Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card shop burns in Medina, Ohio (April, 2011)

So I was looking around for any local card shops and came across a shop in Medina, Ohio (Medina Sports Cards & Collectibles). This is about 45 minutes from my house. So I did a Google search on this place and come across this news article! I can't believe I never heard about this. That sucks! Anyone know this owner or have ever dealt with him?

Comments

• o wow, thats not cool, Id probrably take some of those burnt balls and cards...

thanks for sharing...
  • Article says no injury which is the important issue in fires, but almost wiping out a store like this just sucks.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I live in Parma which isn't all that far from Medina and don't remember reading anything about the fire....also if the guy in the photo is the owner I don't remember him from shows or other "hobby" related functions and places I've been to.....no one hurt so that is good...except for some charcoaled cards...
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious on how the insurance would work on something like that. Can the guy insure items based on high book value even for VG-EX cards? I am in no way implying that the poor owners of that store had any nefarious plot but it does seem like card shop is a losing proposition a large majority of the time. That's one way to get full value for your cards.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I used to go to Bill's Sports Cards. I don't remember it it was Medina or Yankee Lake.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I grew up in Medina and have (had) been going to his place on & off since he first opened 20+ years ago. Bill is a good guy and an excellent businessman. A lot of his stuff was unopened wax that he would not only sell in his store but also online through the Beckett's marketplace.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I grew up in Medina and have (had) been going to his place on & off since he first opened 20+ years ago. Bill is a good guy and an excellent businessman. A lot of his stuff was unopened wax that he would not only sell in his store but also online through the Beckett's marketplace. >>

That is too bad, never want to see that happen to someones business.