Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pennsylvania-P PCGS MS 68 Price?

Can anyone familiar with recent sales tell me what i could get for this coin? I have been out of touch with prices and i have a customer that thinks $3,000 PCGS price guide is whacked and I tend to agree. They are so stingy with the ms68 state quarters right now that I think this coin is super PQ for them to even slab it.

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Try putting it on eBay as a true auction, then you will find its true worth. That is what I would do. You can probably PM Mitch and he can help you towards a price.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the last time I listed my MS67 it did not sell at about half of price guide if that helps.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Mitch who? I remember the old days on the thinly collected series how people would tell me that the 3 or 4 people who need the coin would get together and make sure the seller gives it away. Finally one of the people in one of these groups alerted me to this. Problem is that one needs 2 buyers that really want to win the auction and good coins don't seem to realize the same as a direct sale.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mitch who? I remember the old days on the thinly collected series how people would tell me that the 3 or 4 people who need the coin would get together and make sure the seller gives it away. Finally one of the people in one of these groups alerted me to this. Problem is that one needs 2 buyers that really want to win the auction and good coins don't seem to realize the same as a direct sale. >>

Wondercoin

Mitchell Spivack
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I think Mitch's forum name is wondercoin. I believe his is on the pcgs board of experts for moderns.
    Liberty . . . In God We Trust . . . not just words - A way of life
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall the last coin being offered between $1,500 and $1,750 on ebay. I personally thought that price was a bit low and even considered buying it to have as an extra, but I believe there was no return privilege on that auction so I passed. The one grade under MS67 coins fetch well under $100 these days I think. So, the MS68 coin price really depends upon who needs it at any given moment to end up with a "high" or "low" price. On top of that, a high quality piece might certainly command the top of the pricing grid, while a low quality specimen might result in a low price since a nice MS67 coin is only worth about $100 tops. There are very few public auction records on this coin .... most of them traded privately years back. When the Delaware MS68 came to auction at Heritage 3 or 4 years ago I believe it fetched around $1,500. The PA has always been close to the DEL in value.... perhaps a bit more valuable than a DEL though.

Hope this helps.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I agree Mitch. Well put and you deserve to be the head guru of moderns. I do prefer the title "Godfather of all moderns". My piece is high end and was a crossover from NGC so it has to be truely stellar. i picked my best 35 coins and they only crossed 3 coins. My thought is they did not risk it unless they were midway in the grade range. I think crossover grades are togher on ms 67 and above. probably could do better cracking and subbing......hmmmmmm
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark. Congrats on getting 3 crosses! If I may ask, what were your other 2?

Wondercoin.

Edited to add ... there are many NGC-MS68 PA prices realized and they tend to be in the $250-$400 range. Here is a solid example of the PCGS coin commanding multiples of the NGC coin in the same grade. Mark mentions a lot of 35 coins resulting in less than a 10% crossover rate (and his best 35 pieces at that). From my personal experience, the 2 grading services have been using a different standard for these coins for nearly a decade now. That comment is not directed at "who is right and who is wrong" ... but simply my opinion from everything I have seen. So, the typical collector can buy a PA PCGS-MS67 for under $100, an NGC-MS68 for around $250-$400 and a PCGS-MS68 for $1,500 - $2,500+. A little something for everyone.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, the other 2 are 1992-d and 1994-d in 67fb. I know others would equate but crossing is rough. There are a lot of NGC people who actually have a tough time crossing PCGS coins they claim but it really depends on the series. NGC is actually tougher on some stuff. Just try and get them to grade 1976 coins in 70UC along with others. They do not accept any carbon specs. Looking at coinfacts 1976 proof coins (halves, quarters and IKE's) PCGS accepts or has accepted more than just carbon specs.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    $1,500-$1,800
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    When did you get the coin graded? It's not showing up in either the Population Report or Registry... it usually shows up in the Registry right away.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    $300
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file