Home Sports Talk
Options

Another Hockey death

jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
TORONTO - Former Toronto Maple Leafs winger-defenceman and enforcer Wade Belak was found dead in his downtown Toronto condo Wednesday, sources say.

He is the latest in a line of several NHL pugilists who died over the past decade from unusual circumstances including suicide, alcohol and drug abuse.

Belak killed himself, according to sources.

Toronto Police refused comment after being called to the condo at 1 King St. W., where a man's body was found.

Belak, 35, who was just signed on for the popular Battle of the Blades reality TV show, was found dead around 1:33 p.m., the source said.

He hanged himself, according to a source.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does seem to be a rash of similar incidents. I'm sure being a pro athlete is not all sunshine and lollipops.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    he was waived by the Preds last season, but I think he transitioned right to a TV role...or officially an "organizational role" with Nashville and he also did NHL Network analysis during the playoffs. I suppose we'll soon find out if this was a substance abuse issue, or a quality of life issue ie concussions/depression/dementia from which, or a 'what am I going to do with my life post NHL now' or financial issue. Sadly this probably won't be the last one. John Scott, the Hawks' enforcer, shed some light on what he and others go through recently, and it's something that a lot more 1970's thinking Don Cherry clone-knuckledragging organizational/league cretins need to address.

I don't think people understand the nerves and the kind of mindset that fighters go through," Scott said. "I've stayed up nights not sleeping a wink because I know I'm going to fight someone the next day. It's one of those situations where it's not natural to go out and fight every day or to have that constant threat of a fight, even though it might not come. … Some guys might not be able to sleep, and they take some stuff to help them sleep.

edit to add: in other quality of life news Marc Savard out for the season, probably a career. But hey, at least Matt Cooke will still be around.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    This has been a really bad and strange offseason for the NHL in regards to player deaths.