Home Precious Metals
Options

***SEPTEMBER 2011 Gold and Silver Stocks/Options/Futures trading thread***

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a continuation of the monthly thread for discussing relatively short or near term movements in precious metals and related securities.

August was a wild month. What will Sept have in store?

Comments

• Options
    After a sideways Wednesday, the charts are primed with energy and ready for the next move. We are near the apex of a triangle consolidation that is ready to resolve in one direction or the other. My money is on up, we'll have to wait and see...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a little sideways motion for a month to build a new base. We still have the most active months ahead of us. So if we just experienced the summer doldrums what will Fall and Winter look like? image
  • Options
    So the big surge was delayed until Thursday night and today, and it appears that gold is the move again. We have a new record weekly close. According to Nichol's theories on cycles and timing, we're looking at pretty much a full month of mega-bullish upside, taking gold to $2400+.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Wow! PC going on record on a $2,400 call on Au for September 2011!image

imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I want Gold and Silver to go higher, but for some reason I think the market will shock us.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! PC going on record on a $2,400 call on Au for September 2011! >>

It seems incredible, but if we are indeed in a runaway phase then it's possible and likely, althogh it sounds unfathomable at the moment. But with O's "big plan" announcement and the state of the world right now. And think about it. Mr O's plan has to be HUGE. You can't hype up a plan and wait a few weeks to disclose something that isn't mind-blowing. TARP 3, QE 10, whatever, it's going to be huge, and it should be good for gold. One also has to wonder why the US Mint pulled all of their gold offerings off the market. A typical re-pricing, or do they know something we don't?
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow! PC going on record on a $2,400 call on Au for September 2011! >>

It seems incredible, but if we are indeed in a runaway phase then it's possible and likely, althogh it sounds unfathomable at the moment. But with O's "big plan" announcement and the state of the world right now. And think about it. Mr O's plan has to be HUGE. You can't hype up a plan and wait a few weeks to disclose something that isn't mind-blowing. TARP 3, QE 10, whatever, it's going to be huge, and it should be good for gold. One also has to wonder why the US Mint pulled all of their gold offerings off the market. A typical re-pricing, or do they know something we don't? >>

I hope you know I was just funningimage Seems like just a short while ago Money LA's $1,300oz call took forEVER to reachimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Trading is open tonight and support is at 1846.6, 1867, and resistance at 1907.1, 1927.5, and 1988.
  • Options
    Gold keeps moving tonight, setting new highs. Near term target is around 1980. Support at 1883.7, 1896.1, 1915.1, and resistance at 1927.5, 1958.9
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gapping to new highs in thin overnight trading on a Holiday weekend is the modis operandi of the bull manipulators.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gapping to new highs in thin overnight trading on a Holiday weekend is the modis operandi of the bull manipulators. >>

Especially on declining volume. Note GLD put in 7 straight days of lowering volume during this $1702-$1900+ move. Today was the first up volume GLD day in almost
    2 weeks. But price fell. Miners whipsawed today in as many 3 different directions. I'm dizzy just thinking about it. Regardless, miners are looking a bit on the bearish side right now
    even with GDX and Newmont setting all time highs today.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Yes, but you can't ignore the HUI breakout over 600. Looks decisive this time, at least so far... Does have a small gap to fill, but otherwise looking pretty good.

Gold getting clobbered again tonight, but I'm not ready to call this bearish. So far the retracement is healthy for the pattern. We'll have to see. I'm guessing O's big plan on Thursday will bring some new life, and the pattern would matche the one from 8-22. A new high on a day with a red candle, followed by another red candle, then a distinct low coming in on a green candle marking a short-term bottom. Although we do have to be alert that we aren't seeing a double top.
  • Options
    So far on last night's dips GDX is down less than gold, which is a positive sign. But it will retest that 600 line this morning around the open. A GDX gap at around 63.4 is the target.
    GDXJ has not come close to making new highs on this run so that also lends a little bid of doubt as to whether miners are finally out of the woods. The producing seniors and large
    intermediates have lead the most recent charge. GDXJ has already filled it's most recent gap. But there is a deeper one down at 36.1 that it might be considering. Both of these
    gaps are within easy reach this morning.

It would appear gold is tracing out a corrective C leg now. Question remains if makes higher low or a lower low ($1702 previous low). The higher low theory probably fits better.
    The huge gap at $1665-$1680 still remains. Gold's July-September uptrend line holds to around $1780.

roadrunner
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr O's plan has to be HUGE. You can't hype up a plan and wait a few weeks to disclose something that isn't mind-blowing. TARP 3, QE 10, whatever, it's going to be huge, and it should be good for gold. One also has to wonder why the US Mint pulled all of their gold offerings off the market. A typical re-pricing, or do they know something we don't?

It may not be huge in terms of dollars, but I agree that the implications will probably be wide-reaching. Nothing we can do except wait.

As for the Mint, I'd like to see them react to this drop with a nice decrease in pricing. What are the odds?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It is very possible that miners will outperform the metals going forward.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GDXJ is currently "the" sleeper. When it awakes, money will be made.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    You guys are driving me crazy. I've been dragging my feet on GDXJ all this time. I'm afeared of paper, but.......................image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>It is very possible that miners will outperform the metals going forward. >>

Sure starting to look that way. Miners had an up day while gold was down 3%. How often has that happened it recent memory?

GDX filled a lower gap today but GDXJ did not bother with that deeper one at 36.1 before moving higher. It only got down to the upper 36's.
    Note that GDX and GDXJ moved up during the day to fill those large opening gaps. Very impressive. But still not home free. They rode the
    tails of the stock market today which helped immensely. Miners ruled the metals today. Something Cohodk thinks might happen more often.

If one doesn't like the added risk of the junior non-producers (ie GDXJ). There is always NUGT which is a 2X bullish GDX ETF. The double leverage makes up
    for some of the sluggishness often seen in the larger miners. NUGT will no doubt compete well with GDXJ. Just different ways of applying the leverage.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Gold's had a decent recovery off of yesterdays' lows, but there are some near term downside targets at around $1760. I think it's clear we're in a consolidation pattern at the moment; although I'm not going to rule out any sudden moves as a result of O's big plan announcement, which I feel can only be bullish for gold.
  • Options
    Just wondering what the board thought of this chart. I think the downtrend off the 2009 high has been broken after establishing what appears to be a pretty good base. I'll let you know what it is after some discussion, as I believe objective reasoning can oftentimes be overruled by prejudiced thought. I know it can sometimes influence my thinking.

• Options
    Looks somewhat similar to the USDX chart. I'd like to see a little more follow through on that recent break above the downtrend to say it's in recovery. Even then
    it would probably still have to retreat and back test that break out. I'd be considering a b/o but would not yet be convinced. If I knew what the fundamentals were behind
    the chart I'd probably let that sway my judgement on the break. If it were a chart closely related to the dollar, I'd possibly pick the down direction because of those fundys.

The movement upwards in 2011 still looks choppy rather than impulsive indicating it's still in a corrective phase. It's really been in a diamond corrective pattern for the
    past 7 yrs and is just now coming out of it. Often times they fake in the opposite direction that they want to move to. If one ignores that 2009 spike, the 9 yr downtrend
    would be broken if a level of 3.4 were reached. It still has a ways to go to get there.

roadrunner
  • Options
    It's definitely related to the USD, and there has been quite a gap up tonight which looks bullish short term. Otherwise it looks like a rather lengthy triangle consolidation pattern the probably has a ways to go before it it played out.

As far as gold goes, it looks like there is some more downside in store for it. I'm looking to get in around $1750-1770, but I'm not that confident we'll see it dip that far.
  • Options
    The chart I posted is indeed dollar related. Its the US dollar-Polish Zloty cross. Aside from the obvious, this chart is interesting to me as Poland has been one of the strongest economies in the world over the last decade, 2nd only to China. Its geographic area situated between Germany and Russia and cheap labor from other ex-Eastern Bloc countries enabled Poland to excel. It has a population greater than Canada and GDP greater that of Switzerland and Norway combined (3 currencies that are included in the competing dollar basket).

I think there is a possibility that the dollar could be breaking out bigtime against this rather important emerging(ed) economy/currency. Possibility exists for a massive inverse head and shoulders pattern. If indeed a breakout then the target would easily be 10 years highs. Interesting that as money flowed from the Euro into the Swiss Franc, virtually nothing went to the Polish zloty. Why didnt money flow to one of the fastest growing economies on the planet? We will need to closely watch money flows into other emerging markets--Brazil, Russia, India, Turkey, very closely over the coming months. It may tell a lot about future global growth rates and expectations for inflation and the value of the dollar and PMs.

The dollar is currently testing 6 year highs agains the Turkish Lira and Indian Rupee chart is similar to the Zloty so it certainly looks as though money is leaving emerging economies.

• Options
    A few weeks ago I mentioned that the rally in silver was merely a 62% retracement of the May decline and that momos had not confirmed the move. Now after nearly 3 weeks of sideways consolidation, silver is trading under $41 and may be breaking the 3 month uptrend today. The 50dma is nearby as well as price support as identified by the May reaction (dead-cat) bounces. Notice also the declining volume since July and that down days have much larger volume than up days.

Gold is currently on the 20dma, a level it has not closed below since June.

• Options
    ". . . being right or wrong about your investment decisions in the years just ahead will be insignificant if the currencies underpinning those investments shrivel to just a fraction of their current values."

A very sobering thought from David Galland

• Options

And their still blaming everything on Nixon, Poor guy.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Former VP Cheney, who fashions himself a fiscal conservative, let the mask drop when, in 2002, he stated that “Reagan proved deficits don’t matter.”

Those words were echoed just a few weeks ago, when both former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan and Obama economic advisor Larry Summers, in separate interviews, said almost the same, paraphrased as, “There is no chance of the US defaulting on its bonds, not when our government can borrow dollars and print new dollars to meet any future obligations.”

Of course, Greenspan and Summers were referring to an overt default – of just not paying – and not to a covert default engineered by inflation.

This has been the conventional wisdom. The fact that they continue to mouth the same old promises about fiscal responsibility while creating more than $4 Trillion in new debt in 2 1/2 years, while asking, no - demanding another $ 1/2 Trillion for more political campaign spending "work projects" leaves me cold.

If the dollar is going to get stronger, it's only because most other major currencies are going into the crapper faster. These money flows that you speak of are the same thing that we've been conditioned to believe are real. Greenspan and Summers still believe that fiat is real and that their stash of fiat is the end game.

Their goal is to make you believe in a fabrication so that you continue to support their scheme. You can play that game and hope not to get burned, or you can acknowledge that you are going to get burned anyway and go down swinging.

Your charts simply show what you would normally expect when several currencies are in the final throes of capitulation. The dollar might make it through Phase One, but so will gold. Silver will do what it always does - it will function as a highly excitable, highly speculative indicator and ultimately as a form of money.

That's my opinion until I see some significant change in how the moneymen work their system. They aren't going to change.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Former VP Cheney, who fashions himself a fiscal conservative, let the mask drop when, in 2002, he stated that “Reagan proved deficits don’t matter.” >>

Regan did prove that deficits don't matter - to the politicians that create them. Unfortunately they do matter very much to the hard working taxpayer who sees the value of everything he has, including his savings and takehome pay, be driven into the ground while the cost for new things continues upward.

• Options
    Deficits didn't matter to Reagan because he had the world's reserve currency near all-time highs, and was able to export the US inflation overseas using cheap foreign labor/goods in
    exchange. That model worked for almost 20 yrs after Reagan left office. Unfortunately, it's now totally dead. The world finally caught on. 25-30 yrs of deficits not mattering, now matter a lot.

Some good gap filling by GDXJ just under 36 the past couple of days. It will probably go a bit lower into Thursday as the standard options expiration "whacking" occurs before Friday.
    TBond auction week was shifted a day this week (Mon-Wed on 3/10/30 yr TBonds). I attribute some of the PM weakness to that. Gold and silver still coiling....a move is coming.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Silver now down below the 50dma.

Gold has crashed thru the 20dma and is now threatening to break the uptrend from July.

I hope the breakouts in $HUI and GDX were not bull traps. The $XAU which I believe has more credibility did not push to new highs.

• Options
    Sure appears that second leg down is occuring. I've been holding off waiting. Sure hope that pays off. The next run up will be poetry in motion image
  • Options
    I also have been waiting for this dip, I think we are close to the bottom now. I plan to board 1750-1760's.
  • Options
    I'm thinking 60-40 odds that dip will continue in very short term. All of my decisions are based on odds of direction.

• Options
    I'm looking more in the $1600 range and $30 for silver
  • Options
    Lehman-like failure unfolding in Europe

Only this time they aren't letting the "Lehmans" go down.

roadrunner
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I also have been waiting for this dip, I think we are close to the bottom now. I plan to board 1750-1760's.

Looks like your train is about to pull into the station...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave

The dollar is is right up against the 200dma on the daily charts. A fall below it puts it right back into a gravity situation. Down. Watching with interest. MJ

dollar chart at the 200
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Quad's blog spot

Excellent up to date gold charts for Elliot Wave/TA enthusiasts. The last 2 charts on today's update gives a detailed window. Gold appears to be marking an ABCDE
    consolidation triangle with $1702 as the probable low already in. The previous 2 wave was a sharp pull back, hence the call for this 4th wave to be a sideways move.
    This is only Quad's best guess on what the action presents. It's not a price prediction as he clearly states. This is some of the best detailed charting on the web.

roadrunner
  • Options
    RR

I turn to you on the Wave reporting. The only waves I was ever good at were of the tasty variety in Hawaii in a previous life time. I should have accepted that volleyball scholarship at U of H back in the day. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Missed my entry last night by a few dollars, gold has rebounded pretty sharply but I don' think it's anything other than a bounce. There is support at $1754 and I still expect to get in around there, I'm not sure we're out of the woods. We still have a low predicted for Sep 22 but I don't know how that will figure into this pattern yet. A serious breach of $1750 would mean $1700 is in play.
  • Options
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...........I missed that $50 bounce by a few ducats. Shame on me. I did catch RIMM for a nice bounce on a DT but the missed gold trade stinks. Shame on me. MJ
  • Options
    Picked up quantities of GDXJ and NUGT on last 2 days of dips. They rebounded so nicely along with +$50 in gold that I decided to unload them all. Volumes all around could
    be stronger so I'm not convinced yet of a new bullish move. I'm beginning to like this "Ted" NUGT thing.

Some JPM silver manipulators aired out in today's dirty laundry. A wrist slap is in order! image

King World news update on silver manipulation case

With gold OE only 7 trading days away (9/27) we might still get some more downward influences to gold. Fed meeting next Tues/Wed as well as TBond auctions (9/27-9/29) could all exert negative influences. Also toss in the usual end of quarter and end of month bashing that is often seen. While September is usually not the bashing month, the normal cycle has been pushed up several weeks to a month. So this end of Sept is more like an end of August. Sinclair site has noted that a corrective trend usually lasts from a minimum of 18 to a typical max of 34 days. We're now at day 19. TPTB in US and EUland are still working out the bugs in their new currency deal....and pushing back on gold seems to be part of that.

On the charting side it's a mixed bag for gold, but overall more items on the bearish side imo.

Bearish:
    Gold (and Ag) rebounded to touch the 10 ema today but closed on the 3 ema.
    3-10-20 ema/dma ribbon is inverted in bearish orientation
    Trix 9/9 and 6/9, macd, stoch still headed sharply down with momentum
    ROC 12 no real turn yet
    Aroon10 still on bearish X-over. Usually the + line hits zero before the turn
    ADX still on downtrend
    W%R has briefly touched the -80 line. More often than not the -80 line gets tagged twice, even if a higher low occurs.
    *Parallel down channel still points to the $1650-1680 area. Today's high of $1822 touched the upper channel line for the 3rd time. Note the lower channel line only has one touch so far on 6 Sept at $1790. If that line is extended back it also runs near the $1912 high back around 22 August. It also runs through the sharp breakout/swing point on Sept 1st.

Bullish:
    QuadG's ABCDE correction chart on his blog suggests $1702 should remain the low. $1762 early today could have been the next higher low.
    Gold bounced above it's July-Sept uptrend line after piercing it both yesterday and again today (silver is still below its line and backtested it today - bearish)
    RSI and CCI have turned up as of today and showed a bounce
    BB20's and Slope20 both have flattened out...ready for a direction/trend change
    MFI, Accumulation/Distribution turned upwards again
    Volume today showing a slight increase and large enough to have begun a new trend. But not a bold volume change by any means.
    *If channel described in the bearish case is instead a contracting wedge, then the necessary two touches on upper and lower lines are satisfied. The lower wedge line doesn't seem to backtrack to any key transistion pts.

GDX and GDXJ came back strongly in the afternoon today after a strong morning bounce. GDX closed above the 10 ema which is surprising after yesterday's deep dip during the peak of OE bashing. One more positive day and the 3-10-20 ribbon will be back in bullish alignment. Gold miners continue to rule over the metal with a >2X gain vs GLD today. Silver miners didn't manage the same move as Silver which is a bearish talking point. GPL had a strong day but the other silvers seemed lackluster with 3 of them posting losses (CDE, HL, and SSRI).

roadrunner
  • Options
    Was looking for $1800 to hold up on this push down but since it didn't I think a revisit to 1750-1760 is in the works... still looking to get in there.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave

The dollar is is right up against the 200dma on the daily charts. A fall below it puts it right back into a gravity situation. Down. Watching with interest. MJ

dollar chart at the 200 >>

Im really not concerned about that at all. The dollar ripped up thru the 200dma and got overbought. Overbought is a sign of strength. The only way the dollar index can go lower is if the Euro goes higher. That aint gonna happen. The ECB will be cutting rates to near nothing very soon. Europe is already in a recession. The Swiss have pegged their currency to the Euro, so a "strong" currency has now become weak. As the dollar rises, commodities will fall thus weakening the rock currencies. Right now the US dollar has no competition among currencies.

I believe the dollar is probably going higher, a lot higher.

For disclosure I am short the Euro, silver and base metals. "IT", may be starting.

• Options
    For disclosure I am short the Euro, silver and base metal commods. "IT", may be starting.

Seems like a reasonable strategy right now. I still think silver can be a wild card. It just finished a bounce off the lower 2 hr BB this morning so a move back upwards
    would fit in the pattern. GDXJ made a nice move down basically independent of GDX, couldn't help but pick some up at under $35.10. The quick rebound to $35.90 was
    too tempting, so I unloaded it an hour later. GSR moved back above 45 suggesting more headwinds for PM weakness. We're not far from end of month/qtr negative influences
    on the PMs'. And with weakness already being shown, odds are good it's only going to accelerate. Bob Hoye had some interesting charts on copper this week suggesting it's
    pretty ripe for at least a 10% correction.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Silver is very tough to trade--HIGHLY emotional. Frankly I wouldnt be surprised to see silver close lower on the year or above $50.

RE:copper--FCX hit a 52 wk low. Since peaking in Feb, copper has been on a slow and steady decline--maybe accelerating now?

Also for disclosure, my trades are mostly very short term oriented so I may or may not hold these positions tomorrow.

• Options
    Gold seems to have found support at 1780 for now, but it looks like we'll probably have to wait until Thursday for a bottom to be put in. Got a newsletter with some interesting points that I'll summarize that point a bullish picture for gold:

1. In 18 of last 22 years, gold has rallied between Labor Day and Xmas.
    2. The announcement by Swiss Natl Bank to buy Euros removes the Swiss Franc a "safe have" or alternative.
    3. The announcement by five major central banks to provide liquidity for Europe.
    4. The current negative real interest rate environment.
    5. The True Money Supply continues to rise exponentially.

Finally a fitting quote I'll pass on:
    First a quote by President Andrew Jackson: “Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time, and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in bread-stuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits among yourselves, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God, I will rout you out.” (Spoken to a delegation of bankers requesting the extension of the 1832 Bank Renewal Act).

Will probably not be posting too much after this week as I'll be doing some international travel. First about 10 days in France, and then a few weeks later 3 weeks in Australia. Will have my eyes and ears open to see what good information I can pick up.
  • Options
    1. In 18 of last 22 years, gold has rallied between Labor Day and Xmas.

Roger that. But we've also probably never seen such a wild July/August since the 1970's. It may well trump/net out any of the usual strong
    Sept-Nov seasonality. Then again, it might not. image These metals have a mind of their own now.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i> These metals have a mind of their own now.

roadrunner >>

Agreed, and its really good to see.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac