Home Sports Talk
Options

RIP Lee Roy Selmon

You'll be missed big guy.

A blow to sports fans, and Tampa natives also. Lee Roy was a great presense in the community.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    Reports are now coming in that he is in fact ALIVE and in critical condition.

• Options

<< <i>Reports are now coming in that he is in fact ALIVE and in critical condition. >>

Yeah I was going to say....

And yes, the man is a Tampa icon on and off the field.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's sad but the facts are playing pro football, particularly with a long career, and especially the big guys on the line, is not condusive to a long, healthy life span - that's just the way it is. These lineman are true warriors.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    What A Force!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the word is now that Mr. Selmon has passed away.

There will never be another like Lee Roy.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad, sad, sad. Shoot! Far too young.

RIP Lee Roy.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    RIP
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<It's sad but the facts are playing pro football, particularly with a long career, and especially the big guys on the line, is not condusive to a long, healthy life span - that's just the way it is. These lineman are true warriors.>>>

I'm curious what the sport of football will look like 20-25 years from now. The evidence we currently have suggests that repeated blows to the head, even from a very early age, can lead to CTE. When I was a kid of age to play Pop Warner football, my father forbid me from playing. I could play any other sport I wanted, but not football. I didn't understand it at the time, but now I'm glad he did that. I'm not a parent myself yet, but if I have a son, there is zero chance of him playing football. Anyone that thinks that the effects of football are limited to pro and college football players are being extremely naive.

I can see a scenario where the majority of parents make similar choices for their kids and/or high schools start dropping the sport altogether.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I entered high school I told my parents I wanted to play football (I had never played organized football before). I was 6'6" tall and 170 pounds of nothing. My parents said "no, play basketball instead". So I did.

Looking back on it, I am glad my parents said no.

My kids did not play football either.

It is really sad to see ex football players (high school, college and pro) in their 40's and 50's who are crippled and who look like they are on a fast track to an early death.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I can see a scenario where the majority of parents make similar choices for their kids and/or high schools start dropping the sport altogether. >>

Which is unfortunate because of all the sports I played growing up and in high school, football was by far the most fun I have ever had in any sort of team sport. I'm not disagreeing though, because I also feel that a lot of the guys we see in the NFL today will be carrying each and every one of those hits with them for the rest of their lives.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    "Which is unfortunate because of all the sports I played growing up and in high school, football was by far the most fun I have ever had in any sort of team sport."

It'll be a tough and unpopular decision for that very reason, but like anything else, the best choices are usually the hardest ones to make.