Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

76 and Still Pitching- Dick Fitzgerald*UPDATE VIDEO STORY*

I'm currently working on a TV news/sports story on Dick Fitzgerald who plays in the Puget Sound Senior Baseball League. Just a fantastic guy who's still throws well for 76. I'm also including his 69

year old catcher who has caught Fitz for 30 years. He was nice enough to let me borrow these photos for the story of him back as a youngster. He never made it to the show but played and was

roommates with a young 18 year old named Brooks Robinson in 1955 with the York White Roses of the Piedmont League, Brooks' first year as a pro. Dick also played one year for the Seattle Rainiers

in 1960. Just a inspiring person that shows little signs of slowing down. I'm now in the edit process of the story and will post the story when it's finished. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks. Doug

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Doug ... very interesting. How old was Mr. Fitzgerald in that color photo?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug- I believe it was last year or the year before at Safeco field. It was a charity tourny there which I think they are doing again this year. The other Doug
  • Options
    WOW! He is in AMAZING shape!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    He also says he's never had a arm injury in all the years of pitching. Also, a article that was in the photo folder says, at 62 he was still throwing 80 mph.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're doing an article, it's the YORK White Roses...

Good Stuff

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>If you're doing an article, it's the YORK White Roses...

Good Stuff

IMF >>

Yes, you're correct, I'll fix. Thanks
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Dang! A lefty, to boot!

I play in the San Francisco Area MSBL, and let me tell you: my team could use him!

He wouldn't even have to change that SF hat!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool story! Although I think our own WinPitcher (Steve) has him beat by 4 or 5 years image.
  • Options
    http://www.philadelphiaathletics.org/event/2008fitzgerald.htm

Here is an article on Fitzgerald from 2008. He still throws well from what they said in the article.
  • Options
    It took some time but the story of pitcher Dick Fitzgerald and his catcher of 30 years Ken Combs aired tonight. It was such a pleasure meeting and working with these guys, quite the inspiration. I

shot edited and helped in the writing of this story. The Silver Foxes won their league Championship a few weeks back to cap off a great year. I got to use a few things from my collection when the

pictures were shown, which included a replica Portland Beavers flannel jersey, old gloves and a cool vintage catchers mask. Hope you guys like it. Doug

Iron Men of Baseball- The special relationship between Pitcher and Catcher
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It took some time but the story of pitcher Dick Fitzgerald and his catcher of 30 years Ken Combs aired tonight. It was such a pleasure meeting and working with these guys, quite the inspiration. I

shot edited and helped in the writing of this story. The Silver Foxes won their league Championship a few weeks back to cap off a great year. I got to use a few things from my collection when the

pictures were shown, which included a replica Portland Beavers flannel jersey, old gloves and a cool vintage catchers mask. Hope you guys like it. Doug

Iron Men of Baseball- The special relationship between Pitcher and Catcher >>

Excellent story!! You have to like the plug you got from the reporters at the end of that segment!!

One question....was he really popping the glove like that piece makes it sound or was that enhanced? I was trying to see how fast he was throwing but the glove pop made it sound like that ball was really humming.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Excellent story...I have been on this website for sometime now, and I have seen this board flourish with knowledgeable sports enthusiasts. It used to be just a buy/sell/trade site with very little PSA slabbed material happening. Now we have all sorts of individuals whom really make this a great site. Thank you for sharing your work.

Gregg
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this story. Excellent journalism. Maybe I'll go out in this beautiful weather & warm up this 54 yr old arm.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a great story.

The best photojournalist in the country! That is some pretty nice on air praise.

Great work

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options

One question....was he really popping the glove like that piece makes it sound or was that enhanced? I was trying to see how fast he was throwing but the glove pop made it sound like that ball was really humming. >>

Nothing at all was enhanced in the story. I put a wireless microphone on the home umpire for the two games I shot on this story. Dick (the pitcher) was gracious enough to allow me to mic him for one inning, that's why you hear him grunting so well. It is rare to be able to put a microphone on a pitcher when they are throwing because of all the movement, but Dick let me do it. A few shots in warmups were used which had a mic placed on the ground near Ken the catcher. The first location was a small enclosed stadium with not many people attending, which maybe made the sound echo a little. The botttom line is....... the guy can throw, he said he was throwing 80mph 10 years ago and I believe him. Thanks for the nice comment guys, I do appreciate it. Doug
  • Options
    DP ... AWESOME job my friend. That was a fun piece to watch. Can't believe they put a 4 minute piece like that on the news! Kudos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>DP ... AWESOME job my friend. That was a fun piece to watch. Can't believe they put a 4 minute piece like that on the news! Kudos! >>

It was 3:16 Doug but you are right, it is rare. We usually get yelled at if our story is longer than 1:40 but our 4pm newscast sometimes allows longer stories. I appreciate them running it.