Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I don't know about you but I miss the ole DLRC.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you, they just aren't the same any moreimage and I miss them.
Editied to add: Don't get me wrong they do a lot of things right but there are some things that I would like to change, what say you guys lets get some constructive criticism?

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Whats changed for you and when?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never cared much for their coins. I bought two coins in the Richmond Collection sale, and one additional coin that was off-quality and was later sold. I never check their site.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about them a while back.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to buy occasionally from them and always checked their site. I no longer do either. They didn't do anything directly to me or provide bad coins or service. The reason I don't shop them any more is that I hate their site and find the "constant auction" format is annoying.

It's just me, but I get to spend my $$ where I choose and they are no longer on my radar.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I never check their site either...
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the pseudo-auction format either. Reminds me of the "art auction" on the cruise ship.

Do fixed price or true auctions, don't play this in between game.

It's like these people at a coin show you don't know if they are collectors or dealers. It facilitates biz when people know what your deal is.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean....I think. They used to have all levels of coins. Now they just have all high end coins.

They pretty much priced me out.image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have not bought a coin from them in a year, but have bought quite a few prior to that (20 plus) and always felt they treated me well. 95 percent of what i bought from them was over the phone, i did not play in the auction forum they run. To add to that they are the only dealer that i have ever been able to sell to that paid me well. I sold them some coins that i had purchased from them and they either gave me 100 percent money back or more and this was pretty much done over the phone. Iam not a big fan of what i call there new web site layout but overall i have no complaints.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Since they no longer run true auctions, I don't bother with DLRC anymore.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right-I quit buying from them also. I hope someone there reads this thread. Bob
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are right-I quit buying from them also. I hope someone there reads this thread. Bob >>

The owner is a forum member but he posts here very infrequently.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the high heel they used to be has been ground down.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was always treated professionally and courteously by the DL staff. I am having a hard time understanding the astronomical prices attached to their colorful commems as I think there are very few collectors willing to pay multiples of retail for most of those examples in their inventory.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    I have bought a number of items over the years and been very satisfied but not in the past year. I rarely check them out anymore for 2 reasons: 1) It's the same coins over and over in their "auctions" and (2) They stopped carrying currency (I collect both coins and currency).
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their scans of the coins are terrible. You cannot see the coins well enough not to mention any detail like dates and mint marks etc. There are enough coins on other sites and auction sites with very good photos. Why would I go through the hassle/gamble of getting a coin from them?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I no longer surf their new site as often as the old and they have most everything listed on EBay anyway so there's no need.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>I no longer surf their new site as often as the old and they have most everything listed on EBay anyway so there's no need. >>

They list stuff on eBay as an advertising mechanism from what I can tell. I have seen them list things on eBay 15-20% higher than they are on the website just in case something does sell on there so they cover the eBay/PayPal fees.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I've honestly not purchased a coin from DLRC in several years, but the couple of times that I did I was treated very well. I even once returned a coin and received a written apology that the coin didn't meet my expectations with a request that I not give up on them. I was very impressed with the letter and purchased a several coins afterwards. But I will add, there images have never been good.

When did things change at DLRC?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    To be clear, I never had an issue with the service. I was always treated professionally.

I don't care for the pseudo-auction format either. Reminds me of the "art auction" on the cruise ship.

I completely agree, and perhaps it was when they started this platform that I stopped shopping the site. My impression was that the coins were reserved at strong retail, but it allowed for the possibility of someone to come along and pay even more. I suppose that if I were really interested in a coin, I could have called, asked for the best price, etc., but it all seemed like a hassle, and there were rarely coins of interest for me, so I just stopped going there.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems as though that more and more dealers are only interested in collectors with deep pockets.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    I stoped buy from them too becasue of the fake auction format. Your option in there action are to pay retail or more than retail. Those are the only two options.
  • Options
    Do they charge an auction fee to the buyer when the auction is on their own website? If they do, I would call that just plain laughable.
  • Options

<< <i>Do they charge an auction fee to the buyer when the auction is on their own website? If they do, I would call that just plain laughable. >>

I don't recall, but if they do, it is transparent, and you can easily calculate it and back it out of your bid (like you do at Heritage and other coin auctions).
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I once liked them, but no longer have the opportunity to do business. About a year ago, I placed a bid (~$1,000 I think) on a coin which did not meet their reserve. Subsequently, I found the coin elsewhere and bought it. Well, the dlrc auction ended and the reserve was unmet, so dlrc contacts me and says, "We've accepted your bid." Of course, my reply was, "No thanks, I've purchased elsewhere." To that, DLRC promptly cancelled my bid and blocked my account from future bidding. WTF??? I see the result as more their loss than mine...Heritage, Teletrade, Bowers, or any other dealer has ever had a problem taking my money.

Edited: Just as a note, the year prior to my "Ban," I spent thousands of $$$$$ with DLRC. That shows ZERO customer service skill on their part. I'm not fighting the ban nor am I too upset, they rarely have anything that I'm looking for. Most of their inventory is mid-level quality.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Amazing they're still in business, considering the overwhelming negative comments.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "hidden reserves" on all of their "auction" coins are extremely off-putting ...
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    I bought one coin from them recently and just as RYK said they put the reserve at retail but allowed me to duke it out with another forum member to above retail. Because I tried to bid with strategy, I bid up to about 2 levels below my top bid (which was more than it should have been but the coin doesn't trade too often in my perfect range) at a logical increment level of $1000 which they met me at but my previous bid took it because it was entered first. About an hour before the end of the auction I decided to put in a higher bid by one 100$ increment as bid insurance but as soon as I did it raised my bid against myself. I won the auction but called and complained that their system had me bid against myself and they lowered my bid and took payment and overnighted the coin which I thought was nice. I haven't seen many collector grade coins since. You can tell this is the coin due to the crappy scan.

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I bid on something once and was high bidder but below their reserve. The next day I check and I'm now the high bidder of a "reserve met" auction. I guess they decided to accept my bid but it still seemed a bit shady to do that without asking the high bidder. I too do not like the fake auction format on their site.
    GMan
  • Options
    I've never done business with DLRC, but I bought a nice bust half from Alpine Numismatics in July 2010 that had sold in a DLRC auction in March 2010. I discovered this through the PCGS Cert Verification, where they now list previous auction appearances. I assume that Alpine bought it from DLRC. Here is the coin, courtesy of BluCCphotos:

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Not the same company since Win left them.
    I have no problems with them but I feel as
    if the personal connection has been lost.

I absolutely hate their fake auction format.
    Their eBay listings are all I see of their stock
    as I never go to their site anymore.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still browse them, but it's been over a year since I bought. They just don't usually have anything I want. I understand the fake auction format and factor it in. I actually didn't know Win was gone, so that shows how much I pay attention to them.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't know about you but I miss the ole DLRC. >>

Looks like I am also in the group that don't......
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    So this thread has about 33 replies and I can't say that I count many positive thoughts. image
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not who they once were.

Got a skeleton crew now.

And getting smaller all the time.
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I've had good success with them. Matt is a great guy to deal with over the phone and at shows. I
  • Options
    I rarely deal with them because most of their inventory is priced at retail or higher, but I've always found John Brush to be very helpful at shows and over the phone. I can occasionaly find nice coins at "wholesale" levels. They also ship very quickly.
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, and I thought it was just me or something......like everyone else, I used to buy from them, used to scan their site, never had any problems, yada yada, but now they are just an afterthought, if that, for the reasons others have already stated.
    They did do a great service by posting many of their (and others) reference books for easy on-line access though.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Since they no longer run true auctions, I don't bother with DLRC anymore. >>

I agree,

IMO its pretty much a form of a scam to run those types of auctions. They pretend to be real auction format however every coin has one bid and happens to be just one bid from the reserve.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago, I used to visit their website a couple of times a week. As many others have stated, their fake auctions were a huge turnoff. If I wanted something, I always felt my final bid would result in me paying more than retail. I don't visit their website anymore.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you, they just aren't the same any moreimage >>

Well Dang Al!

First its Heritage and now its DLRC!

Although, I miss the old DLRC site as well since their new one just seems too time consuming to navigate through~!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully they will read this thread and make appropriate adjustments. >>

This thread should prove to be valuable to them. Hard to buy this type of feedback.

The site is a train wreck IMO. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    I registered there a while ago but never bought for most of the reasons already stated. The site is confusing and when I did visit I would always try to filter out the "auctions" but I haven't visited their site in a long time.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has sent them this thread. image
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    They've read it. Kinda telling that there hasn't been a dlrc reply...

Edited to add: ...maybe they're busy fixing their business model.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    In all fairness, when they changed the site a couple of years ago, Mr.Feigenbaum personally came on here and addressed our concerns and corrected the issues within hours. I haven't dealt with them much, but I must say I was impressed with their service when I have.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I agree with others that they made a mistake moving from fixed price inventory to their present odd auction format. The move seemed to suggest they know longer know how to set a fair fix price, and yet that does not stop them from setting reserves. Way too much work to track and bid, but I don't even think they are getting the quality coins they used to get. Too bad really.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got a skeleton crew now.

And getting smaller all the time. >>

I go on vacation and this comes up?

I don't know where to start, but this comment, is completely untrue.

We are far from a skeleton crew and we are working harder and more than we have in quite some time! Business has been quite good and we are continuing to travel as much (or much more than) many national dealers.

If you'd like to have a discussion with me about anything written on here or insinuated, I'd be happy to discuss that privately or once I return to the office next week.

Thanks and PM away!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to buy occasionally from them and always checked their site. I no longer do either. They didn't do anything directly to me or provide bad coins or service. The reason I don't shop them any more is that I hate their site and find the "constant auction" format is annoying. >>

+1000

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file