Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Coin That Sold on eBay

MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
Here is an interesting coin that sold recently on eBay. It is a 1934-D Walker with a planchet flaw on reverse through "HALF". It sold for $102.52 + 5.00 shipping. I was not a bidder or seller. Pictures could be a lot better. Hard to tell what this would have graded absent planchet flaw. Seller claimed that PCGS would have graded this coin (awarded a numerical grade as opposed to genuine) if sent in under error service and noted "the lamination". Is this correct?

Hypothetically, if a coin had multiple problems (say cleaned as well as planchet flaw), would PCGS note more than one on the holder? How would they indicate say 93 for planchet flaw and 92 for cleaning?

Finally, what do you think of the sale price? I think it was a pretty good deal considering the somewhat unobtrusive nature of the planchet flaw. I might have been a bidder if I had not made a recent large purchase.

imageimage
image Respectfully, Mark

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a coin with multiple problems, PCGS will specify on the label the number for what they deem as the worst problem.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planchet laminations are manufacturing defects and not errors. They should be in "genuine" holders.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Planchet laminations are manufacturing defects and not errors. They should be in "genuine" holders. >>

Huh? Aren't all mint errors manufacturing defects?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planchet flaws and Planchet laminations
    are considered Errors.

Some qualify to be tagged as such, and
    some are too minor to be tagged as an
    error.

It's a judgment call -
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file