Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 Topps Cello Pack Rip

Thought I would share the results of a recent 1969 cello pack rip. I decided to open as we waited for Hurricane Irene to blow through...

Centering was an issue throughout the pack.

Decent slugger - unfortunately not a star.

Very happy to get this. But the centering is off.

Love it but again centering is way off. By the way, this was the back card but there was no notation of such on the PSA slab.

Question - are any of these "White Letter variations"? I am really unschooled on the whole topic.

Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    You don't have any white letters. If you're going to open cello packs it's a good idea to open packs that display nicely centered cards. It's not 100% but the centering you see will often run consistent.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Intuitively, I agree. But then again, I have opened many packs that contain both nicely centered and off-centered cards.

What the heck is a White Letter variation anyway?
    Nikklos
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Some players have cards with their last names in both yellow and white. When that is the case, the white are usually much more scarce.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    The McCovey and Bolin look white to me.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    They are, but there is not a yellow letter variation for those. Five Mantles may have yellow letters for every one white version. Make sense?

Also, great pack rip and nice score with two HOFers, off center or not. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Thanks! I was pretty happy with the Carew and McCovey and oddly really like all the others too!

It is strange, because on EBAY, I have seen McCoveys advertised as "White Letter variations" and the PSA slab notes "Last Name in White".
    Nikklos
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The McCovey and Bolin look white to me. >>

It does?

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The McCovey and Bolin look white to me. >>

<< <i>They are, but there is not a yellow letter variation for those >>

Maybe I'm just anemic or have jaundice but they sure look yellow to me.
  • Options
    Well I am sort of color-blind.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Nice 69 pack rip, here is an example of the white and yellow letter variations for the mantle so you can see examples-

imageimage
  • Options
    Now that's the card I was looking for when I opened the pack!! Same series...I was very disappointed.

The yellow in your Mantle is definitely more pronounced than any yellow in my McCovey.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Really? In the photo, you're McCovey looks VERY yellow...

There is a McCovey white letter variation but yours is definitely yellow.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see a 60's rip on the board...two HOF's in one rip - that's pretty good.

Not a bad rip at all except of course for the centering.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    The McCovey is a white letter variation and the dropcloth is the Shroud of Turin...
  • Options
    OK I will defer to those who not color-blind to make the yellow-white differentiation!

Nikklos
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    OMG! All these years later, we finally discover the Shourd of Turin really depicts Willie McCovey!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 52 high numbered topps baseball pack. Can anyone tell me which cards I should be looking for? I hate to say it; but I will. If you have to ask alot of questions and you're dealing with older expensive cards.....................................then you should not be dealing with older expensive cards. I never quite understand this.
  • Options
    I guess some of us can afford to learn as we go.

There was one question asked.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess some of us can afford to learn as we go.

There was one question asked. >>

You're OK Nikklos. At least you didn't run for the door after the first snarky answer. BTW, helluva rip! image
  • Options
    Thanks! Not sure that the contents pay for the pack and I don't know much, but I do know that scarce commodities like fresh out of the pack vintage cards will only appreciate in value.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    How can you tell the difference between a fresh pack pulled card and one that has been sitting in a box for 40 years image
  • Options
    Good point. I will clarify: It's the same difference. But either way you slice it, they are a limited resource!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i> they are a limited resource! >>

The only limited resource here was the pack that you opened. None of those cards are rare or will ever be rare. The pack on the other hand....
  • Options
    That's a good point too. But definitely more fun to open!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    I'll agree to that.
  • Options
    And this is the gambler in me talking - gambling whether it be unopened packs, blackjack or the Market:

Unopened packs are scarce and getting scarcer but the price only has appreciated to coincide to the potential of the cards inside. It's a bit of arbitrage.

Pulling a gem mint, no ding, no print spot, perfectly centered card can bring you tenfold of what you paid for the pack itself.

Maybe it's a sucker bet but unlike, let's say the Market, it sure is fun to open those packs.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Always loved the Expos uniform and hat!!
  • Options
    John Boccabella - totally cool
    Nikklos
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Enjoy nikklos. Just having some fun with my snarky comments while bored at the computer. I enjoyed your 1969 cello rip since I collect this year. I appreciate you posting the cards. - Kevin M.
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the white letter varieties are found in rack packs only. Not 100% sure if that is correct. Nice pulls on the Carew and McCovey....
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And this is the gambler in me talking - gambling whether it be unopened packs, blackjack or the Market:

Unopened packs are scarce and getting scarcer but the price only has appreciated to coincide to the potential of the cards inside. It's a bit of arbitrage.

Pulling a gem mint, no ding, no print spot, perfectly centered card can bring you tenfold of what you paid for the pack itself.

Maybe it's a sucker bet but unlike, let's say the Market, it sure is fun to open those packs. >>

Enjoyed the rip, Nikklos. Thanks for sharing.

Some guy driving a Corvette will come by later and offer you $0.99 for the lot.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And this is the gambler in me talking - gambling whether it be unopened packs, blackjack or the Market:

Maybe it's a sucker bet but unlike, let's say the Market, it sure is fun to open those packs. >>

Enjoyed the rip, Nikklos. Thanks for sharing.

Some guy driving a Corvette will come by later and offer you $0.99 for the lot. >>

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    cool rip. wish i had the stones to rip a 60's cello!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    pm sent.
  • Options
    I'm really tempted to buy this from BBCE and rip it. But $700 for 5 cards? Those aren't good odds of pulling the Mantle or Bench... But verrry tempting.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really tempted to buy this from BBCE and rip it. But $700 for 5 cards? Those aren't good odds of pulling the Mantle or Bench... But verrry tempting.

The value in that pack is in keeping it sealed, as you will lose at least 1 of the 5 cards to gum damage and possibly one other to wax, leaving you with only 3 other cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    White letter with a little ink....this is my favorite card in my collection.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm really tempted to buy this from BBCE and rip it. But $700 for 5 cards? Those aren't good odds of pulling the Mantle or Bench... But verrry tempting.

image >>

Wouldn't you be better off buying the Mantle and the Bench in PSA 8 and keeping the change?
    Joel
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>pm sent. >>

lol. bow chicka bow wow.

• Options
    If you're gonna rip, buying that pack is a sucker's bet for sure. I mean you can buy a PSA 8 Mantle for around $400 give or take a few dollars either way, and of course a 9 would be worth around 3 times that, but you're spending $700 to possibly, "possibly" find a Mantle, and the odds are it won't grade a 9 anyway, probably not even an 8. Yes, there are other cards in there for possible good value, but in any event, it's simply a terrible bet to rip that pack if the intent is to try to make a profit. Maybe if the pack sold for around $200 or $250, I'd buy it and take a shot with the odds being about even.

These vintage PSA slabbed packs are way overpriced by the big dealers in my opinion, but I guess just like Levi, they can afford to wait around and try to get their price.
  • Options

<< <i>

The value in that pack is in keeping it sealed, as you will lose at least 1 of the 5 cards to gum damage and possibly one other to wax, leaving you with only 3 other cards. >>

Yeah, yeah... You sealed pack collectors... image

But this one should have 4 decent cards as there is a game card in there that will hopefully take the brunt of the wax or gum.
  • Options

<< <i>If you're gonna rip, buying that pack is a sucker's bet for sure. I mean you can buy a PSA 8 Mantle for around $400 give or take a few dollars either way, and of course a 9 would be worth around 3 times that, but you're spending $700 to possibly, "possibly" find a Mantle, and the odds are it won't grade a 9 anyway, probably not even an 8. Yes, there are other cards in there for possible good value, but in any event, it's simply a terrible bet to rip that pack if the intent is to try to make a profit. Maybe if the pack sold for around $200 or $250, I'd buy it and take a shot with the odds being about even.

These vintage PSA slabbed packs are way overpriced by the big dealers in my opinion, but I guess just like Levi, they can afford to wait around and try to get their price. >>

I agree with everything you said. You're 100% correct. HOWEVER, there is still something inside of me that says "Opennnn ittttttt....." Unless I find a Delorean and 1.21 jigawatts, I'm never going to be able to go back and open a 60's pack. Of course, the most likely scenario is that I'll pull 5 commons that grade 6-7 and lose $650. But what if WHAT IF, this was that one magical pack with a Gem Mint Mantle or Bench right in the middle of the pack?

That's why I open everything I buy. And that's why I'm busting a CASE of '91 Score right now. Because 1 in every 47 cases have a Mantle auto card. Ha!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The value in that pack is in keeping it sealed, as you will lose at least 1 of the 5 cards to gum damage and possibly one other to wax, leaving you with only 3 other cards. >>

Yeah, yeah... You sealed pack collectors... image

But this one should have 4 decent cards as there is a game card in there that will hopefully take the brunt of the wax or gum. >>

You still aren't convincing me Jarrod. image But I encourage ripping as it will only increase the value of mine unless of course Steve or Eric get a hold of my stuff. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>If you're gonna rip, buying that pack is a sucker's bet for sure. I mean you can buy a PSA 8 Mantle for around $400 give or take a few dollars either way, and of course a 9 would be worth around 3 times that, but you're spending $700 to possibly, "possibly" find a Mantle, and the odds are it won't grade a 9 anyway, probably not even an 8. Yes, there are other cards in there for possible good value, but in any event, it's simply a terrible bet to rip that pack if the intent is to try to make a profit. Maybe if the pack sold for around $200 or $250, I'd buy it and take a shot with the odds being about even.

These vintage PSA slabbed packs are way overpriced by the big dealers in my opinion, but I guess just like Levi, they can afford to wait around and try to get their price. >>

I agree with this logic. Ripping that pack is not great odds, but you never know. As they say in Vegas. "Ya gotta be in it to win it."
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree with everything you said. You're 100% correct. HOWEVER, there is still something inside of me that says "Opennnn ittttttt....." Unless I find a Delorean and 1.21 jigawatts, I'm never going to be able to go back and open a 60's pack. Of course, the most likely scenario is that I'll pull 5 commons that grade 6-7 and lose $650. But what if WHAT IF, this was that one magical pack with a Gem Mint Mantle or Bench right in the middle of the pack?

That's why I open everything I buy. And that's why I'm busting a CASE of '91 Score right now. Because 1 in every 47 cases have a Mantle auto card. Ha! >>

Oh yea, I understand what you're saying, and I "regularly" when I'm in the mood, search ebay for a deal on 1960's unopened packs that are legit. My viewpoint is simply the math...putting up $700 for this pack to try to find the ultimate card, a PSA 9 Mantle in which one just sold on ebay for $1,295 (link below), simply isn't a good risk in my viewpoint.

Ebay 1968 Mantle PSA 9

I'm not sure what the proper pricing for vintage unopened packs really should be compared to the risk of finding equal value cards if opening a number of packs. I already guessed $200 to $250 for this pack, and it may even be lower, I doubt if it is that much higher.

I would agree, the "fun factor" certainly is a consideration. There are some Youtube videos showing these vintage rips, and I found it quite entertaining watching these rips and it wasn't even my rip and I wasn't even there. LOL

Someday when I find the right deal, I'll do a live rip here...and if the "right deal" never comes along...oh well...for me the hunt is half the fun. image
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice Carew!!
    Thanks for sharing.