I love this design

1826 8R

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this design

Just great. More competition.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't look at me. I already got mine.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's with these dealers in US coins getting into world coins?

Am I the only one who believes this "circulated in early America" crap is just a way to move cleaned/damaged Pillars? (Look at the Stacks-Bowers Philadelphia Americana sale.)
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It seems to have been happening steadily for a year or two. I actually bought the finest graded 1771 Geo.III 1/2 d (MS66RB) for peanuts two years ago in a Stacks auction. They had started listing them in "colonial coins" so none of the other 3 collectors of these saw it. One of the delaers got all over me in the US forum for calling one of his coins (in AU58) fairly common, he was quite vocal that it was an extreme rarity. I pointed out that at least 2-3 of them come up for auction every year in the US so it does not qualify as rare to me, he apparantly took great exception to that.

If you look on ebay now there are a ton of newbie world dealers with stuff now priced at many multiples of book value, trying to get the prices on toned coins up in the stratosphere with US toners, or comon 19th/20th C. coins in MS65 for really high prices. There is one guy in particular who has a coin I would like to buy, but he ranges from 50-100% above recent auction prices and won't come down, one of them in particular he has had listed on ebay since last December. There is also one dealer in world gold on ebay that cracks me up, almost everything listed as "NGC Rare Gem", doesn't matter if it's a 1914 French Rooster in MS63, a 1910 Sov. in AU55 or a 1887 Sov. in EF45. At least I can just look at the auction title and know not to waste time looking at the listing.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the design and appreciate these- I did not buy this one

I think what JCM wrote is basically where things are- I will add a slight twist- at some point other countries with a rising middle class will want their own coins. I suspect a world view will eventually catch on and rarity will take on new meaning

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems to have been happening steadily for a year or two. I actually bought the finest graded 1771 Geo.III 1/2 d (MS66RB) for peanuts two years ago in a Stacks auction. They had started listing them in "colonial coins" so none of the other 3 collectors of these saw it. One of the delaers got all over me in the US forum for calling one of his coins (in AU58) fairly common, he was quite vocal that it was an extreme rarity. I pointed out that at least 2-3 of them come up for auction every year in the US so it does not qualify as rare to me, he apparantly took great exception to that.

If you look on ebay now there are a ton of newbie world dealers with stuff now priced at many multiples of book value, trying to get the prices on toned coins up in the stratosphere with US toners, or comon 19th/20th C. coins in MS65 for really high prices. There is one guy in particular who has a coin I would like to buy, but he ranges from 50-100% above recent auction prices and won't come down, one of them in particular he has had listed on ebay since last December. There is also one dealer in world gold on ebay that cracks me up, almost everything listed as "NGC Rare Gem", doesn't matter if it's a 1914 French Rooster in MS63, a 1910 Sov. in AU55 or a 1887 Sov. in EF45. At least I can just look at the auction title and know not to waste time looking at the listing. >>

too funny
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.