Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Date of Issue for Boys' Magazine Boxing Cards: 1922 (SGC) or 1926 (PSA) Who is right?

Hey guys. Not sure if anyone can answer my question, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

SGC has the date of issue on these cards as 1922. PSA says 1926. Who's right? SGC? PSA? Neither?

Here are some examples.
imageimageimage

I have a theory, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts before I offered my opinion.

Thanks!

Alan
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Comments

• Options
    1922= Boys Magazine, 1926= Boys own Magazine

Source
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I believe they're from 1922. PSA is still figuring out some of their boxing release dates.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>1922= Boys Magazine, 1926= Boys own Magazine

Source >>

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I have been convinced for some time that the Boys' Magazine boxing cards were released in 1922, in part because of this very thing (and similar looking soccer cards that were also released c1922). Thanks for posting the source!!!

Overall, Boys' Magazine released some very interesting boxing cards in 1922. Not only did they release the cards highlighted in the previous post, but they also released a mixed sport set known as "64 Footballers & Sportsmen," which looked like this:

And if you know me, you know that I could not mention the 64 Footballers & Sportsmen set without posting perhaps the two favorite cards from my collection:
    imageimage

These cards have remained uncut and intact for over 80 years! Normally they are found cut (like the McTigue above). I'd run back into a burning building to rescue these two cards!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Amazing cards, Alan. Thank you for sharing those!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff