Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a Byzantine piece?

I bought this a couple of weeks back in a junk bin, but was only gambling that it was worth the half dollar I paid for it. Can someone help me attribute it? Or is it too far gone to decipher? Thanks! -Dan

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does indeed look like a Byzantine follis, but that is about all the information I can personally offer, I'm afraid.

Edit to add: you paid fifty cents for it? You did well! I can say that much, too. image

(It's probably not the cherrypick of the century, but heck, for fifty cents, you're in definite "can't lose" territory!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah- as you have probably guessed, that would be a facing portrait of Christ on the obverse (with a halo behind His head).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That is quite a deal! I really need to start searching the junk bins.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it appears to be one of the anonymous bronze coinage of the mid 10th thru 11th centuries. There are several series of these which have similar obverses - Christ bust - but different reverses. Gernerally common and inexpensive in lower grade, well stuck high grade pieces bring big premiums.

edited to add: just saw the reverse, and I think it looks like the class B variety (cross with legend in corners). These are attributed to Romanus III (1028-1034). I'm not an expert, altho I do find the varieties a lot of fun and have a few examples. BTW, these are often overstruck on other varieties so can have elements of more than one type showing. Certainly worth half a buck.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Hey, I'd swap you an 1838-D half eagle for it! image

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great! I am very frugal with ancients because they often times are a dime a dozen, literally speaking. -Dan
  • Options
    Should I soak this one in EVOO?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, I'd swap you an 1838-D half eagle for it! image >>

I will think about it! I actually have an extensive collection of dealer tokens. My favorite one is made of aluminum from a dealer in Atlanta and dated 1982. The dealer's name escapes me though. -Dan