Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for Wrestling Collectors

I'm looking for a Wrestling Rookie card. Can anyone tell me the first card of "The Greatest Intercontinental Champion of all Time" The Honky Tonk Man.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go.

Honky Tonk Man
  • Options
  • Options
    His first card was from the 1987 Topps set?

I figured he would have had an older one.

Thanks Dpeck

Dave
  • Options
    I just checked Wiki and he became a pro in 1978. He really never had huge success until the WWF where he debuted in Sept of 1986. There were a few sets from the early and mid 80's where he could have been seen but was not a big enough star yet.

The 1987 Topps would be his first true trading card and the other two I posted were scrach off game tickets that featured the stars of the WWF. The yellow Circle K can be easily found on EBAY but the Stuart from Canada is fairly rare. It is made out of a soft paper so it really does not have the feel of a card. The Circle K one would be a great item if you were wanting a signature.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Dave ... if Dpeck says that's his rookie card ... then THAT"S his rookie card! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Honky over Steamboat in June '87 is still the biggest upset of all time.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is the earliest Honky Tonk Man that I have ever seen.........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget about 1987 opc. Its prob a little more rare than the topps version.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough this is the only set of wrestling cards I own! I actually had two of these sets and recently sold one of them on ebay. The second set may be a near-set, I'll have to check. If you want/need the card, let me know and I'll send it to you. It's not a PSA 10, but it should be NM at least.

DPeck, are there any other cards from this set worth anything? Here are the scans from my past auction:

• Options
    I would say a smart project for someone would be to try and get a PSA 10 Bret Hart. This could sell for a decent amount to the right buyer.

This set is really not very valuable and is really easy to find sealed boxes. I have some of these cards laying around but have never gotten really into them as most have very little potential.

There are some cool pics and moments from wrestling in them but these are not a big winner in my opinion.

If someone wants a inexpensive entry into wrestling cards I think the 85 Topps is a better buy as you can find many NM-MT average grade sets on EBAY at very reasonable prices. Another cool set that is not very costly is the 85 OPC Series 2 that features the Macho Man Randy Savage Rookie and is a real steal I think under $40 for the set. The risk is a very off centered set including the key card so make sure you are viewing pictures of the exact cards you are recieving.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that set sold for $12. It was $12 I didn't have the day before, so I was happy with it. Thanks for the info!

Yankees001, let me know if you want that card.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    How scarce are the 1987 OPC WWF cards compared to the Topps issue?? Worth grading???
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I would like to know that too. The topps seems over produced like everything else topps did in 1987. I think the brett hart opc could be a good card. I have one at psa now that I'm expecting around an 8 on.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    for Baseball/Hockey/Star Wars/Wrestling its O-Pee-Chee. ALWAYS* O-Pee-Chee!

*exception: 1989 Hockey, where Topps > O-Pee-Chee

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    There doesn't seem to be a big difference in selling prices of the 85 or 87.

Quite frankly that really surprises me because it is so much easier to find the Topps version then OPC on EBAY. I personally would think the OPC would sell at a premium and maybe one day they will.

The only card I think that is worth grading from the set is the Bret Hart. A few have graded some of the other cards and they sit on EBAY and never sell. If you are looking to find a new set and have fun with it almost any set can be graded but if your goal is to try and turn a profit this is not the one to fool with in my opinion.