Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Red Rooster Gretzky long hair

Hello, I have this uncut sheet from the 81-82 Red Rooster hockey card collection. It has on it the 4 Wayne Gretzky long hair cards (each one has a different saying on it)... Does anyone know the value of this? Should I get this graded?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    For you:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks! I wasn't sure how to do that. image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    That is quite a valuable piece. PSA no longer grades these, not sure if fakes exist. But the other grading companies do. If you are planning on selling yes, have them graded to prove authenticity.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    Cool pictures Smittys, I have the short hair one from 81-82. I'll post it up here along with any others I have.

cefy1: Thanks for the information! It's so hard to find anything on these, I looked around my city but no one knew what to make of them. Are some grading companies better than others? Too bad PSA won't do them anymore because it seems most people on here use them.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did somebody say "Red Rooster"?

Tabe
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew that was coming image

You know Terry Taylor must be so embaressed about this gimick!

I am not a hockey collector but anything with 4 Wayne Gretzky cards from the early 80's has to be worth some nice bread to the right collector! Very cool piece!

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Is that Carlos Santana or really Grant Fuhr??
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that Carlos Santana or really Grant Fuhr?? >>

Looks more like Kotter to me
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Okay so here is my whole collection of Red Rooster cards... Guess no 1983-1984 year...

1981-1982

1982-1983

1984-1985

1985-1986

1986-1987
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny that an ugly picture of Gretzky could be so desirable. Not that any of those portrait style photos are flattering to any of those young Oilers...

Glen Anderson was spending a lot of time at the tanning booth in the West Edmonton Mall, methinks. Either that or Dave "Cement head" Semenko was a snapshot from the morgue. "You and me better go for a canoe ride."
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is alot of HOFers on those sheets.
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    @ Everbound - Very nice collection.

Does PSA grade these cards?
  • Options
    I should have said, why doesn't PSA grade these anymore?
  • Options
    Thanks Bear48!
    I am not sure why they won't grade these, I just learned that from cefy1.
    Do you or anyone know a grading company that would?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    As a former Gretzky collector I will say those Long Haired Red Roosters are tough and
    at least 100 to 200 a piece. I don't know why PSA doesn't grade them any more but
    you can rest assure that you will not get an answer so don't worry about it. To me they
    look better in a CS1 then an oversized PSA holder with that beautiful mylar sleeve.
    Nice collection..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Thanks for the info jackstraw! Would you be able to recommend a grading company to use?
  • Options
    I bought this one a while back.

• Options
    if you're selling your sheet of Gretzky red rooster long hair please let me know. I'm an eager buyer.
    thanks
    Ross
    e-mail at: rustyisin@hotmail.com
  • Options
    The "Yanni" variation.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    So why in the world doesn't PSA grade these anymore? Were they reprinted or something?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info jackstraw! Would you be able to recommend a grading company to use? >>

I don't think seperating them is a great idea but if you decide to do it I would
    give PSA a call and ask them if or why they do or don't grade them. Once you
    get no where with them I would call SGC and see if they grade them..
    Good luck in what ever you decide..
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Thanks again jackstraw, I won't be separating them that's for sure. I'll post if I find a company to grade them just in case anyone else has the same problem.
  • Options
    I spent some time communicating with Veronica at PSA and she tells me that they will grade these cards, they have without interruption since 2007. I brought up this forum thread and also mentioned that the cards have been pulled out of some collector sets (Gretzky's but still remain in Messier's). I made a point to strategically ask my questions so that with each email she would have to ask further question to somebody else. I am confident they still grade them and will be sending some in shortly. If I do run into problems I will post them here.
    o-pee-chee hockey
  • Options
    Harpooned the white whale today. Most I ever paid for a PSA 3!

1981 Gretzky RR long hair
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Your link did not work. Here is your card.

Edited to add: I see you changed it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one awesome looking 3. Congrats!
  • Options
    I would be interested as well. If you would turn on your pm or send me a pm.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    PSA will not grade the uncut sheets because they do not have a holder large enough to encapsulate them. Seems I will have look elsewhere.
  • Options
    For something in the 4 fig range and up, it's a shame the grading companies with integrity can't do a registry service where you get a COA to go with your piece and, in turn, the company acts as the recordkeeper and registrar and run a service similar to a stock transfer agent. When you want to sell the item, you send the COA and the item to the grading co. "transfer agent" via traceable and insured mail with your signature on the back of the COA with a "medallion signature guarantee" (if banks will do this as there is insurance behind the medallion signature guarantee stamp) on the back of the COA and note the info for the new owner. The COA gets cancelled and a new one is issued in the new owner's name and sent with the item to the new owner. If you lose the COA, even if in the mail, to get it replaced, you have to pay a surety bond equal to approx. 2% of the appraised market value of the item (the 2% is an insurance premium. An insurance company like Chubb could underwrite the insurance or the grading co's could take the risk and underwrite it themselves and take the premiums as revenues).

To sell on eBay or an auction house, simply scan the COA as well. Maybe $50 - $100 fee for the registration and each subsequent transfer. Joe O, free grading for me for life if you do this and make money? Or perhaps $200k a year plus bonus and I'll come out and get it going for you. This could also assist with using a piece of memorabilia as collateral on a loan and could cut down on the ability to sell a stolen or counterfeit piece.

"PSA/COA - Registered" anyone?
  • Options
    "I brought up this forum thread and also mentioned that the cards have been pulled out of some collector sets (Gretzky's but still remain in Messier's)."

It's silly to assert that either Gretzky or Messier have a collection of these.
    Firstly, I've been around the hobby in Edmonton, Toronto, ebay, etc. for 25+ years. I have seen a total
    of two copies in person and a total of ZERO intact panels for sale on e-bay.
    Second, and most importantly, when Gretzky and Messier left Edmonton a 1979 o-pee-chee Gretzky rookie was worth about
    $50 and these intact panels were worth $5 - do you honestly believe Gretzky or Messier moved a pallet of them
    with them to LA and New York?
    From what I've seen and know these panels were likely destroyed at the source way back in 1981 at Gretzky's request. It's pretty obvious
    that very few survived. We might very well be looking at a Honus Wagner T206 stuation.
    This is my 2 cents
  • Options
    He was talking about the Gretzky and Messier PSA sets not them personally as collectors.
    He said that they (PSA) pulled it from the Gretzky set but it remained in the Messier (PSA) set.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I suppose it's a matter of choice. If I had 10K I'd rather spend it on the sheet than:

Gretzky McFarlane toys

or similar in price to:

1979 Gretzky Sportscaster

the sheet is perhaps once in a lifetime item. The others are pretty common by way of comparison.
    Again, just my 2 cents