Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Please help me fight cancer ~ Austin LIVESTRONG Challenge

Fellow CU members,

Hope all is well and everyone had a great Labor Day.

This will be my third LSC and once again, riding the 90-mile route through the "Texas Hill Country" of West Austin. This is one of Lance's favorite local training rides for a reason: unforgiving swirling winds and almost 6,000 feet of climbing. To put it in simple terms for the non-cyclists, it's brutal.

As most of you know, this is a cause very close to my heart. I lost both of my Grandfathers to cancer and an estimated 28 MILLION continue to fight this deadly disease. With the uncertainty of our economy, more now than ever, non-profit foundations depend on generous individual donations to make a difference.

My 2011 fundraising goal is $3,000 and thanks to your generosity, we successfully raised $3,275 last year. As my previous supporters know, your participation does not end with a generous donation. I send updates before, during, and after the ride so you can be involved in this amazing experience without breaking a sweat (that's my job). For a sample, please feel free to view my photobucket from last year's ride:

http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/barrysms150ride/10ATXLSC/

Please consider donating at my personal webpage:

http://austin2011.livestrong.org/barryslsc

If you prefer to make a donation by check, please send me a PM and I'll forward the form.

I greatly appreciate your time and support.

Sincerely,

Barry / stown
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    Hey Barry I was glad to help last year and will do the same again this year!!

What's really scary is how it's already been a year. Time flies and I can't believe it. It feels like it was just a few months ago. I was just looking at your personalized thank you card the other day. Very cool event.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Thank you so much for the offer and you're not hijacking the thread, honest image

While I greatly appreciate your suggestion, it comes down to time. The ride is next month and by the time you collect the cards, send to auction, collect money, etc, it wil most likely be too late.

While I did a CU auction three years ago and it pretty much went without a hitch, it took a lot of time and energy that I currently don't have. It's a great idea and will most likely take you up on the offer next year, without the time restraints.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Since it has been an annual thing for me now....the next person to donate $25 to Barry's cancer fund drive can have their choice of these two autos....or donate $50 and take both home. Free shipping.

imageimage

Clear Skies,
    Mark

Please PM me and Barry after sending donation and refer to this posting.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I will issue another challenge as in the past with Barry's efforts.

I'll donate $100 and put another $100 in play, matching members donations up to $100.

It's currently 5:30 AM Eastern time. I'll give you guys until 5 PM Eastern today.

I won't have time to check on the progress until the deadline. Gotta work.

Cough it up, b!$%&es.
  • Options

<< <i>I will issue another challenge as in the past with Barry's efforts.

I'll donate $100 and put another $100 in play, matching members donations up to $100.

It's currently 5:30 AM Eastern time. I'll give you guys until 5 PM Eastern today.

I won't have time to check on the progress until the deadline. Gotta work.

Cough it up, b!$%&es. >>

I will extend this to 7 PM Eastern on Sunday.

Let's see what you boys have to offer.

20 people @ 5 bucks. Is that too much too ask?
  • Options
    Just donated, come in people we have an offer for 100% match up to $100.

Please!!!!!

Next person to donate $100, PM me and I'll send you a care package with some goodies valued at over that!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    If you read this try to donate something, everything counts. I just brought my wife to the ER as her leg is severely swollen may be a blood clot again like last Friday, not sure. This is the 4th ER visit if you can believe it in 12 days.

I donated while in line at Starbucks.

Live Strong...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for $25.

My beautiful wife underwent breast cancer surgery yesterday. She's faithful and strong and it was caught early, we expect a clean biopsy and pray more women will get mammograms as my wife Facebook's her experience.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Oh I'm sorry to hear, I will pray the results come back negative. PM me anytime.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    I'd like to donate a hundred.

Thanks Barry, you make a difference, and a better chance for hope, many thanks.
  • Options
    SidePocket, I'm sending all my good vibes your way, hoping the very best for your lady and you too. Stay well.
  • Options
    Nightcrawler I sent you a PM.

I will put this on the table for the next 3 donators. Donate $100, and I'll send you a care package of cards worth over $100. When I met Mike Tyson and got my picture taken with him, I was wearing one of my Live Strong T-shirts.

Mike
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Well that does it.

200 bucks from me is headed to Barry's Livestrong account.

Thanks for helping out everyone.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • Options
    I'll be sending nightcrawler some goodies. I know I'll include a Thome UD RC PSA 10. Send me another PM with some of your collecting interests.

I'll extend my offer through the rest of the night. Donate $100 and I'll send you $100 plus in cards. Just PM me your info and any interests. 2 more spots open...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Holy crud.

The generosity of fellow CU members never ceases to amaze me.

I cannot thank y'all enough and please send good vibes to SidePocket's wife. Thought and prayers, my friend, and please keep us updated.

Barry
  • Options
    Good luck on the ride and your fundraising efforts. I would like to support you again.

Best,
    Min
  • Options

You. Guys. Freaking. Rock.

• Options
    And when it looked like you heard the call
    I didn't say a lot
    Although I could have said
    Much more had I dared

And if I had followed
    A little ways
    Because were friends
    You would have made me
    Welcome out there

• Options

I'm really sorry about not mentioning miconelegacy's(Mike's) wife. We all hope the very best for her and you too Mike. Stay strong, and live well guy.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

One last bump from me.

Didn't help last month? How about trying to this month?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Thanks in part to the overwhelming generosity of this board, we passed my fundraising goal of $3,000.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks to each and every one of you!