Home Precious Metals

What should buyers pay for Canadian 80% silver coins? I was just offered....

10 X face. Seriously?? What should we expect for that?

edited to change my title wording. image
Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

Comments

• MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Coinflation lists the Canadian 80% as:

1935-1967 Canadian Dollar (face) $1.00 (silver content value) $24.9178 (looks more like 25X face to me).

For comparison, they list a Morgan as:

1878-1921 Morgan Dollar (face) $1.00 (silver content value) $32.1213

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect less than melt but 10X face is an insult and his way of saying he didn't want them unless he can rip them cheap.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Thanks guys, I was thinking at least 20 X. These aren't mine, but a friend has a bunch and asked me, I didn't have a clue.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    A local company here is offering 21.43 X face with silver at $41.50
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish there was an identifier between the 50% & 80% 1967 silver
    coins. I have several 1967 quarters, I've been told the weight is the
    same for both types. As I understand it, half of 1968 coins are 50% silver,
    and some a nickel, right?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, unfortunately there's really no way to tell the difference between the 50% and 80% silver 1967 dimes/quarters. They switched the composition partway through the year but made no identifier for one type vs the other.

In 1968 they started out minting 50% silver for dimes/quarters, then went to 100% nickel later. Mintages of the 1968 quarters was 71.5M 50% silver, 88.7M nickel. For dimes it was 70.5M 50% silver, ~172M nickel. The nickel ones are easy to identify as they are a different color, and are also magnetic.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Pokermandude.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

• << <i>A local company here is offering 21.43 X face with silver at $41.50 >>

That sounds pretty fair considering the difficulties in determining the actual amount of silver in some of them. The guy offering 10X may have had previous experiences that made him leery of offering too much. I've been stung and the refiners tell me that the nickle ones that escape their attentions foul the process they use to extract and refine the silver. The second time one shows up with a bunch of Canadian 'silver' coinage one finds oneself subject to massively increased scrutiny and less money is offered for them.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.

• << <i>Wish there was an identifier between the 50% & 80% 1967 silver
    coins. I have several 1967 quarters, I've been told the weight is the
    same for both types. As I understand it, half of 1968 coins are 50% silver,
    and some a nickel, right? >>

I have a way, but I'll never tell image

Right now, I'm getting 23x face for 80% and a bit more for the dollars, which is pretty low, but not many people deal in them, so unless you have enough to take to a refiner, you aren't going to get much for them.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U.S. 90% can be easily verified by looking at the edges of a stack of coins.

Canadian 80% with the mature head Queen Elizabeth has to be date checked coin by coin. This makes it less desirable to handle.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.