for thieving punks such as this.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steves face looks like garys hand might be "stealing" a hand full.
  • That is very wrong.

Dave
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Over on the forums for comics from the company CGC that is huge for slabbing comics we are all joining together to make things right for this collector. We are starting to put together a huge amount of stuff to send to the guy who was robbed. With how huge the CGC comic forums are by the time we are done donating this person will probably end up with double what was stolen. Pretty screwed up story that is for sure.

-Brendan
  • That is great to hear that you guys are doing something nice to help him out. Just as many "good" people out there with kind hearts as scumbags who deceive and steal from people - only you hear about the bad one's more than the good guys 95% of the time.. I applaud your efforts as well as the others helping out, and I am sure he will as well.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Thought he was a supreme scumbag before... look how they caught him... what a POS!

I'm thinking... DBOTC

http://www.bnd.com/2011/09/17/1863583/truth-justice-and-the-american.html

• << <i>Thought he was a supreme scumbag before... look how they caught him... what a POS!

I'm thinking... DBOTC

http://www.bnd.com/2011/09/17/1863583/truth-justice-and-the-american.html >>

Wow, what a lowlife!
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he spends a few years in the slammy. People like this have no regard for the fellow man.

September 16, 2011: Superman Buglary Suspect Arrested by Granite City Police

by Neil Cole

An arrest has been made in the theft of a large collection of Superman memorabilia stolen from the residence of Man of Steel fan, Mike Meyer.

The Granite City, IL Police Department have issued the following press release:

The residential burglary was reported on August 31st, 2011 and involved a large collection of Superman memorabilia. This incident took place at 2510 West 23rd, Granite City, IL

Yesterday afternoon, September 15th, 2011 the Granite City Police responded to a Robbery, at which time it was learned a 76 year old male was robbed of Jewelry and money while in the 1800 block of Delmar, Granite City, IL.

The victim was going to hire a male subject to clean up a vacant business in this block, when the subject forced the male’s jewelry and money from him. During this incident the victim received some minor injuries. Based on his description, we learned the Madison Police Department was dealing with our suspect on an unrelated incident. Officers were able to link this subject to the robbery and he was transferred from Madison’s custody to our custody.

With the ongoing investigation of the Residential Burglary, it was believed this was the same subject responsible for stealing the Superman items in August. Investigators were able to link the suspect to this crime as well and recover all of the victim’s Superman memorabilia and return it to the owner.

Today, both cases were presented to the Madison County States Attorney at which time the suspect was charged with:

1 count Residential Burglary
    1 count Robbery
    1 Aggravated Battery (Senior Citizen)

Charged:
    Gerry Arville Armbruster, M/W 37 years old
    2214 Iowa street, Granite City, IL

According to KMOV.com, Armbruster is currently at the Granite City Police Department and will be transferred to the Madison County Jail later this evening. His bond for all charges has been set at $100,000.00.

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Glad they got the scum.
    Got all the stuff back too - that's great!!

I'll bet that pink shirt goes over well in jail too
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    from the article:

Since then, comic-book fan groups such as the Superfriends of Metropolis have engineered a massive international effort to replace Meyer's collection, scheduled to be delivered next week by a costumed Superman and friends. Action figures, comic books, merchandise and more have been mailed to organizer Keith Howard of Belleville, and some of the actors from "Superman" films have signed photographs for Meyer.

Now police have recovered Meyer's collection and returned it to him. Regardless, Howard said they will deliver the new items on schedule.

"There was never a stipulation that said, 'He can have this unless he gets his own stuff back,'" Howard said. "This was an act of giving ... from a community that wanted to restore (Meyer's) faith in humanity. It was about more than replacing his comics."

imageimageimageimageimage

that sorta stuff used to be possible around here, too. Guess the "dead" guy (and other assorted POS) kinda ruined that.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from the article:

Since then, comic-book fan groups such as the Superfriends of Metropolis have engineered a massive international effort to replace Meyer's collection, scheduled to be delivered next week by a costumed Superman and friends. Action figures, comic books, merchandise and more have been mailed to organizer Keith Howard of Belleville, and some of the actors from "Superman" films have signed photographs for Meyer.

Now police have recovered Meyer's collection and returned it to him. Regardless, Howard said they will deliver the new items on schedule.

"There was never a stipulation that said, 'He can have this unless he gets his own stuff back,'" Howard said. "This was an act of giving ... from a community that wanted to restore (Meyer's) faith in humanity. It was about more than replacing his comics."

imageimageimageimageimage

that sorta stuff used to be possible around here, too. Guess the "dead" guy (and other assorted POS) kinda ruined that. >>

+ 1,000,000
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • greats stuff!!!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great to hear that they caught him. Hope he likes the "Free Sex" in jail!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!!!

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Like Doug said...."I hope he meats Bubba"
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Special place in hell for scumbags like that.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    unreal what a scumbagimage
    6 years for the douche

Superman theft update
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Zep. Glad he got what he deserved.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Glad the scum went away and glad to see Mr. Meyer is happy with the return of most of his items.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • That's awesome!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope he gets life in prison--with Lex Luther as his cellmate!! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    May the showers be dark and the soap slippery.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Great news.......

• << <i>Great to hear that they caught him. Hope he likes the "Free Sex" in jail! >>

Free Sex!!!! I'm married, you got my attention.

I'm off to try to join him, do they give you an instructions manual? It's been a while.

Dave
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>do they give you an instructions manual? >>

yes, but all it says is "Now, drop this manual. Then bend over to pick it up."
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

• << <i>

<< <i>do they give you an instructions manual? >>

yes, but all it says is "Now, drop this manual. Then bend over to pick it up." >>

"Soda Pop Spit onto screen" imageimageimage

YeeHah image

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Very nice story. There were 2 paragraphs that I liked.

Donors from Paraguay to the Pacific Rim inundated Meyer with a sea of Superman items, from autographed pictures to classic comic books - even a Man of Steel lunch box. Meyer paid it forward, giving most duplicate items to a St. Louis children's hospital.

To Meyer, it's all a reminder of an icon who simply did the right thing.

"He has all these powers. He could just shape the world to his own liking, but instead he submits to authority and helps people," Meyer said. "If this man actually existed, there'd be no Gadhafi, no al-Qaida or bin Laden. There'd be no deficit or a lot of the bad stuff that's happening."